40ft Athearn Flatcar kit - does it represent any prototype?

jatravia <jatravia@...>

Hello,

I recently purchased an Athearn blue box flatcar kit at a flee market,
cheap, for sake of practicing weathering. It is a 40ft flatcar w/
stakes (model #1350 if I'm reading the box right). It is lettered for
the Pennsy and is # 425500. The car data that I can read suggest a
build date of 1950.

I was going to assemble and weather it as is but I am curious: does this
car match any prototype close enough to warrant an upgrade? I wasn't
able to find a photo of the real PRR 425500 but it does appear to have
actually been a flatcar. Any thoughts? I'd be interested in trying a
full repaint and decal job if someone could point me in the right
direction. Otherwise I'm going to weather it and forget it.

Thank you,

Joe Travia <><

al_brown03

Well, it isn't a Pennsy car AFAIK ... but it is pretty close to a prototype or two. (The criteria are sidesill shape, number/placement of stake pockets, and to a lesser extent deck details and underframe shape.) The Rutland had some flats close to it, and there's also an ACL class much like it (albeit often overlooked because they were rebuilds). I want to say there was one more ... I'm working from memory on this, will try to be more specific when I get home tonight.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "jatravia" <jatravia@...> wrote:

Hello,

I recently purchased an Athearn blue box flatcar kit at a flee market,
cheap, for sake of practicing weathering. It is a 40ft flatcar w/
stakes (model #1350 if I'm reading the box right). It is lettered for
the Pennsy and is # 425500. The car data that I can read suggest a
build date of 1950.

I was going to assemble and weather it as is but I am curious: does this
car match any prototype close enough to warrant an upgrade? I wasn't
able to find a photo of the real PRR 425500 but it does appear to have
actually been a flatcar. Any thoughts? I'd be interested in trying a
full repaint and decal job if someone could point me in the right
direction. Otherwise I'm going to weather it and forget it.

Thank you,

Joe Travia <><

Bruce Smith

Joe,

Definitely not appropriate for PRR. The classic PRR 40' flat is the FM, which has been produced in HO in resin by Sunshine and F&C. There are no RTR or shake the box kits for this class (The Red Caboose flat is sold as a PRR FM but is not close).

According to the RPI site, the Athearn 40 flat is a relatively odd prototype due to the 11 stake pockets. Some railroads they list with fishbelly side sill 40' cars with 11 stake pockets include ACL. Monon, Rutland, TA&G, TP&W, and possibly some NYC cars. The review goes on to state that making it a 12 pocket flat increases the prototype possibilities, but to be honest, the analysis posted there seems a little dated and thin on details.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Aug 15, 2013, at 5:48 AM, jatravia wrote:

Hello,

I recently purchased an Athearn blue box flatcar kit at a flee market,
cheap, for sake of practicing weathering. It is a 40ft flatcar w/
stakes (model #1350 if I'm reading the box right). It is lettered for
the Pennsy and is # 425500. The car data that I can read suggest a
build date of 1950.

I was going to assemble and weather it as is but I am curious: does this
car match any prototype close enough to warrant an upgrade? I wasn't
able to find a photo of the real PRR 425500 but it does appear to have
actually been a flatcar. Any thoughts? I'd be interested in trying a
full repaint and decal job if someone could point me in the right
direction. Otherwise I'm going to weather it and forget it.

Thank you,

Joe Travia <><

Benjamin Hom

Joe Travia asked:
"I recently purchased an Athearn blue box flatcar kit at a fle[a]
market, cheap, for sake of practicing weathering. It is a 40ft
flatcar w/stakes (model #1350 if I'm reading the box right). It is
lettered for the Pennsy and is # 425500. The car data that I can read
suggest a build date of 1950.

I was going to assemble and weather it as is but I am curious: does
this car match any prototype close enough to warrant an upgrade? I
wasn't able to find a photo of the real PRR 425500 but it does appear
to have actually been a flatcar. Any thoughts? I'd be interested in
trying a full repaint and decal job if someone could point me in the
right direction. Otherwise I'm going to weather it and forget it."

BLUF: While not intended to match a specific prototype and not
accurate as lettered for PRR, the Athearn 40 ft flat car can be used
to model cars from at least two railroads, the Rutland and NYC. The
Rutland projects have been documented in the hobby press by Richard
Hendrickson and John Nehrich.

Irv Athearn had a habit of coming up with "generic" cars in his line
based on no specific prototype, including the 40 ft and 50 ft
flatcar, the 50 ft riveted side plug door boxcar, the 34 ft ribbed
side hopper, and the 50 ft gon.

Fortunately for the prototype modeler, some of these cars resemble
actual prototypes closely enough to build credible models from them.
Your model is incorrect out of the box - PRR 422500 is a Class FM
flatcar, which the Athearn car does not accurately model:
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/dispclass.cgi?class=FM

However, it is close enough to at least two prototypes. The first is
the Rutland, and this detailing project has been covered in the hobby
press, both by Richard Hendrickson in the August 1993 issue of
Railmodel Journal, and by John Nehrich in "Flats and Gons for the
NEB&W" in the January 1986 issue of Model Railroader. (The RPI
club's NEB&W flats are based on the Rutland prototype.) Here's a
link to Richard's article:
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/150/10854/august-1993-page-16

The second, and one I need to research more closely, is at least one
lot of NYC flats. NYC 495293-495692 (ex-NYC&HR 31293-31692), Lot 255-
F (400 cars, ACF, 1910) appears to be close as well (photo from the
pay side of the RPI website, diagram from Terry Link's website):
http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/index.php?title=File:Rolling-stock_flats_nyc-flat-w-cable-reels.jpg
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/lot-255.jpg

I need to research this more closely as the NYC spread cars of the
same design across multiple lots, so there might be more cars out
there. The full NYC diagram has a table showing which lots it
represents, which I'll check tonight after work.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

I try to stay far away from flee markets...

I recently purchased an Athearn blue box flatcar kit at a flee market

Armand Premo

Train shows?Flea markets?Tim every once in awhile you find a nugget.Armand Premo ----- Original Message -----
I try to stay far away from flee markets...

>> I recently purchased an Athearn blue box flatcar kit at a flee market

Bruce Smith

I run away from flee markets ;^)

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn Al

On Aug 15, 2013, at 10:45 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

I try to stay far away from flee markets...

I recently purchased an Athearn blue box flatcar kit at a flee market

jatravia <jatravia@...>

Well, it looks like I am going to be modeling a Rutland car! Thanks for
the responses folks. Very helpful and greatly appreciated.

BTW - flee, flea, yeah, I meant to do that ... yeah, just to see who was
paying attention. Good job! You passed the test!

Joe Travia <><