Posted by: "roblmclear" rob.mclear3@...<mailto:rob.mclear3@...> roblmclear

Date: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:32 am ((PDT))

Hello again

Need some more help if you can give it I am in the process of painting a New York Central wooden express reefer. Crikey I hope this is appropriate for this list, I hear it is very cold in moderator jail here....

The car is an undecorated brass model so consequently has not come with any decals. I am unsure of the lettering style and colour that was used in my period (1947) I am trying to get some custom decals made to fit the car but need to know firstly the colour, then they style and then the height of the various parts of the lettering.

For instance I have seen these cars with the letters NYC above both the numbers on both ends of the sides low down and I have seen pictures of them with just the numbers. I know that New York Central was spelled out on the sides but again don't know the size and style and colour. I know that it should be either Gold or Yellow but can't seem to identify it.

I don't know the class of the car but is wooden sides, no belt rail, round roof, with recessed ladder places on the sides and deep side sills in the middle tapering towards each end.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Rob McLear

Kingaroy Australia

Tim O'Connor

Mark

Dulux, not Deluxe. Dulux was a trademark name of Dupont.

Tim O'

The cars were essentially a Pullman Green color and by the late 40's the cars the lettering would have been 'Deluxe Gold', which is a yellow color, not gold as in 'gold leaf'. Champ used to make decals that would work pretty good for this car. I don't have the number for the decal set in front of me, but if no one else chimes in I can supply it when I get home.
Mark Rossiter

Tony Thompson

Rossiter, Mark W wrote:
The cars were essentially a Pullman Green color and by the late 40's the cars the lettering would have been 'Deluxe Gold', which is a yellow color, not gold as in 'gold leaf'.
Common misconception, that "Dulux Gold" (correct spelling) is the name of a shade of gold color. It's just a DuPont paint line. There was Dulux Black, Dulux Socony Red, etc. etc. Yes, Dulux Gold is a specific shade of gold color, but no, it doesn't describe anything other than a particular DuPont paint.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Bruce Smith

And technically, "Dulux Gold" is NOT yellow, but imitation gold. Most versions of this are too yellow.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

_____________

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Bruce F. Smith" <smithbf@...> wrote:

And technically, "Dulux Gold" is NOT yellow, but imitation gold. Most versions of this are too yellow.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL
And not the same color imitation gold, either. Here is a small sample of DuPont numbers extracted from EMD styling drawings by the late Sam McCall, a custom painter.

B&M Gold Duco 254-54015
L&N Gold Dupont Co. 254-35623 lacquer
RDG Gold Duco 254-54388
GN Gold, Imitation Dulux 83-50931
RDG Gold, Imitation Duco 254-54388
SOO Gold, Imitation Duco 254-54292
VGN Gold, Imitation Thresher Varnish 9265
WABASH Gold, Imitation Duco 254-5429

At the time (early fifties)Duco was Dupont's nitrocellulose lacquer, Dulux was an alkyd synthetic resin enamel. Read more about them here:

http://www.hosam.com/paint/dup.html

Dennis

Tim O'Connor

Dulux colors came in many shades -- Accupaint produced both
"Imitation Gold" and "Light Imitation Gold" -- these captured
two different Dulux colors. I don't know if all railroads used
exactly the same shade that we like to call "Dulux Gold". Just
sayin'.

Tim O'Connor