{ SPAM 2 }: Re: Shipping a plane on TOP of a boxcar?

Bruce Smith

I'll add that there seems to be a pretty significant wood platform on the roof of the car. It's hard to tell if the Cub is being brought up from the ground, or lowered to the ground in the photo with it on the ramp. Weird.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

On May 30, 2013, at 5:52 AM, benjaminfrank_hom wrote:

Nick Fry wrote:
"Take a gander here:

We found these photos at the Barriger Library while cataloging our
new B&A collection. No caption on the back.

I thought you all would find them interesting, if someone has this at
RPM East next year I'm buying them a drink.

If anyone has any ideas about what's going on, please let me know."

No way the aircraft was shipped on top of this boxcar as it wouldn't
make clearances. However, aircraft factories before WWII weren't
necessarily set up for efficient manufacturing (Ford's Willow Run
B-24 plant was still years in the future), with assembly facilities
often set up on the second floor of buildings. (Brewster in Long
Island City was a notorious case as their inefficient arrangement
contributed to their difficulties meeting wartime production.) I
have a photo of the wing assembly of the Spirit of St. Louis being
lowered from the second floor of Ryan Aircraft in San Diego in using
a Santa Fe automobile car as an intermediate platform. (Charles
Lindbergh is seen in the photo helping to push the car out of the
way.)

This aircraft is a Piper Cub. Here's a photo of Piper's Lock Haven,
PA facility:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/Piper_1930s_Picture.jpg

I couldn't find anything on the layout of this factory, but the photos
could be documenting an event similar to that of the Ryan photo. I
did find a website of the Piper Aviation Museum in Lock Haven, who
might be able to shed more light on their manufacturing facility
setup.
http://www.pipermuseum.com/

Ben Hom

Steve and Barb Hile

And that the ramp down is from one boxcar while the platform is on another.

Interestingly, they are Bangor and Aroostook boxcars and the plane is
lettered for a commercial guy who flies in the Northeast, including places
in Maine.

The guys doing the unloading (note the way everyone is facing on the down
ramp shot) are pretty well dressed for laborers, but it must be cold.

Regards,

Steve Hile

_____

Nick Fry wrote:
[...]

thmsdmpsy

It could be clean-up from a movie shot.  Tom Dempsey, Spokane, WA

________________________________

Nick Fry wrote:
[...]

Richard Hendrickson

On May 30, 2013, at 6:14 AM, Bruce F. Smith <smithbf@auburn.edu> wrote:

I'll add that there seems to be a pretty significant wood platform on the roof of the car. It's hard to tell if the Cub is being brought up from the ground, or lowered to the ground in the photo with it on the ramp. Weird.

I will suggest another, though perhaps unlikely, explanation for the platform, which is - as Bruce says - substantial, and runs the full length of the box car roof. What may be going on here is the aftermath of a stunt that is still performed from time to time at air shows in which the pilot of a Piper Cub (or similar light aircraft with a very slow stall speed) lands the aircraft on a platform on top of a pickup truck while the truck is moving just slightly faster than the the airplane's stall speed. A rail car moving at ca. 40 mph would have provided an equivalent landing platform back when there were very few paved airport runways on which a truck could operate at such speeds. Today when this stunt is performed the airplane takes off again after landing on the platform, so that doesn't explain why the wings have been removed from the Cub in the photo and it is being rolled off the car roof on what is obviously temporary planking. But it is possible to land a Cub on a small platform atop a moving vehicle, and it is still being done today.

Richard Hendrickson

Al Campbell

If this took place in B&A country, anytime before June or after September.
From other parts of the country northern Maine winters last nine months.
:) Kinda like Northern Minnesota only colder. Al Campbell