LV twin hopper question

Tim O'Connor

Nice view of the underframe.. is this a USRA design or
something built later? I'm guessing later since the photo
date is 1971.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121065745205

Tim O'

David

Nice view of the underframe.. is this a USRA design or
something built later? I'm guessing later since the photo
date is 1971.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121065745205
LV 25000s were the typical anthracite fishbelly twin, but this one either got new sides somewhere along the way or got renumbered from the 20501-21000 series. Built in the '30s either way.

David Thompson

David

Yep, looks like new sides:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/lv/lv25772ajs.jpg

David Thompson

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "David" <jaydeet2001@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@> wrote:
Nice view of the underframe.. is this a USRA design or
something built later? I'm guessing later since the photo
date is 1971.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121065745205
LV 25000s were the typical anthracite fishbelly twin, but this one either got new sides somewhere along the way or got renumbered from the 20501-21000 series. Built in the '30s either way.

David Thompson

Tim O'Connor

David, definitely not just renumbered from 20501-21000. Both series
exist in the 1959 ORER, almost 750 cars. The 25500-25939 series cars
are 1935 cuft, while the 20501-21000 cars are 1822 cuft. There's also
a 25000-25499 series at 1860 cuft.

All three series also exist in 1955, but interestingly the two series
of higher cuft cars both declined pretty dramatically from 1955 to 1959
while the 20501-21000 series held steady.

Tim O'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121065745205
LV 25000s were the typical anthracite fishbelly twin, but this one either got new sides somewhere along the way or got renumbered from the 20501-21000 series. Built in the '30s either way.

David Thompson

RICH CHAPIN

David & Tim,

Earliest ORER LV page I have is April 1921, which shows Series 25000-26999
with 1989 "Coal, steel, hopper bottom" cars. Designation GA, Listed capacity
1788 cu ft. [this varies between ORER] & 100,000 lbs. This class was not
listed on my 1920 page, where the LV data has a September 1920 date.

Rich Chapin

Layout Tour

As David mentioned, this was one of the fishbelly cars. 25000-25499 were
built by Bethlehem Steel in 1939 and 25500-25939 in 1941. They both had an
inside length of 30'11 7/8", with the later having sides 3" higher.

They were modified at the LV's Packerton Shops in the late 50's and early
60's with the fishbelly part of the side removed. 25 of the 32 LV hopper
cars still in service on 4/75 were from the 25500-25939 series.

Chuck Davis

Norfolk, VA

ed_mines

I agree; it's probably a former fishbelly hopper.

As a student of LV cars I've noticed that they rebuilt many of their very unique looking cars into something that looked quite ordinary. More than once I've ordered a photo of what I thought was one of their oddball cars only to find that it had been rebuilt into something that looked ordinary.

Ed Mines