Rutland PS-1

Bill Welch

Were all of the well-known green & yellow Rutland PS-1's built in
1956 (and perhaps afterward) or conversely were any built before
October 1955?

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727-470-9930
fgexbill@...

Phillip Blancher <pblancher@...>

August 1954 was the delivery of the first 8 cars, 100-107. The remaining 42
from the first order was September 1954. The first 8 were actually built
for Erie and subsequently sold to Rutland as the Erie went to 50' cars.

The last of the Rutland PS-1's were delivered in 1957.

Phil
Membership Chair, Rutland Railroad Historical Society.
http://www.rutlandrr.org

--
Phillip Blancher
http://about.me/phillipblancher

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...>wrote:

Were all of the well-known green & yellow Rutland PS-1's built in
1956 (and perhaps afterward) or conversely were any built before
October 1955?

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727-470-9930
fgexbill@...

Bill

This is (essentially) a cut and paste from Ed Hawkin's PS-1 spreadsheet:

Rutland 100-107 8 8-54 lot 8175B 7' YSD-2 Ajax Gypsum ASF A3
Rutland 108-149 42 10-54 lot 8207 7' 5P Sup Univ Apex ASF A3
Rutland 150-199 50 2-55 lot 8225 7' 5P Sup Univ Apex ASF A3
Rutland 200-299 100 3-56 lot 8281 7' 5P Sup Univ Apex ASF A3
Rutland 300-399 101 8-56 lot 8300 8' PS Univ Apex ASF A3 #223 backfill
Rutland 400-450 52 4-57 lot 8373 8' PS Apex ASF A3 #354 backfill

Tim O'Connor

Were all of the well-known green & yellow Rutland PS-1's built in
1956 (and perhaps afterward) or conversely were any built before
October 1955?
Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Thank you Phillip and Tim:

The best for me would be: Rutland 150-199 50 2-55 lot 8225 7' 5P Sup Univ Apex ASF A3

I just did a quick check of the Kadee site and they have never done this group. I think I will write them and encourage them to consider it.

Bill Welch

Bill

This is (essentially) a cut and paste from Ed Hawkin's PS-1 spreadsheet:

Rutland 100-107 8 8-54 lot 8175B 7' YSD-2 Ajax Gypsum ASF A3
Rutland 108-149 42 10-54 lot 8207 7' 5P Sup Univ Apex ASF A3
Rutland 150-199 50 2-55 lot 8225 7' 5P Sup Univ Apex ASF A3
Rutland 200-299 100 3-56 lot 8281 7' 5P Sup Univ Apex ASF A3
Rutland 300-399 101 8-56 lot 8300 8' PS Univ Apex ASF A3 #223 backfill
Rutland 400-450 52 4-57 lot 8373 8' PS Apex ASF A3 #354 backfill

Tim O'Connor

Were all of the well-known green & yellow Rutland PS-1's built in
1956 (and perhaps afterward) or conversely were any built before
October 1955?
Bill Welch

Phillip Blancher <pblancher@...>

Furthering that reply:

100-107 are thought to be the 8 final cars from a 500 car order the Erie
ordered in late 1953. These had 7-foot youngstown doors, ajax break wheels
and gypsum roof walks.

Meanwhile, PS had built on spec 200 cars with 8' doors, cushion underframes
and load restraining devices. The Erie took 10 of these cars to finish off
their 500 car order, and left 10 of the 7 foot cars at PS.

C&NW bought two cars in April 1954 with the same order number as the 500
(490 delivered), 7' door cars from Erie with an 'A' appended to their order
number.

The Rutland order was placed in June 1954, and the bulk of which (42 cars)
were delivered in October of that year. The first 8 cars, 100-107 were
those 8 left over from the unreceived final ten cars of the Erie. Those 8
cars have the same order number for the Rutland, as the Erie but with a "b"
appended.

Now, the Rutland order was initially for 50 cars, so the remaining 8 cars
from their order, which had Superior 7' 5-panel Doors, Universal brake
wheels and Apex roof walks, were left over. 42 were delivered to the
Rutland, and 8 left over which went to... Central of Georgia. They have the
same order number as Rutland's 42 cars, with an A appended to the number.

This is all sourced from an article by Chris Martin on page 30 of Volume
24, Number 4 of the Rutland Railroad Historical Society's quarterly
magazine, "The Newsliner".

Phil

--

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Phillip Blancher <pblancher@...>wrote:

[...]

Bill,

These have not been done by Kadee, but they have been by "The Steamshack",
a hobby shop in Rutland, VT as kits or RTR. Roger Dumas owns The Steamshack
and is involved with the RRHS. The later runs, which were done by
Intermountain, are considered by many as the most accurate of all models of
the Rutland PS-1's. The lettering comes from paint diagrams from the
Rutland, have metal roof-walks, yellow roofs, proper brake wheel and metal
wheel sets. When I last talked to Roger a month or so ago, he had some RTR
cars left, but I don't recall what numbers they were that he had.

Steamshack's contact information - *The Steam Shack*. 98 Allen Street, *
Rutland*, *Vermont* USA 05701. Telephone: 802-775-1679

If you'd like to know what numbers were made, go to
http://www.rutlandrr.org/resources/models/ . There is a listing of PS-1's
that have been done in HO scale.

Hope this helps.

Phil

--

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM, lnbill <fgexbill@...> wrote:

[...]

I have 14 photos on my disk drive of Rutland PS-1's and not one
is from 150-199. Weird. You probably know that Kadee is usually
downright persnickety about having a photo to work from...

