True Line trains slab side CN covered hopper

Bill McCoy

Any comments or thoughts on the True line CN slab side covered hopper? Did they ever come to the US?

Bill McCoy
Jax, FL

thetrainman00@...

I don't know about True Line slab side covered hoppers but I have several
from F&C. These look great.

Happy Model Railroading,
Jim Krapf

Armand Premo

Yes they did.Very nice too.Armand Premo

Any comments or thoughts on the True line CN slab side covered hopper? Did they ever come to the US?

Bill McCoy
Jax, FL

Norman+Laraine Larkin

Its a nice (but expensive) model. I saw them frequently (both CP and CN) on westbound trains on the B&M main line at East Deerfield, MA in the 70s. Not sure what they were hauling or to whom.
Norm Larkin

Any comments or thoughts on the True line CN slab side covered hopper? Did they ever come to the US?

Bill McCoy
Jax, FL

Armand Premo

Not really that expensive.The alternative resin model needs trucks, couplers,and paint plus the time spent building it.The TLC is superb and ready to place on the layout.I have two now and should buy more.Armand Premo

> Any comments or thoughts on the True line CN slab side covered hopper? Did
> they ever come to the US?
>
> Bill McCoy
> Jax, FL

Robert Allan

I like them. Got 2 in old CN style (block lettering.) M.B.Klein shows them available.

midrly

I've bought ten or so, mostly at $30-35 CDN. A very nice model, the only quibble that one might have is that the grabirons are moulded on. You can knock these off and replace them with wire if you want--I personally don't have a big issue with this on this car. The runningboard and handbrake platform is etched. My take on these models--nice work well worth the price.

Did they ever come to the US? Nepheline syenite for glass-making was shipped to the US from Lakefield, Ontario in CN cars until 1955 or so, then CPR cars after this, when the CPR built a twenty-mile branch (the Nephton Subdivision) closer to the mine.

True Line also offers the CPR steel 40' "Minibox", Canadian overhead bunker steel ice reefers, 36' steel-frame "Fowler" boxcars, and Canadian 40', 10' i.h. steel boxcars. All are nice models of cars that ran into the US.

Steve Lucas.

From: midrly <lucas@...>
Date: Monday, July 29, 2013 11:56 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: True Line trains slab side CN covered hopper

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> ,

cwilson@...

--- In STMFC@..., "Bill" <wpmccoy@...> wrote:

Any comments or thoughts on the True line CN slab side covered hopper? Did they ever come to the US?

Bill McCoy
Jax, FL
Potash was a common commodity for these cars right through the 60's and into the early 1970's. I have data from the Ann Arbor RR carferry manifests showing them loaded in Saskatchewan and routed CN-DWP-SOO-AA or CP-SOO-AA. From there they went to lots of co-op and crop service places in Michigan and throughout the midwest. The slab-sides weren't the only covered hoppers in this service. The CN and CP "tank hoppers" were common too.

Craig Wilson

thetrainman00@...

Hi,

Tank hoppers is a new one on me. Can anyone share a photo of one. Thanks
in advance.

Happy Model Railroading,
Jim Krapf

Armand Premo

Barrett (Tarvia) a division of Allied Chemical had hopper bottom tank cars for shipping roofing material.Looked pretty much like an ordinary tank car,but with hoppers.They may have been converted tank cars.Armand Premo

> Any comments or thoughts on the True line CN slab side covered hopper? Did they ever come to the US?
>
> Bill McCoy
> Jax, FL

Potash was a common commodity for these cars right through the 60's and into the early 1970's. I have data from the Ann Arbor RR carferry manifests showing them loaded in Saskatchewan and routed CN-DWP-SOO-AA or CP-SOO-AA. From there they went to lots of co-op and crop service places in Michigan and throughout the midwest. The slab-sides weren't the only covered hoppers in this service. The CN and CP "tank hoppers" were common too.

Craig Wilson

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 29, 2013, at 6:01 PM, Armand Premo <armprem2@...> wrote:
Barrett (Tarvia) a division of Allied Chemical had hopper bottom tank cars for shipping roofing material.Looked pretty much like an ordinary tank car,but with hoppers.They may have been converted tank cars.
The Barrett cars were converted from GATC tank cars built in the 1920s. But they have noting to do with the Canadian covered hoppers that are under discussion here.

Richard Hendrickson

cwilson@...

Since you asked here is a link: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cp/cp387167ajs.jpg

But this is straying outside the guidelines as the tank hoppers were built after 1960.

CW

--- In STMFC@..., thetrainman00@... wrote:

Hi,

Tank hoppers is a new one on me. Can anyone share a photo of one. Thanks
in advance.

Happy Model Railroading,
Jim Krapf

Armand Premo

I am well aware that they have noting (sic) to do with the Canadian covered hoppers.My response was to a post who had never heard of "tank hoppers".Armand Premo

> Barrett (Tarvia) a division of Allied Chemical had hopper bottom tank cars for shipping roofing material.Looked pretty much like an ordinary tank car,but with hoppers.They may have been converted tank cars.

The Barrett cars were converted from GATC tank cars built in the 1920s. But they have noting to do with the Canadian covered hoppers that are under discussion here.

Richard Hendrickson

midrly

These cars were a predecessor of the Canadian cylindrical covered hoppers still on the rails today, a large number being built and paid for by the Canadian government when CN and CP refused to invest in new cars to haul grain in the 1970's. The "Crow rate" of 1/2 cent CDN per ton mile for much Canadian grain traffic discouraged investment in new rolling stock for this traffic from the 1950's on.

Which brings us back to STMFC's, because I hear those Moderator Jail cell doors creaking...

Steve Lucas.