From: "Scaler164@comcast.net" <Scaler164@comcast.net>
To: "Group, POST :" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>; "Group, POST :" <RPM-forum@yahoogroups.com>; "Group, POST :" <SOUTHERNmodeler@yahoogroups.com>; "Group, POST :" <CofGmodeler@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:47 AM
Subject: [CofGmodeler] HO Reading/NE Caboose Model?

Anyone know if anyone besides Bachmann make a HO model of the style of Reading/NE Steel Caboose seen below? :

     http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-16806

John Degnan
Scaler164@comcast.net
Scaler187@comcast.net

Benjamin Hom

John Degnan asked:
"Anyone know if anyone besides Bachmann make a HO model of the style of Reading/NE Steel Caboose seen below?
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-16806

Todd Horton replied:
"Life Like / Walthers Proto200 makes a nice model
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/920-54829

Several models have been produced in HO scale of the Northeastern steel caboose over the years.  Before the P2K model, Life-Like cranked out tens of thousands trainset-quality models:
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/lifelikefreightcars/id33.html

Lindberg also offered a model, later marketed by Mantua in their "Heavies" line and still available from Model Power ("Mantua Classics"):
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/tonycook1966/Lindberg/02_Lindberg.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/tonycook1966/Lindberg/03_Lindberg.jpg
http://www.modelpower.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=76

Eastern Car Works had a decent kit for this car, including different ends to model variations.  Some modelers had complaints about the roof curvature, so YMMV.

Ben Hom

rwitt_2000

, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

John Degnan asked:
"Anyone know if anyone besides Bachmann make a HO model of the style of Reading/NE Steel Caboose seen below?
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-16806

Todd Horton replied:
"Life Like / Walthers Proto200 makes a nice model
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/920-54829
Ben Hom replied:
Several models have been produced in HO scale of the Northeastern steel caboose over the years.  Before the P2K model, Life-Like cranked out tens of thousands trainset-quality models:
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/lifelikefreightcars/id33.html

Lindberg also offered a model, later marketed by Mantua in their "Heavies" line and still available from Model Power ("Mantua Classics"):
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/tonycook1966/Lindberg/02_Lindberg.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/tonycook1966/Lindberg/03_Lindberg.jpg
http://www.modelpower.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=76

Eastern Car Works had a decent kit for this car, including different ends to model variations.  Some modelers had complaints about the roof curvature, so YMMV.
 __________________________________

Also there was the MDC/Roundhouse version:

http://www.trainweb.org/tompm/roster/cabooses/WM/wmcaboose1828.html

Bob Witt

Charles Tapper

The old Life-Like caboose (ex-Varney?) has a non-Duryea underframe, and Pullman-style steps, and is based on a Reading design IIRC that had that underframe. Plus wood running boards and no windows.  The Pullman steps are incorrect for Reading and are a later addition to the dies(?): I have an old American Flyer HO caboose probably produced by Varney with side steps and a cast metal underframe intended to take a bulb.

Some Reading cabooses had Duryea underframes and some did not, IIRC.

The P2K car has a Duryea underframe and no end windows, plus a tread running board. Floor boards are oriented parallel to sides, another difference with old LL.

Gloor produced etched brass, cast metal, and wood kits. I believe the end may have a single window, I'll have to look. And  a "simplified" underframe.

Do not use the ex-Mantua car, it is oversized by quite a bit and its proportions are just wrong. The Athearn/former MDC car is not really accurate either.

My interest is in the WM and P&WV versions, so I haven't looked at Reading classes lately, and I can't remember what their ends are like (2 square windows like some Lehigh Valley NEs?).

I don't have time to check my resources, I'm on lunch break and need to get back to well logs, but there are data out there on the various Reading classes. A friend of mine made a splendid Reading caboose out of the old Life-Like caboose many years ago, so you have several options going forward but may need to add end windows and Taylor trucks.

Charlie Tapper
Not really Reading-proficient.

________________________________
[...]

It looks like Reading cabooses have no end windows. And a combination of Taylor, Birdsboro, and Andrews trucks to start with. There is a list somewhere that breaks down underframes.  This was a quick find on basic class data.

http://www.readingrailroad.org/roster/roster_cabooses_ne.shtml

Charlie Tapper
Now, back to well logs...

________________________________

[...]

wm501jra

The Proto 2000 caboose came in two versions, with and without end windows, those with had square windows. WM cabs were built without end windows, they were added starting in 1950. The Proto cabs also had two different trucks, the first runs had 50 ton Birdsboro (Andrews style) trucks, later runs including those done by Walthers look more like a 50 ton double truss with leaf springs. The early runs also had interior lights which were not that successful a design and the wheels were poor. These are often seen at Train Shows and on line auction sites.

I also did not see the Quality Craft Brass NE caboose kit mentioned. The MDC/Athearn car is really not accurate for a "NE" style caboose.

Jeff Adams
WMRHS

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Charles Tapper <charlestapper@...> wrote:

[...]

Scaler164@...

Good info, Charlie .  Thanks.

The models I need should  not have end windows, so the P2K model is good for that area, at least.  Not sure about the running boards and floor boards.. .

I have already secured two different sets of Taylor trucks  needed for modeling S&A cab # 256... one from Eastern Car Works and the other from "Kitbits" (which I just got in the mail yesterday from Bob Brannen of Riverdale Station) .  The ECW trucks appear nicer than the Kitbits trucks, so I'll probably use them.   However, S&A cab # 255 did not have Taylor trucks... and I've decided to use the trucks from Spring Mills Depot for it.

As an Interesting anomaly ... I have photos of 255 with matching trucks (both trucks having TWO leaf springs) and two later photos showing it with one truck having THREE leaf springs.  (see attached photo (unless the group  strips it from the message))

John Degnan
Scaler164@comcast.net
Scaler187@comcast.net