From: Tim O'Connor <@timboconnor>
Date: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:32 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] bizarre MP flat car

there were 16 of these cars on the roster in 1959.. Where on
earth did those leaf spring Andrews trucks come from? Perhaps
from a steam loco tender.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400483491282

Tim O'Connor

spsalso

Now THAT would be fun to see in resin!

Ed

Edward Sutorik

John Degnan

I can't speak to the origin of the flat car... but... believe it or not, those trucks are available in HO scale! But you gotta buy a Bachmann Caboose to get them as I cannot find them listed separately on the Bachmann site.

(See attachment)

The only difference I see in them is that the model has two leafs and the prototype has three. But if you wanted to build one of these flats, you're good to go with the trucks, at least.

John Degnan
@Scaler164
Scaler187@...

there were 16 of these cars on the roster in 1959.. Where on
earth did those leaf spring Andrews trucks come from? Perhaps
from a steam loco tender.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400483491282

John Degnan

OOPS! I forgot that attachments are not allowed here. Ok, try this - click the link below :

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-16806

John Degnan
@Scaler164
Scaler187@...

there were 16 of these cars on the roster in 1959.. Where on
earth did those leaf spring Andrews trucks come from? Perhaps
from a steam loco tender.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400483491282

Tim O'Connor

Benjamin Hom

John Degnan wrote:
[ Reference http://www.ebay.com/itm/400483491282 ]

"I can't speak to the origin of the flat car... but... believe it or
not, those trucks are available in HO scale! But you gotta buy a
Bachmann Caboose to get them as I cannot find them listed separately on
the Bachmann site."
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-16806

I respectfully disagree. The trucks may have leaf springs, but the
sideframe profie, particularly the top chord, is a poor match to the
prototype trucks. A better match is this truck:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-1004

It's out of stock at Walthers, but if you can find a pair on the
secondary market and add Precision Scale leaf springs, you'd have a
much closer match to the prototype.

Ben Hom

John Degnan

Good eye. I hadn't noticed the top contour until you mentioned it... but it's a much less noticable difference than the coil springs are in the trucks you referenced as opposed to the leaf springs in the Bachmann trucks I referenced. So unless you know of a way to replace the coils with leafs... or if there is such a detail part available somewhere... I think I'll have to stick with the Bachmann truck... something, I have to admit, I never thought I'd hear myself say.

John Degnan
@Scaler164
Scaler187@...

"I can't speak to the origin of the flat car... but... believe it or
not, those trucks are available in HO scale! But you gotta buy a
Bachmann Caboose to get them as I cannot find them listed separately on
the Bachmann site."
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-16806

I respectfully disagree. The trucks may have leaf springs, but the
sideframe profie, particularly the top chord, is a poor match to the
prototype trucks. A better match is this truck:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-1004

granpa92@...

The Bachmann 2-8-0 tender truck appears to be a close match.

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bachman-HO-Baldwin-2-8-0-Consolidation-Item-No-1
1417-/271217486119?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3f25d26927>

Look at the picture of the tender, it was the best picture of the
tender trucks I could find.

They are available as separate parts from Bachmann.

<http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=
66_68_86&products_id=194>

Enjoy,

Larry Platt

Good eye. I hadn't noticed the top contour until you mentioned it...
but it's a much less noticable difference than the coil springs are in
the trucks you referenced as opposed to the leaf springs in the
Bachmann trucks I referenced. So unless you know of a way to replace
the coils with leafs... or if there is such a detail part available
somewhere... I think I'll have to stick with the Bachmann truck...
something, I have to admit, I never thought I'd hear myself say.

Benjamin Hom

John Degnan wrote:
"Good eye. I hadn't noticed the top contour until you mentioned it... but it's a much less noticeable difference than the coil springs are in the trucks you referenced as opposed to the leaf springs in the Bachmann trucks I referenced. So unless you know of a way to replace the coils with leafs... or if there is such a detail part available somewhere... I think I'll have to stick with the Bachmann truck... something, I have to admit, I never thought I'd hear myself say."

Your eye must not be very good reading list posts either. :)
I wrote:
"It's out of stock at Walthers, but if you can find a pair on the
secondary market and add PRECISION SCALE leaf springs, you'd have a
much closer match to the prototype."

One option is Precision Scale #31968, intended for use as Rio Grande NG caboose truck springs.

Ben Hom

granpa92@...

I hate it when links don't come through in emails. You will have to
copy and paste the links in my response to get to the web pages. Sorry
about that!

Larry Platt

The Bachmann 2-8-0 tender truck appears to be a close match.

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bachman-HO-Baldwin-2-8-0-Consolidation-Item-No-1

1417-/271217486119?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3f25d26927>

Look at the picture of the tender, it was the best picture of the
tender trucks I could find.

They are available as separate parts from Bachmann.

<http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=

66_68_86&products_id=194>

Douglas Harding

Possible sources of trucks in HO

A W Enterprises Tender Truck Sideframe - Andrews Type, Walthers #157-55

Cal Scale Tender Truck Andrews Type, Walthers #190-310

Precision Scale Andrews Leaf Sprung Trucks, Walthers #585-31651

Of course you could just purchase a tender from Bachmann with Andrew's
trucks, and use the tender frame as the basis of your kitbash.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Tony Thompson

Doug Harding wrote:
Of course you could just purchase a tender from Bachmann with Andrew's trucks, and use the tender frame as the basis of your kitbash.
Thus also capturing the spirit of the original cars! But incidentally, the truck design is named for a man named Andrews. No apostrophe.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

John Degnan

Odd... that part of your message didn't come through on the copy I got of your reply. There was some garbled text, though... much have been where it was supposed to be.

Thanks for the reminder about the PS leaf springs... someone mentioned them a while back, but I had no idea that they were comapatable with any brand of truck.

Glasses donned...

John Degnan
@Scaler164
Scaler187@...

I wrote:
"It's out of stock at Walthers, but if you can find a pair on the
secondary market and add PRECISION SCALE leaf springs, you'd have a
much closer match to the prototype."

John Degnan

The Cal Scale trucks look closest to me... with and withouy my glasses. :)

John Degnan
@Scaler164
Scaler187@...

A W Enterprises Tender Truck Sideframe - Andrews Type, Walthers #157-55

Cal Scale Tender Truck Andrews Type, Walthers #190-310

Precision Scale Andrews Leaf Sprung Trucks, Walthers #585-31651

Charles Happel

The better match may be out of stock, but at least it's on sale.

Chuck Happel

"The most persistent threat to freedom, to the rights of Americans, is fear."

- George Meany (1894-1980)