Topics

WPM 2013 Photos Posted

dh30973

I have posted the photos from this years WPM meet, held Saturday April 13, 2013 in the San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot
http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/wpm2013&;page=all

Dave Hussey

Don <riverman_vt@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "dh30973" <dhussey@...> wrote:

I have posted the photos from this years WPM meet, held Saturday April 13, 2013 in the San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot
http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/wpm2013&;page=all

Nice to see that there are B&M modelers on the Left Coast but damn little Steam Era modeling is apparent in the photos.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Bruce Smith

Don,

Guess we need to organize a road trip for next year <VBG>??
Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

__

/ &#92;

On Apr 17, 2013, at 7:27 AM, Don wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com<mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com>, "dh30973" <dhussey@...> wrote:

I have posted the photos from this years WPM meet, held Saturday April 13, 2013 in the San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot
http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/wpm2013&;page=all

Nice to see that there are B&M modelers on the Left Coast but damn little Steam Era modeling is apparent in the photos.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Well, after all Don, 1950 was 63 years ago... Time marches on.

I hope WPM can expand into a serious 3-day meet like Naperville. That would make the trip worthwhile.
And I'd love to see more post-steam modeling and history clinics.

Tim O'Connor

I have posted the photos from this years WPM meet, held Saturday April 13, 2013 in the San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot
http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/wpm2013&;page=all

Nice to see that there are B&M modelers on the Left Coast but damn little Steam Era modeling is apparent in the photos.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 17, 2013, at 5:27 AM, Don <riverman_vt@yahoo.com> wrote:

. damn little Steam Era modeling is apparent in the photos.

Cordially, Don Valentine
I noticed the same thing, Don. However, WPM was founded years ago by modern modelers (from my perspective, "modern" is post-1960) and has always drawn most of its support from modelers of later eras. It's not that the organizers are at all hostile to steam era prototype modelers, but more modern modeling has always been the primary focus of the meet, just as steam and transition era modeling has tended, in the past, to be the main focus of the Naperville RPM meet. I've never attended WPM but have seriously considered doing so, since I know it is a fine and well organized meet, only to find that every year it turns out that I have some sort of schedule conflict.

Part of the problem, of course (as Tim pointed out) is that time flies, not only when you're having fun but even when you're not. A couple of years ago at a Santa Fe Historical Society meeting I did a clinic on steam locomotives I had run, ridden, photographed, etc. There were about 50 people in the room, but when I asked how many remembered seeing steam power in revenue service, only about five hands went up (and one of those was Stan Kistler's). It's often said that modelers are inclined to model what they experienced in childhood or adolescence, and if that's true the focus of the hobby is bound to keep shifting ahead in time, leaving us steam era guys behind. Let's face it, most modelers of the steam/transition era are now rather long in the tooth. Younger guys who choose to do so are modeling a period they only know from photos, videos made from (usually crude) movies, and old-timer narratives in magazines like Classic Trains. Aside from increasingly rare "rail fan runs" of the few surviving big steam locos - which aren't at all like the days of steam in regular daily service - there is no opportunity for people today to experience the size, noise, exposed machinery, and ground-shaking weight of main line steam in action that imparted to you and me our fascination with steam locomotion.

Richard Hendrickson