From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@signaturepress.com>

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:36 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Ford Auto Part Shipments

Please note that routings through the Chicago area were not specified on waybills, because the various connecting roads (IHB, EJ&E, B&OCT, BRC, etc.) simply moved cuts of cars around and between their respective territories by mutual agreement. A car moving westward one day might go a different route than one the next day with the same waybill provisions otherwise. So talking about refinements of the Chicago routing are not realistic.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Allen Rueter

On 2nd thought, wouldnt they need to update the waybill to reflect the route used, so the brc/ihb/eje would get there cut.

Allen
via Yahoo! Mail on Android

Schuyler Larrabee

Allan, having forwarded this to another list (erielack), I am questioned on two of these routings:

Sampling Nash Lumber, (summer 1954)

PRR,60543,,Nash Lumber Corp Harlem River NY,SP OGDN (is the link here the only one possible, UP? Or is there another possibility?)CNW WAB ERIE NYNHH VAN NEST SDG,

NYC,159077,,Nash Lumber Corporation Harrison NY,UP CO BLUFFS CNW WAB (and then some magic happens to get to the) LIRR NYNHH,

A) Did you leave something out?

B) Is the answer that there is no option in the PRR example?

C) Did the NYC example travel via DL&W or ERIE to get to the LIRR?

Schuyler

Allen Rueter

Schuyler,
   There are gaps like this on other waybills, I have not seen the originals, having looked at wheel reports, and a Yard book before, it could of been illegible , or left out.
A) Did you leave something out?   No that's what was transcribed.
B) Is the answer that there is no option in the PRR example? It could of gone DRGW CBQ but that seems unlikely
 give the CNW connection, ot even DRGW RI .

C) Did the NYC example travel via DL&W or ERIE to get to the LIRR? I can only say the DLW was a bigger
interchange partner than the Erie with the Wabash at Buffalo.

This could of been Lumber for sale, with no buyer yet!

--
Allen Rueter
StLouis MO

________________________________

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Allen Rueter wrote:
This could of been Lumber for sale, with no buyer yet!
Then why is it waybilled to Nash Lumber, Harrison, NY?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Greg Martin

Allen,

Nash Lumber is obviously a Wholesaler or wholesaling as he is shipping to
so different destinations. But the fact that their are firm destinations
on each bill IU don't believe that these cars are unsold or what we know in
the business as "for furtherance" cars which would not have firm
destinations or what was called "rollers."

The Gaps in the routing sounds like could just be just left out in error.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 2/18/2013 6:06:38 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

[...]

C J Wyatt

<<
The Gaps in the routing sounds like could just be just left out in error.

Greg Martin

I wouldn't call it an error. Maybe something like "partially open routed". If
the shipper does not put in a route, the railroad can fill it in. In these
cases, the shipper knows which railroad it wants the car to start out on and
which one it needs to arrive on, but he might not know the best service route or
even have a knowledge of all of the possible routes. He just leaves it up to
railroad to fill in what it thinks is best.

Jack Wyatt

Allen Rueter

Tony,
   I should of said, it started as a "roller" for sale, by the time it got to Black Rock NY, it must of been sold.

--
Allen Rueter
StLouis MO

Jack Wyatt wrote:
I wouldn't call it an error. Maybe something like "partially open routed". If the shipper does not put in a route, the railroad can fill it in. In these cases, the shipper knows which railroad it wants the car to start out on and which one it needs to arrive on, but he might not know the best service route or even have a knowledge of all of the possible routes. He just leaves it up to railroad to fill in what it thinks is best.
Ssure. But when the originating railroad "fills it in," it's on the waybill. Routing to be determined while en route usually is designated by directing the waybill to an intermediate destination -- but not with gaps in the routing.

Publishers of books on railroad history