NP REFER QUESTIONS

WILLIAM PARDIE

I am doing a two Northern Pacific refers. The first is in the 947 series ( has truss rods)
and the second is in the 902 series. What is the proper color of the trucks on these refers?
Also which are the best (Tahoe Model hopefully) trucks for these cars.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Pardie

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 2, 2013, at 4:44 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

I am doing a two Northern Pacific refers. The first is in the 947 series ( has truss rods)
and the second is in the 902 series. What is the proper color of the trucks on these refers?
Also which are the best (Tahoe Model hopefully) trucks for these cars.
Bill, in the post-WW-II period, some NP wood sheathed reefers had their original trucks replaced by later ARA types. However, the photos I have of these cars show the 94400-94899 series with Bettendorf T-Section trucks and the 90000-90799 series with early Andrews L-section trucks. Tahoe doesn't make either of them, but Kadee offers both. Their Bettendorf T-section truck is #509 and their Andrews truck is #511. Both are available only in the earlier Kadee versions with "working" springs that look nothing like the real thing, but I've improved their appearance by CA-ing small black styrene "view blocks" on the backs of the side frames so you can't see through the spring boxes. NP reefer trucks were black - or after they had been in service for awhile, dirty, grimy dark gray.

Richard Hendrickson