Borden " Butter Dish" Chemical Tank cars White Only?

erict1361 <erict1361@...>

Would Anyone know if any of the "Butter Dish" Milk Tank cars that Borden transferred from Milk hauling to Elmer's Glue hauling, "Chemical Division", were painted in any other color other than White, Tank and Frame? Were any in natural Aluminium (Tank) and Black Frame, or White with a Black frame? This would be circa 1948-1949, Not the Blue Chemical Division cars of the late 1950's and 1960's. I am building two more F&C Borden Chemical cars and would like to show a variation in their appearance if I can get evidence of it.

Thanks,

Eric Thur

Malcolm H. Houck

Would Anyone know if any of the "Butter Dish" Milk Tank cars that Borden
transferred from Milk hauling to Elmer's Glue hauling, "Chemical
Division"Would Anyone know if any of the "Butter Dish" Milk Tank cars that Bord

To my knowledge, they were at one time painted with a orange tank body on a
black frame.

Mal Houck

erict1361 <erict1361@...>

Mal Houck Wrote:

To my knowledge, they were at one time painted with a orange tank body on a black frame.

Mal,

Thanks for the Response, but the Orange or Red cars with Yellow lettering were for Milk Service.

All,
I did more research and did find a PSC Brass model on line painted Silver with a Black Frame in Chemical Division lettering. My concern is that this model has No End fins. As far as I know only the Top Fin part was removed from most all of the cars for the WW II war effort. I was only able to find Two Chemical Division Photos On Line. One in All White and One All Blue. So I am Not sure if this Silver car is correct or not? I found another interesting find, Some early car photos show valve piping and valves on both ends of the car, later photos so it only on the "B" end ? I assume these valves controled the release of the products from the tanks, not pressure since milk should not have expansion pressure. I do know that the First series cars had the Brake Wheel housing separate from the Tank and later builds had it mounted on the tank. Looks like Ureco, Ajax and Miner brakes were used.

Eric Thur

To my knowledge, they were at one time painted with a orange tank body on a
black frame.

Mal Houck

James Fellows

You may want to try posting to the two milk train groups on yahoo. Neither
are very active, but once something is posted the reposes are generally
pretty quick.

Jim Fellows

Mal Houck Wrote:

"To my knowledge, they were at one time painted with a orange tank body on
a black frame.

Mal,

Thanks for the Response, but the Orange or Red cars with Yellow lettering
were for Milk Service. "

Orange Car body
Black frame
Lettered: "The Borden Company
Chemical Division" (left of access door)

Reporting Marks - "BCDX 1006"

"Tare 81820"

Mal Houck

ed_mines

A hobby shop in New England offered decals for the different colors of these cars. If I'm not mistaken they said there were also white and/or silver (aluminium) versions of these cars in addition to orange.

Ed Mines

--- In STMFC@..., Indian640@... wrote:

Would Anyone know if any of the "Butter Dish" Milk Tank cars that Borden
transferred from Milk hauling to Elmer's Glue hauling, "Chemical
Division"Would Anyone know if any of the "Butter Dish" Milk Tank cars that Bord

To my knowledge, they were at one time painted with a orange tank body on a
black frame.

Mal Houck

Charles Hladik

Ed,
That may have been the Steam Shack in Rutland, Vermont and probably
made by New England Rail Service. Don Valentine should know and Mal Houck is
probably correct.
Chuck Hladik
Rutland Railroad
Virginia Division