From: Lancaster James <ljames1@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:24 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Atlas 1932 ARA Boxcar - Again

Atlas says these are new paint schemes.
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar4.htm

Are any of the cars prototypically accurate?

Jim Lancaster

Benjamin Hom

Jim Lancaster asked:
"Atlas says these are new paint schemes.
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar4.htm

Are any of the cars prototypically accurate?"

Always hard to tell from only artwork, but if they match the paint schemes to the correct bodies (which
they ARE offering), all of these should be good.  Details are in the following table compiled by Ed
Hawkins:
http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/1932arapdfmain.html

Atlas did an excellent job on their 1932 ARA boxcars, going through the trouble to do tooling for
different variations and offering them in correct paint schemes.  How they did such a good job on this
model and how they did such an awful job on their "Rebuilt Boxcar" is beyond me.

Ben Hom

Brian Carlson

I don't usually disagree with Ben but I'd only give them a very good for this car. The location of the brake components on the underframe are not always accurate for each car. I give them a pass since you have to draw the line somplace and generally the components are easy to relocate. A bigger issue is their goofy body bolster that makes it difficult to substitute the correct trucks on the cars. There bolster issue is right there with the first run BLI K7a.

I whole heartedly agree with Ben that the USRA rebuild is atrocious!

Brian Carlson

________________________________

Atlas did an excellent job on their 1932 ARA boxcars, going through the trouble to do tooling for
different variations and offering them in correct paint schemes.  How they did such a good job on this
model and how they did such an awful job on their "Rebuilt Boxcar" is beyond me.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Is any one of the Atlas 1932 box car variations good for the CGW cars
with their Murphy ends, smooth roofs and Creco doors? I just got my final
order from Greg Komar filled, and it includes a set for the CGW cars...

Tim O'Connor

Brian Carlson wrote:
"I don't usually disagree with Ben but I'd only give them a very good for this car. The location of the brake components on the underframe are not always accurate for each car. I give them a pass since you have to draw the line somplace and generally the components are easy to relocate. A bigger issue is their goofy body bolster that makes it difficult to substitute the correct trucks on the cars. There bolster issue is right there with the first run BLI K7a."

I didn't say perfect! Besides, we all know RTR isn't really RTR.  :)

Brian does raise some excellent points, and I agree with his "very good" assessment.  I'm still impressed by the investment in multiple tooling, something many of us thought would deter manufacturers from doing this prototype.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Tim O'Connor asked:
"Is any one of the Atlas 1932 box car variations good for the CGW cars
with their Murphy ends, smooth roofs and Creco doors? I just got my final
order from Greg Komar filled, and it includes a set for the CGW cars..."

Atlas offered seven different variations, but this isn't one of them.
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar.htm
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar1.htm
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar3.htm

Looks like a kitbash from their #2 body with new ends and doors; maybe Atlas didn't tool this variation as only CGW and NdeM had them; however, you'd think they would sell lots of NdeM cars due to the "gee whiz" factor alone.

Ben Hom

Todd Horton

The C of G car is pretty close, the CGRHS worked with Atlas on the art work for this model. The "Streamlined Money Saver" paint was painted for about one year (52'-53') on various boxcars for the Central. There's a photo in one of the Trackside books showing one of these in this paint scheme (IIRC) in 61' North of Pottsville Pa. One thing I did see wrong is that the Atlas model has poling pockets, the CG cars did not have them.

Todd Horton

________________________________
Are any of the cars prototypically accurate?

Jim Lancaster

Kenneth Montero

Ben,

In the third link in your email (a link to the October 2011 run), Atlas shows an NdeM boxcar. What are your thoughts about the degree of accuracy?

Ken Montero

"Is any one of the Atlas 1932 box car variations good for the CGW cars
with their Murphy ends, smooth roofs and Creco doors? I just got my final
order from Greg Komar filled, and it includes a set for the CGW cars..."

Atlas offered seven different variations, but this isn't one of them.
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar.htm
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar1.htm
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar3.htm

Looks like a kitbash from their #2 body with new ends and doors; maybe Atlas didn't tool this variation as only CGW and NdeM had them; however, you'd think they would sell lots of NdeM cars due to the "gee whiz" factor alone.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Ken Montero asked:
"In the third link in your email (a link to the October 2011 run), Atlas shows an NdeM boxcar. What are your thoughts about the degree of accuracy?
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar3.htm

It's a foobie.  All of the NdeM cars had 7/8 Murphy ends and Pullman carbuilder ("reverse CRECo") doors.

Ben Hom

Donald B. Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., Lancaster James <ljames1@...> wrote:

Atlas says these are new paint schemes.
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar4.htm

Are any of the cars prototypically accurate?

Jim Lancaster

Well, let's take them one at a time.

CofG - Appears to be accurate for a short-term paint design used for
only a year or two in the very early 1950's. See Culotta p.28.

