Murphy and Hutchins Style Freight Car Roofs

Dave Sarther

List Members,

I am hoping that some of the members on this list can help me find
illustrations and photos of the Hutchins style(s) of box car roofs and
the Murphy style(s) of freight car roofs.

Thanks, Dave Sarther

Richard Hendrickson

On May 5, 2013, at 11:29 AM, DaveS <sartherdj@aol.com> wrote:

List Members,

I am hoping that some of the members on this list can help me find
illustrations and photos of the Hutchins style(s) of box car roofs and
the Murphy style(s) of freight car roofs.
Dave, these are well illustrated in the Car Builders' Cyclopedias of that era. If you don't have access to them, I can scan them for you.

Richard Hendrickson

David Sieber

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sarther wrote: "I am hoping that some of the members on this list can help me find illustrations and photos of the Hutchins style(s) of box car roofs and the Murphy style(s) of freight car roofs.

Dave, try the STMFC List Photo album, "Roofs, Freight Car," at:
HTH, Dave Sieber, Reno NV

Dave Sarther

Richard,

Scans of the roof illustrations for the Hutchins Dry Lading and Murphy style freight car roofs would be extremely helpful as I do not have Car Builders' Cyclopedias.

My research has uncovered a marvelous photo of a scratchbuilt model of an single sheathed O-Scale/P:48 freight car with a Hutchins Dry Lading roof on an MKT model by Jim Zwernemann. Jim's model won 1st place in freight cars at the March O-Scale Show in Chicago. http://www.marchmeet.net/Pix/2013/2013_winners.shtml and http://www.shamokindivision.com/2013/03/21/2013-chicago-o-scale-show-the-model-contest/

Thanks, Dave Sarther

I am hoping that some of the members on this list can help me find
illustrations and photos of the Hutchins style(s) of box car roofs and
the Murphy style(s) of freight car roofs.
Dave, these are well illustrated in the Car Builders' Cyclopedias of that era. If you don't have access to them, I can scan them for you.

Richard Hendrickson

Dave Sarther

Dave Sieber,

That is a great link to a very helpful resource. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/photos/album/2022650353/pic/list The advertising in those days was pretty neat. The link offers some ads for three major roof styles that interest me, Hutchins Dry Lading, Murphy and Standard Railway's diagonal panel roofs. With the help that Richard H. has offered along with this material I should be able to get involved in a few scratch building projects.

Later, Dave Sarther Tucson, AZ

Don Strack

With Gene Green's permission, I compiled all of the images in the Photos
section into a single PDF file.

http://www.utahrails.net/pdf/Gene_Green_Freight_Car_Roofs_Yahoo.pdf

It's a big file (50MB) so it may take a while to download.

Don Strack

Dave Sarther

Don,

Thanks for taking the initiative to organize this material from previously published material. It should help scratch building modelers as well as rail historians. Thanks also to Gene Green for allowing his previously published material to be reorganized in a more user friendly format.