Industry Magazines of the 1950s?

Brian <cornbeltroute@...>

My paternal Granddad was a conductor on the northeast Iowa electric road WCF&N for nearly four decades. As a small fry, as I recall anyway, at his home I flipped through many railroad industry magazines, mags that were large format, similar in size to Look and Life magazines of the era.

I do not recall the names of any of these publications but am hoping someone here might recall titles. I wonder if one of them wasn't an AAR publication. . . .

Thanks much,

Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa

Tony Thompson

Brian Chapman wrote:
My paternal Granddad was a conductor on the northeast Iowa electric road WCF&N for nearly four decades. As a small fry, as I recall anyway, at his home I flipped through many railroad industry magazines, mags that were large format, similar in size to Look and Life magazines of the era.

I do not recall the names of any of these publications but am hoping someone here might recall titles. I wonder if one of them wasn't an AAR publication. . . .
Only large-format mag I can recall is Modern Railroads.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

Aley, Jeff A

Does Railway Age count as large-format? Mine are packed away, so I can't check the size.

Regards,

-Jeff

My paternal Granddad was a conductor on the northeast Iowa electric road WCF&N for nearly four decades. As a small fry, as I recall anyway, at his home I flipped through many railroad industry magazines, mags that were large format, similar in size to Look and Life magazines of the era.

I do not recall the names of any of these publications but am hoping someone here might recall titles. I wonder if one of them wasn't an AAR publication. . . .
Only large-format mag I can recall is Modern Railroads.

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com<http://www.signaturepress.com>
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com<mailto:tony%40signaturepress.com>
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Nope. RAGE is standard 8.5 x 11.

Modern Railroads was definitely larger -- think LIFE magazine size.

Does Railway Age count as large-format? Mine are packed away, so I can't check the size.
Regards,
-Jeff

Brian <cornbeltroute@...>

I wonder, then, if Railway Age and Modern Railroads were the primary industry magazines of the 1950s. There is a university library just a few miles away, I should go snoop through the stacks.

I think the large format magazine(s) hooked me on railroading. Photos with romantic vistas, rails curving out of site behind lush scenery, and such. I'm hit with a bit of nostalgia, I guess.

Thanks,

Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

1891 - Ry Review - 11 x 13 3/4
1893 - Ry Age & NW RRer - 10 3/4 x 14 3/4
1906 - Ry Master Mech - 9 x 12
1917 - Ry Age Gazette - 9 1/4 x 12
1920 - Ry Mech Engr - 9 x 11 3/4
1926 - Ry Review - 9 x 12
1943 - Ry Age - 8 1/4 x 11 1/4
1945 - Ry Mech Engr - 8 x 11
1951 - Ry Age - 9 x 12
1957 - Ry Loco & Cars - 9 x 12

Yes, I am aware the subject line says "1950s."
Gene Green

Nolan Hinshaw

On Jul 13, 2013, at 8:25 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Nope. RAGE is standard 8.5 x 11.
Railway Gazette seems to have been folio-sized.
--
"Not only is it not right, it's not even wrong!"
From Wolfgang Pauli, perpetrator of the Pauli Exclusion Principle

Don <riverman_vt@...>

Nope. RAGE is standard 8.5 x 11.

Modern Railroads was definitely larger -- think LIFE magazine size.

Agreed, or it was very close to LIFE magazine in size.

Don Valentine