?: 1937 AAR 40' boxcars

Brad Andonian

I am curious what roads had this version:

40' AAR boxcar
dreadnaught ends
8' Superior Doors
Stanray Panel Roof

THank you!

Brad Andonian

Tony Thompson

Brad Andonian wrote:
I am curious what roads had this version:

40' AAR boxcar
dreadnaught ends
8' Superior Doors
Stanray Panel Roof

__,_._,__
Strictly speaking, none. The Standard Railway Equipment Company did not start calling itself "Stanray" until after the time period of this list. For 1937 AAR box cars, both sharp-corner and W-corner-post ends are possible, but I suspect 8-ft. doors were pretty rare at that time.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

None were built with 8' doors. The widest doors were applied to
some EJ&E box cars -- 7'9". Also some B&LE box cars got 7'3" doors.
Both were US Steel roads.

Tim O'

Brad Andonian wrote:
I am curious what roads had this version:

40' AAR boxcar
dreadnaught ends
8' Superior Doors
Stanray Panel Roof

__,_._,__
Strictly speaking, none. The Standard Railway Equipment Company did not start calling itself "Stanray" until after the time period of this list. For 1937 AAR box cars, both sharp-corner and W-corner-post ends are possible, but I suspect 8-ft. doors were pretty rare at that time.

Tony Thompson

Greg Martin

One thing I noticed in his post he ask about a 40-foot AAR boxcar and
never tell us what the inside height is. If it were the 10'4" or 10'6" car it
would really open up to a lot more prototypes. He says dreadnaught end but
which design.

Brad can you tell us exactly what you have in mind and the answers will not
be so limiting. How about the inside height of the car and era built.
Murphy panel roofs lasted past World War Two.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

Brad Andonian wrote:
I am curious what roads had this version:

40' AAR boxcar
dreadnaught ends
8' Superior Doors
Stanray Panel Roof

__,_._,__
Strictly speaking, none. The Standard Railway Equipment Company did not
start calling itself "Stanray" until after the time period of this list.
For 1937 AAR box cars, both sharp-corner and W-corner-post ends are possible,
but I suspect 8-ft. doors were pretty rare at that time.

Tony Thompson

Brad Andonian

Fellas,

the model in question is O scale PSC 40' AAR box car dreadnaught ends, 8' Superior door and Stanray panel roof.
What I am trying to ascertain is who had this car and at what time period.   I don't have the car so I do not know the IH.  Thank you for all your insights.
Brad Andonian

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181145360842?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

________________________________

Brad Andonian wrote:
I am curious what roads had this version:

40' AAR boxcar
dreadnaught ends
8' Superior Doors
Stanray Panel Roof

__,_._,__
Strictly speaking, none. The Standard Railway Equipment Company did not
start calling itself "Stanray" until after the time period of this list.
For 1937 AAR box cars, both sharp-corner and W-corner-post ends are possible,
but I suspect 8-ft. doors were pretty rare at that time.

Tony Thompson

Benjamin Hom

Brad Andonian asked:
"The model in question is O scale PSC 40' AAR box car dreadnaught
ends, 8' Superior door and Stanray panel roof."

Brad, some constructive criticism - it's easier to answer questions
if you describe things in common lexicon, to wit:

- This is NOT a 1937 AAR boxcar.

- "Dreadnaught ends" is an incorrect description. These are r+3/4
Improved Dreadnaught ends; "r+3/4" indicates a narrow rectangular
corrugation and the number of major corrugations in the top panel
over the number of major corrugations in the bottom panel.

- "Stanray panel roof" is vague; it's better described as rectangular
or diagonal panel.

- For Superior doors, it helps to know the number of panels.

- Finally, a picture is worth a thousand words.

"What I am trying to ascertain is who had this car and at what time
period."

Unfortunately, this car is a bit of a hermaphrodite - a r+3/4 later
Improved Dreadnaught end combined with what appears to be a 10 ft 4
in or 10 ft 6 in car and 8 ft door opening is extremely uncommon.
I'll have to check my sources after work to see if there's anything
close.

