Topics

Decal Tray was Decal backing color question

North Model Railroad Supplies <nmrs@...>

Trumpeter Models make a neat decal tray.

You fill the bottom tray with sufficient water so the grate on the inner
tray is covered when it is in the lower position.

Once the decal separates from the backing paper you lift the inner tray and
sit it on the bumps in the side of the bottom tray.

This lifts the grate out of the water, so you don't have to chase the decal
around.

There is also a comb if you prefer to lift the decal from the water.

We can supply them, but we're in Australia - so postage to the US tends to
hurt -J.

Here is a link to a photo of one.

<http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=TSM9918>
http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=TSM9918

Not recommending this dealer - in fact the list price is only $5.95 - but
the pic was a good one.

I've had one for about a year now and I really like how it works.

cheers,

David North

David & Rob North

North Model Railroad Supplies Pty. Ltd.

<http://www.northmodelrailroadsupplies.com>
www.northmodelrailroadsupplies.com

Sydney

Australia

StephenK

You can get this on Amazon--just search for "Trumpeter Decal" I'm going to give my LHS a chance first, tho.

Steve Kay

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "North Model Railroad Supplies" <nmrs@...> wrote:

[...]

granpa92@...

They appear to be listed on the Horizon web site. No picture though.

<http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/decal-tray-TSM9918>

Larry Platt

<nmrs@...> wrote:

[...]

Don <riverman_vt@...>

This is opne tool I don't need to invest in. Waiting for a decal
to work off its backing and picking it out of the water by one end with a good pair of tweazers has worked fine for fifty plus years. Why change now? On the other hand, a good pair of decal scissors or sprue mipper from Micro-Mark are much more useful tool investments.
No, I have no association or other connection with Micro-Mark.

Cordially, Don Valentine

<nmrs@> wrote:

[...]

Don said,
This is one tool I don't need to invest in. Waiting for a decal
to work off its backing and picking it out of the water by one end with a
good pair of tweazers has worked fine for fifty plus years. Why change now?

Hi Don,

I didn't mention that I make my own decals using an ALPS printer and Tango
Papa decal paper which is extremely thin and does its level best to fold
over on itself or wrap around whatever you grab it with.

Most of the time, once it had folded over tweezers or itself, it is almost
impossible to unfold.

And because I now have the tray, I use it for commercial decals as well.

But you are right, I coped fine with tweezers for years before I started
"rolling my own" decals.

Cheers

Dave North

Don <riverman_vt@...>

[...]

I've had that happen on occasion with Micro-Scale decals as well, Dave, but how many tools does one really need or have space for? If it happened with some degree of frequency I might feel differently about it.

Cordially, Don Valentine

bill_d_goat

I have had success with the old idea of using a magic marker/Sharpie, etc., to color the back of the decal sheet for white lettering. This makes it easy to see the decal so you can cut it out without cutting into the lettering.
Sometimes a little of the color of the marking pen comes off with the decal so it's best to use the same color marker as the surface you are going to apply the decal to.
I have yet to see an answer (maybe missed it) as to why Champ and later decal makers insisted in using light colored decal paper. Is there a technical reason why dark colored decal paper won't work. Or did Champ once get a huge disouont on pink decal paper?
Bill Williams