Erie - Paint and lettering are right on but will the model have
"Buckeye" ends? I'd like to think so but expect that is asking
too much. IIRC it may have a "Viking" roof, however. See
Culotta pages 124 - 139.

MEC - Nice job and accurate for those repainted from 1947 until
about 1954. The earlier MEC version from Atlas is also good.
See Cullota page 144.

NS - I have nothing to go on for this special merchandise service
paint job nor does it appear in Ted Culotta's book.

NC&StL - Right on for the "as built" paint and nice to have to go
with the earlier Atlas "cigar band" paint plan. One can
also add the "To and From Dixieland" slogan above the
reporting marks of this new version if decals can be found.
See Culotta page 170 & 174.

SAL - Appears to be right on for repaints from 1953 to about 1960.
See Culotta page 203.

With the exception of the MEC, which I was personally involved with from 1969 until about six months after the Guilford takeover, I have relied soley on Ted Culotta's wonderful book on the 1932 ARA cars.
To me this is the single best book ever written about a particular car type and one which no one interested in them should try to do without.
I just hope Ted can get things squared away so that he might offer more of what he has provided for us in the past. I know well what he has been through in the past two to three years, wish him well and recognize
his many wonderful contributions to our enjoyment of the hobby.

In closing it appears I need to take another look at the Atlas USRA rebuilds. Anyone know of a good book to suggest?

Cordially, Don Valentine

Benjamin Hom

Don Valentine asked:
"In closing it appears I need to take another look at the Atlas USRA rebuilds. Anyone know of a good book to suggest?"

No single source yet.  RP Cyc 24 for the double-sheathed rebuilds; Martin Lofton's overview articles in the September and October 1989 issues of Railroad Model Craftsman, many other articles by Martin in the early 1990s in Model Railroading and Railmodel Journal (author search at http://index.mrmag.com/ will turn these up). See also spreadsheets summarizing DS and SS boxcars in the group files section compiled by myself and Larry Kline.

Ben Hom

Bill Welch

The undecorated kit version of the Erie car I have has the correct roof and ends and the correct shorter "tab" under the door with the extra tab on the sill to the right of this long tab.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "Don" <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Lancaster James <ljames1@> wrote:

Atlas says these are new paint schemes.
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/ho1932boxcar4.htm

Are any of the cars prototypically accurate?

Jim Lancaster

Well, let's take them one at a time.

Erie - Paint and lettering are right on but will the model have
"Buckeye" ends? I'd like to think so but expect that is asking
too much. IIRC it may have a "Viking" roof, however. See
Culotta pages 124 - 139.

MEC - Nice job and accurate for those repainted from 1947 until

Cordially, Don Valentine

Todd Horton

"CofG - Appears to be accurate for a short-term paint design used for
only a year or two in the very early 1950's. See Culotta p.28."

These cars were only painted this scheme for a short time period but they still carried this paint many years later. I recall seeing a photo of a Cof G car in the 70's still wearing the "Streamlined Money Saver" paint scheme.

Todd Horton

________________________________
[...]

spsalso

The Erie car will have Buckeye ends, see link:

http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/ho1932boxcar/1108/20000324_TQ.jpg

Ed

Edward Sutorik

spsalso

Here's an interesting link illustrating the cars:

http://www.ttnut.com/1937-aar-standard-design-boxcar-survey-t1203-10.html

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Benjamin Hom

Ed Sutorik wrote:
"Here's an interesting link illustrating the cars:
http://www.ttnut.com/1937-aar-standard-design-boxcar-survey-t1203-10.html

Ed, double check the subject line again.  We're talking about the earlier 1932 ARA cars, not the 1937 AAR cars that evolved from them.  Erie had cars of both designs with Buckeye ends.

Ben Hom

Bill Schneider

"Erie - Paint and lettering are right on but will the model have
"Buckeye" ends? I'd like to think so but expect that is asking
too much. IIRC it may have a "Viking" roof, however"

Don,

This is a car from the last Erie run (large herald), unchanged except for
wheels, couplers and weathering.

http://home.comcast.net/~oandw/images/lm_local.jpg

Bill Schneider

pennsylvania1954

And, please, let's not forget about the extensive listing of 1932 cars prepared by Ed Hawkins on the Steam Era Freight Cars site.

http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/1932arapdfmain.html

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

--- In STMFC@..., "spsalso" <Edwardsutorik@...> wrote:

The Erie car will have Buckeye ends, see link:

http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/ho1932boxcar/1108/20000324_TQ.jpg

WOW! Thanks very much, Ed. Don't know how I missed that photo in
Atlas' Past HO Releases. Buckeye ends and a Viking roofs make the
Erie car a must in multiples for me. And leave it to Bill Schneider to
come up with a great O&W photo showing one of the Erie cars as well.
That IS a prototype photo, right Bill????? What a great shot!

Thanks again, Don Valentine