Ben Hom

Scott Pitzer

Brad was going (mostly) by the importer's label... a label which left a lot to be desired.
That diagonal panel roof was introduced in 1948, and if I'm seeing the contours of the ends as well as I think I am, it's the R/3/4 of the 1948 to 1954/55 period (bulbous main ribs rather than smoothly tapered.)
Dunno if the combination of features on the model is a good match for any particular cars built in that time.
(But Brad, if you happen to be modeling 1947 or earlier, you don't need this car.)
Scott Pitzer

Brian Carlson

The end seemed to have a very wide gap between the sections too. May have been an optical illusion.
Brian j Carlson.
On May 29, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Scott Pitzer <scottp459@earthlink.net> wrote:

Brad was going (mostly) by the importer's label... a label which left a lot to be desired.
That diagonal panel roof was introduced in 1948, and if I'm seeing the contours of the ends as well as I think I am, it's the R/3/4 of the 1948 to 1954/55 period (bulbous main ribs rather than smoothly tapered.)
Dunno if the combination of features on the model is a good match for any particular cars built in that time.
(But Brad, if you happen to be modeling 1947 or earlier, you don't need this car.)
Scott Pitzer

Larry Kline

Brad and group,

I believe that the Precision Scale model shown in the ebay listing is intended to be a model of a postwar AAR boxcar with a Standard Railway Equipment diagonal panel roof, Standard Railway Equipment R-3-4 ends, and a Superior 7 panel door.

As far as I know, based on an unpublished Ed Hawkins roster, the only prototype for the model is the RDG 107000-107499 series built in 10-1948. See Ed's article in the November 1990 issue of Railmodel Journal, pp 60-63. The article is available online:
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/23/1732/november-1990-page-60
There is a photo of RDG 107449 on page 62:
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/23/1734/november-1990-page-62

The ends on the Precision Scale model are rather inaccurate models of the Standard Railway Equipment R-3-4 end. I uploaded an image with a scan of the Precision Scale O scale end, a photo of a much more accurate Atlas O scale end, and a crop from an ACF builders photo that shows the R-3-4 end on PRR X43a 602000. The file is in a new album called: O scale SRE R-3-4 end models. The file name is: PSC Atlas and prototype R-3-4 IDEs. A straight on photo of a R-3-4 end would be a nice addition to this album. I don't have one.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

Benjamin Hom

Larry Kline wrote:
"The ends on the Precision Scale model are rather inaccurate models of
the Standard Railway Equipment R-3-4 end."

I referred to the ends on the model as r+3/4 ends (lower case) because
of the narrow top rib vice the wider ribs shown on the the other
cars. ("R" is used to denote the rectangular top rib.)

Ben Hom

Brad Andonian

Gentlemen,
Again my thanks to the responses and help from the Group---   bravo and awesome!    I am so glad I found this resource.

Sincerely,
Brad Andonian

________________________________
[...]

Now that we've identified the model as 1948+ postwar 10'6" -- there were quite a few possible
prototypes (if you ignore the particular door applied to the model). RDG as Larry said, and also
KCS, RI, SOU, WAB off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others as well. In HO scale both
Branchline and Red Caboose brought out highly accurate models of such cars.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

Ben

Do you mean narrower side-to-side or up-and-down? Both are possible.

Tim O'

"The ends on the Precision Scale model are rather inaccurate models of
the Standard Railway Equipment R-3-4 end."

I referred to the ends on the model as r+3/4 ends (lower case) because
of the narrow top rib vice the wider ribs shown on the the other
cars. ("R" is used to denote the rectangular top rib.)

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Up and down.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Now that we've identified the model as 1948+ postwar 10'6" -- there were quite
a few possible prototypes (if you ignore the particular door applied to the
model). RDG as Larry said, and also KCS, RI, SOU, WAB off the top of my head.
I'm sure there are others as well."

...except you'll also have to ignore the ends as well, as they are very poorly
rendered and really don't match the prototypes you cite.

Ben Hom