AB Brake system on Type 27 tank cars

Bill Welch

I am about finished redetailing and upgrading an InterMountian Type 27 u/f. I am using a Grandt Line Cylinder and AB Valve. I am doing the setup with the valve sitting over the Reservoir. In looking at an AC&F builder's Photo using this set up it appears the Valve was not merely turned over and mounted, but if I can believe what I see, the valve used for this setup was a mirror image of the one mounted under a car. Obvious I am not going to be able to model this look but I am going to have to meditate on how to fit the Dirt Collector, and still have the piping more or less connect where it should. In the more typical mounting, the Dirt Collector orientation does not block the mounting holes for the pipe connections.

Another hard day in the Car Shop.

Bill Welch

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I am about finished redetailing and upgrading an InterMountian Type 27 u/f. I am using a Grandt Line Cylinder and AB Valve. I am doing the setup with the valve sitting over the Reservoir. In looking at an AC&F builder's Photo using this set up it appears the Valve was not merely turned over and mounted, but if I can believe what I see, the valve used for this setup was a mirror image of the one mounted under a car. Obvious I am not going to be able to model this look but I am going to have to meditate on how to fit the Dirt Collector, and still have the piping more or less connect where it should. In the more typical mounting, the Dirt Collector orientation does not block the mounting holes for the pipe connections.

Another hard day in the Car Shop.

Bill Welch
Bill,

It's not a mirror image, it is exactly the same as the ones that mount under the car. The issue is that the prototype valves don't have a huge mounting pin, the center portion of the valve, called the pipe bracket, is just flat top and bottom. with holes cored in the corners for mounting bolts. So, instead of mounting the valve under the car with the top of the pipe bracket bolted tight to the car framing, the whole assembly is mounted on top of the framing, with the bottom of the pipe bracket bolted down tight. I deal with this all the time with Accurail ;art sets; boxcar valves have the peg coming out of the top, while hopper sets have the mounting peg coming out of the bottom of the valve.

What you'll need to do is clip the pin off flush, file the top of the pipe bracket flat, and add some bolt head detail to the top corners.

Gene Green's brake equipment clinic handout had some photos, and I thought it was on this site somewhere, but I can't find it. Here's a pictorial view of a steam era AB valve, front and back, looking from the top:

http://armytransportation.tpub.com/TM-55-203/TM-55-2030077im.jpg

This is the side you'll see on your tank car, the same side that is tight against the floor on a boxcar.

Dennis

Douglas Harding

Dennis, you might be thinking of Gene's freight car under frame document,
which is in the group files. Look for "Freight Car Underbodydetail.pdf"

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org