modeling open ice hatches

Tony Thompson

I have posted a discussion of ways to model open ice hatches on refrigerator cars, for example for ventilation service, to my blog, and showed photos of several models prepared in different ways. If you're interested, it is at this link:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013/07/modeling-open-ice-hatches-on.html

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

John

Tony:

When I do that, I use a brush on purpose to leave faint brush strokes on the plugs (using Floquil Concrete color paint). Reason being, the plugs were covered in canvas, and the brush strokes simulate that texture. I've been doing what you describe for 20 years and never thought to write it up (Doh! on my part). Good job.

-- John

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

I have posted a discussion of ways to model open ice hatches on refrigerator cars, for example for ventilation service, to my blog, and showed photos of several models prepared in different ways. If you're interested, it is at this link:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013/07/modeling-open-ice-hatches-on.html

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony – Virtually all the Westerfield reefer kits allow the plugs, whether attached to the hatch or separate, to be modeled. False hatch interiors are also supplied. – Al Westerfield

I have posted a discussion of ways to model open ice hatches on refrigerator cars, for example for ventilation service, to my blog, and showed photos of several models prepared in different ways. If you're interested, it is at this link:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013/07/modeling-open-ice-hatches-on.html

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, mailto:tony%40signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony Thompson

Tony Virtually all the Westerfield reefer kits allow the plugs, whether attached to the hatch or separate, to be modeled. False hatch interiors are also supplied.
I know, and I should have mentioned that. But it probably slipped my mind because I didn't model any of my Westerfield reefers that way.