Topics

Frustrations with Sunshine's Kit #104-2 NJI&I 3000 series #104-2

Bill Welch

I have done my share of dealing with mismatched parts but I think
this kit takes the cake. Further the prototype had a radial roof but
the modeler gets a pair of ends intended for a peaked roof and is
instructed to use filler to achieve the proper fit and contour. Say
what!

Instead of following this foolish path I AAC'ed some plastic strip to
the top of each end, used the roof to trace a curve on the back side
of the part and filed and sanded until I got the curve the match the
roof on each end part, then used strip of .005 styrene and scavenged
rivets to get the proper details at the top of the end which is
essentially the end of the roof. Actually this was pretty easy. I was
very surprised to have to do this on a kit that cost $42.

Worse is the the two sides do not match lengthwise nor does either
side match the length of the roof. Curiously the height of each side
is not a problem.

Side A = 5.44 inches
Side B = 4.46 inches along the bottom and 4.47 inches along the top
Roof = 5.52 inches

I am willing to live with a roof that when shortened may be off
proportionally to the roof ribs but the sides will suffer from being
shimmed or shortened IMO

I am hoping that there may people on this list that have this kit--
which in all likelihood suffers the same problems as mine--that might
be interested exchanging parts so that we all have two sides close in
equal length to each other. There may be more than two of us that can
help each other to assemble a kit that will be square and
proportionally/dimensionally not too compromised. If you have this
kit, but have not noticed these problems, I suggest you check it.

If your kit has these problems and you want to participate in a
potential swap of parts, please contact me OFF-LIST and I will
coordinate with respondents. First however please CAREFULLY MEASURE
your side and roof parts and include their measurements in your email.

For those that want to give this parts exchange a try, I will make a
photo of the way I dealt with the ends and send it to you.

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727-470-9930
fgexbill@...

Monk Alan

Bill,

It possible that the kit was incorrectly packed and/or contains incorrect parts. Certainly the disparity in side lengths would indicate that.

I had one about 2 years back (MoPac 36' rebuilt boxcar), which contained sides that were clearly 40' long and somewhat lacking in height compared to the ends!

Luckily, I'd only started cleaning flash off when I noticed, so re-packed and returned the whole kit for a replacement (which was correct in every regard)

Hence I now always visually check the contents for completeness and size when the kit first arrives.

So it might be worth contacting Sunshine to arrange a swap, depending on how far into construction you've got?

HTH,
Alan Monk
Reading, UK

The contents of this e-mail and any attached files are confidential. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately at postmaster@... and remove it from your system. If received in error, please do not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy this email or its content. Transport for London excludes any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy of the contents of this email and any attached files.

Transport for London is a statutory corporation whose principal office is at Windsor House, 42-50 Victoria Street, London, SW1H 0TL. Further information about Transport for London’s subsidiary companies can be found on the following link: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/about-tfl/4510.aspx

Although TfL have scanned this email (including attachments) for viruses, recipients are advised to carry out their own virus check before opening any attachments, as TfL accepts no liability for any loss, or damage which may be caused by viruses.

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

Bill's description of the issues he's having mirror exactly the issues I had when I first saw that kit.
It's not a packing issue.
Pierre OLiver

--- In STMFC@..., Monk Alan <Alan.Monk@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce Smith

Just to clarify... I think Bill had a typo... the two sides are not 1" different in length, are they?

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

--- In STMFC@...<mailto:STMFC@...>, Monk Alan <Alan.Monk@...> wrote:

[...]

Transport for London is a statutory corporation whose principal office is at Windsor House, 42-50 Victoria Street, London, SW1H 0TL. Further information about Transport for Londonâ?Ts subsidiary companies can be found on the following link: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/about-tfl/4510.aspx

Although TfL have scanned this email (including attachments) for viruses, recipients are advised to carry out their own virus check before opening any attachments, as TfL accepts no liability for any loss, or damage which may be caused by viruses.

Bill Welch

Yes Bruce is correct, I committed a typo with the "4." instead of a "5."

I want to emphasize that this is the only kit I ever encountered form Sunshine with this size problem. The situation with the ends is bizarre and totally out of character with the line in my experience of building well over 200 Sunshine kits.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "Bruce F. Smith" <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

Thomas Olsen <tmolsen@...>

Bill,

I would think that your kit had a side that possibly was a reject from
the casting process and was inadvertently packed when the kit was made
up. I have this kit and immediately went and pulled it out and
measured the sides. The sides in the kit I have are exactly the same
length, although the ends are the same as yours, both are for a peaked
end and will have to the tops be modified.

Best regards,

Tom Olsen
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479