GPEX Pfaudler Steel Milk Car: beer cars

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:
I've never heard of beer being shipped in "bulk" (huge tanks or tank cars). Do you know of any examples?
You're right, Tim. It's true that far in the future (of this list) Coors will ship bulk "concentrate" from Golden to satellite facilities for "completion," but regular beer, whether artificially or naturally carbonated, does NOT seem like a candidate for bulk shipping. Hopefully our list's best candidate as beer geek (in Alabama) will chime in on this.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

Patrick Wade

I'm a new member but I did Google Coors Beer Concentrate and found these
two interesting links, way later than the era we are modeling.

Coors Concentrate Tank Cars<http://www.krunk.org/~joeshaw/pics/pvt-tank/corx/>

Bud Challenges Coors<http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1990-06-01/business/9002140788_1_rocky-mountain-spring-water-coors-busch>

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Tony Thompson <
thompsonmarytony@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

**

Tim O'Connor wrote:
I've never heard of beer being shipped in "bulk" (huge tanks or tank
cars). Do you know of any examples?
You're right, Tim. It's true that far in the future (of this list) Coors
will ship bulk "concentrate" from Golden to satellite facilities for
"completion," but regular beer, whether artificially or naturally
carbonated, does NOT seem like a candidate for bulk shipping. Hopefully our
list's best candidate as beer geek (in Alabama) will chime in on this.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

dahminator68

Not that this has anything to do with our era, but last I heard, Coors was no longer shipping concentrated beer in the tank cars.
They were sitting around east Golden for a long time, but I'm not sure if the tanks are being used for something else or what.
Andrew Dahm
westerfieldmodels.com

________________________________

Tim O'Connor wrote:
I've never heard of beer being shipped in "bulk" (huge tanks or tank
cars). Do you know of any examples?
You're right, Tim. It's true that far in the future (of this list) Coors
will ship bulk "concentrate" from Golden to satellite facilities for
"completion," but regular beer, whether artificially or naturally
carbonated, does NOT seem like a candidate for bulk shipping. Hopefully our
list's best candidate as beer geek (in Alabama) will chime in on this.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

Bruce Smith

Ok, so that's my cue <VBG>. As noted, beer could certainly be shipped in an uncarbonated form, whether concentrated or not. In fact, at the end of the fermentation process, beer is "flat". Fully fermented beer is naturally antiseptic (its true!) and therefore it should be fine if stored in a clean tank. In addition, the milk tank cars were insulated, which would keep the beer from being exposed to damaging temperature fluctuations. Once at the destination, the beer would need to be bottled or kegged and carbonated. There are 2 ways to do the latter, the first of which is bottle or cask priming where you add sugar (usually malt sugar). This only works if you leave some yeast in the beer and don't filter or pasteurize the beer...which is the way good beers are made! Or you can artificially add CO2 (which is the way Budwiser and Coors are made). You can tell a naturally primed beer by the yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle, a thing that gets the appellation "real Ale" in the UK. Thus, I think it is certainly possible that the milk tank cars could have been used to transport beer.

An alternative use of a milk tank car in the brewing industry might be to transport yeast slurries or malt syrup although the latter behaves a lot like molasses and might need heater pipes to make it flow.

Regards
Bruce
Bruce F. Smith
Professor, Auburn University Brewing Science Program (Yes, we recently created an OFFICIAL Brewing Science Program at Auburn, and I really am, in addition to my major assignment as faculty of the College of Veterinary Medicine, faculty in Brewing Science. I love my job!)

Bruce Smith wrote:
Professor, Auburn University Brewing Science Program (Yes, we recently created an OFFICIAL Brewing Science Program at Auburn, and I really am, in addition to my major assignment as faculty of the College of Veterinary Medicine, faculty in Brewing Science. I love my job!)
Glad I didn't know about this when it was ME in academe, thinking I had a fun job. <g>

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

geodyssey <riverob@...>

The page at http://www.krunk.org/~joeshaw/pics/pvt-tank/corx/ states that wort is "beer concentrate". That is incorrect. Wort is just the liquid resulting from steeping grain (malt) in hot water... the first step in the simple process of making beer. Water could be removed from the wort and a concentrated wort shipped, but that's not beer, wort having zero alcohol content as yeast has not been added.

I've been a home brewer for 15 years and a member of a home-brew club. The term "beer concentrate" is misleading, leading people to think of it as something like soft drink syrup or molasses. Some big commercial brewers brew a high gravity (high alcohol) beer that is shipped uncarbonated then finished by adding water, additional flavoring, and CO2 for carbonation at the destination. (Yeech. Most homebrew & microbrews are carbonated/conditioned by adding additional glucose after the beer has been bottles or keged. The yeast digests the glucose producing CO2). The beer that is shipped in bulk is more like a "strong beer". In normal lager brewing, the alcohol level can only reach approx. 8-12%. The lager you buy is typically 3-4%. If beer has been reconstituted from a true concentrate where water is removed, it needs to be labeled as such by law. I've never seen such a beer being sold, but it evidently it exists somewhere.

From a 1992 Coors lawsuit against Anheuser-Busch:

"...Federal law clearly defines "beer concentrate" as beer from which water has been removed and requires brewers who use concentrate to label their products as such. "This is a process which Coors refuses to use in Coors Light, or any of its products," Klugman explained..."

Coors is MillerCoors since 2008.

Robert Simpson

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Wade <patwadesb@...> wrote:

I'm a new member but I did Google Coors Beer Concentrate and found these
two interesting links, way later than the era we are modeling.

Coors Concentrate Tank Cars<http://www.krunk.org/~joeshaw/pics/pvt-tank/corx/>

Bud Challenges Coors<http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1990-06-01/business/9002140788_1_rocky-mountain-spring-water-coors-busch>

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Tony Thompson <
thompsonmarytony@...> wrote:

**