From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@signaturepress.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:51 PM
Subject: [STMFC] information value of RP Cyc issues

No doubt many on this list have been buying some or all of the RP Cyc issues as they come out. I just want to stress how valuable the information in them is, and to thank Ed Hawkins and Pat Wider for the richness of their contributions.
An example of the kind of debt I owe this publication and its writers is my column in the April 2013 issue of _Model Railroad Hobbyist_ (like all issues of MRH, it is available free for download; for this month, see: http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh-2013-04-apr ). In that column, I talk about "signature" freight cars of selected railroads, but the great majority of the citations to sources of prototype information are to RP Cyc.
Incidentally, I have also discussed the "signature freight car" concept in my blog, in this post:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013/04/signature-freight-cars.html

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 http://www.signaturepress.com/
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

Schuyler Larrabee

Agreed, I bought a couple and then scrambled to find the ones I’d missed. They are extremely valuable when you have questions – answers there in documented detail. And it’s easy to see the large amount of work involved.

Schuyler

From: Brad Andonian
I must echo Tony---- my sincere thanks to Ed and Pat for wonderful work! I just got issue 26 today and it sure looks great. Now if I could just locate a copy of #20......

Brad Andonian
Seattle
________________________________
From: Anthony Thompson
[...]

Staffan Ehnbom <staffan.ehnbom@...>

Somewhat to my surprise (and also thanks to list member Bill Pardie, who generously donated early sellout issue no. 20), I have succeeded in securing all the RPCyc issues. It is a treasure! I noticed that volumes 20-24 sold out quickly. Is this a result of increased interest or reduced number of copies printed?

I also enjoyed Tony's article on "significant freight cars". I was wondering whether you'd mention the 24000 GN 40' truss rod 40 ton box cars built 1901-1917. They probably had an even greater impact on the GN freight car fleet (40000 cars) than the 29000 X29 cars had on the much larger PRR fleet and could often be spotted in yard scenes all over North America for many years. Westerfield has the kits for them.

The two GN cars you chose were definitely "significant", though. The change to a side faceing goat in the monogram came about around 1940, but the text still stayed SEE AMERICA FIRST GLACIER NATIONAL PARK. It is not until 1947 that the monogram with the GREAT NORTHERN RAILWAY text was introduced.

Staffan Ehnbom

[...]

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

I too have found RPCyc to be an invaluable resource. I have acquired all volumes except Vol. 3. If anyone on the list would like to sell Vol. 3, please contact me off list.

Nelson Moyer

On Apr 3, 2013, at 3:11 AM, "Staffan Ehnbom" <staffan.ehnbom@telia.com> wrote:

[...]

Don Burn

Like Nelson I am in the process of finishing my collection, but I need 3,4,5,6 and 7 so any hints would be appreciated.

Don Burn

[...]

thompson@signaturepress.com Publishers of books on railroad history

mrprksr <mrprksr@...>

Keep an eye on 'ABE Books'....they had about a dozen different issues the last
time I checked....Lar

________________________________
[...]

markrossiter67 <Mark.Rossiter@...>

Ron's Books has 16 issues listed, some early ones:
http://www.ronsbooks.com

Once on the site, do an 'exact word' search on prototype cyclopedia.

Mark Rossiter

thompson@... Publishers of books on railroad history

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Staffan Ehnbom wrote:
I also enjoyed Tony's article on "significant freight cars". I was wondering whether you'd mention the 24000 GN 40' truss rod 40 ton box cars built 1901-1917. They probably had an even greater impact on the GN freight car fleet (40000 cars) than the 29000 X29 cars had on the much larger PRR fleet and could often be spotted in yard scenes all over North America for many years. Westerfield has the kits for them.

The two GN cars you chose were definitely "significant", though. The change to a side faceing goat in the monogram came about around 1940, but the text still stayed SEE AMERICA FIRST GLACIER NATIONAL PARK. It is not until 1947 that the monogram with the GREAT NORTHERN RAILWAY text was introduced.
Staffan makes an important point: choice of "signature" cars depends on era. In an earlier era than my own 1953, the GN truss-rod cars would have been a dominant part of the GN fleet. In fact, anyone modeling a different era than mine would HAVE to make different choices. My point in writing the column was not to advocate my OWN choices, but to illustrate HOW one can go about choosing which signature cars to model. I should also mention that I didn't talk about my home road, SP, for which my range of choices and preferences are entirely different than what I might choose for "foreign" roads. As a GN modeler, Staffan knows what I am talking about.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Surely there is a self-help group for those who would sell an RP Cyc. I can just imagine, "Hi, my name is Ernie and I sold my RP Cyc number X." A chorus of 'Hi, Ernies' would follow. Any time someone encounters a person who sold one that person should begin at once to organize a STMFC intervention. I mean, after all ...

Gene Green