Tim O'Connor

Thank you Phillip and Tim:

The best for me would be: Rutland 150-199 50 2-55 lot 8225 7' 5P Sup Univ Apex ASF A3

I just did a quick check of the Kadee site and they have never done this group. I think I will write them and encourage them to consider it.

Bill Welch

Bill

This is (essentially) a cut and paste from Ed Hawkin's PS-1 spreadsheet:

Rutland 100-107 8 8-54 lot 8175B 7' YSD-2 Ajax Gypsum ASF A3
Rutland 108-149 42 10-54 lot 8207 7' 5P Sup Univ Apex ASF A3
Rutland 150-199 50 2-55 lot 8225 7' 5P Sup Univ Apex ASF A3
Rutland 200-299 100 3-56 lot 8281 7' 5P Sup Univ Apex ASF A3
Rutland 300-399 101 8-56 lot 8300 8' PS Univ Apex ASF A3 #223 backfill
Rutland 400-450 52 4-57 lot 8373 8' PS Apex ASF A3 #354 backfill

Tim O'Connor

Phillip Blancher <pblancher@...>

I have photos of 156, 168, 170, 193, 194 and 197. Several of the 150-199
series also have been published in issues of the RRHS magazine.

Phil

--

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 12:19 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>wrote:

[...]

Uh-oh, you're not one of the "yellow roofers" are ya? :-)

Clearly, some had yellow roofs, some did not. Has anyone ever
figured out which cars had which?

I'm looking at a nice photo of brand new R #248, with a plain
galvanized roof and black seam caps. This is one of Kadee's
car numbers, but not Steamshack's.

Tim O'

[...]

Yes, I am a member of the Yellow-Roof Society. That doesn't mean I don't
believe some had unpainted Galvanized roofs. I haven't done a lot of
research yet, but I suspect the Yellow Roof, Silver Roof issue has to deal
with not all of the PS-1's coming from the same plant.

Based just on the fact that there are 24 numbers available from various
Intermountain releases vs 4 numbers from Kadee, I went with Intermountain.
Earlier kits from Steamshack, Express Station and Intermountain needs
updates such as metal roof walks, lettering improvements and other tweaks.
Thankfully we have Plano roof walks and other detail parts. If you can get
them, Jerry Glow makes decals to help fix the lettering on the earlier runs
as well. The decals were designed with help from many in the RRHS and lots
of photos.

Phil

--

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 12:41 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>wrote:

[...]

Armand Premo

Tim,You reopened an old wound.Silver roofs or Yellow roofs or merely an over-spray which was not uncommon.Actually the roofs were unpainted galvanize and not painted silver.Armand Premo

Uh-oh, you're not one of the "yellow roofers" are ya? :-)

Clearly, some had yellow roofs, some did not. Has anyone ever
figured out which cars had which?

I'm looking at a nice photo of brand new R #248, with a plain
galvanized roof and black seam caps. This is one of Kadee's
car numbers, but not Steamshack's.

Tim O'

>Bill,
>
>These have not been done by Kadee, but they have been by "The Steamshack",
>a hobby shop in Rutland, VT as kits or RTR. Roger Dumas owns The Steamshack
>and is involved with the RRHS. The later runs, which were done by
>Intermountain, are considered by many as the most accurate of all models of
>the Rutland PS-1's. The lettering comes from paint diagrams from the
>Rutland, have metal roof-walks, yellow roofs, proper brake wheel and metal
>wheel sets. When I last talked to Roger a month or so ago, he had some RTR
>cars left, but I don't recall what numbers they were that he had.
>
>Steamshack's contact information - *The Steam Shack*. 98 Allen Street, *
>Rutland*, *Vermont* USA 05701. Telephone: 802-775-1679
>
>If you'd like to know what numbers were made, go to
>http://www.rutlandrr.org/resources/models/ . There is a listing of PS-1's
>that have been done in HO scale.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Phil

Bill Schneider

I'm well aware of the "yellow/silver roof". discussions.. But this thread
has presented some additional information that I was not aware of and might
shed a little light on this.

Erie cars of that time period often had unpainted galvanized roofs (note -
Not "painted silver"). If the first Rutland cars were in fact ex-Erie
orders, is it not likely that PS just painted the sides/ends as they would
have on the rest of the Erie order, leaving the roof unfinished?

Just sayin'..

Bill Schneider

<mailto:timboconnor%40comcast.net> >wrote:

[...]

That same article by Chris Martin states that the roofs were painted
yellow. Cars 100-107 were delivered to the Rutland in time for the county
fair that year. It is unknown if PS offered the 8 cars to get rid of them
and the Rutland, being a frugal New England road, got a deal. Or if the
Rutland went to PS and asked if they could get something quick in the new
scheme to show off. We likely will never know that. Either way, many
photos, colour and black and white, were taken of 100 when on display, and
it had a yellow roof.

From Martin's article, "If this theory holds water, the yellow roofs of
100-107 may have covered up the black roofs that were the Erie's
preference."

Phil

--
Phillip Blancher
http://about.me/phillipblancher

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Bill Schneider
<bschneider424@...>wrote:

[...]

The original cars were used extensively for PR purposes for the general public,but mainly for potential customers and may have had painted roofs.I have taken pictures from above and the paint did not fully cover the roof and appeared to be applied in an irregular pattern suggesting over-spray.I stand by my original statement that the roofs were not pained silver either ,but were unpainted. galvanize.I defer to Steve Mumley for additional comments.Armand Premo

That same article by Chris Martin states that the roofs were painted
yellow. Cars 100-107 were delivered to the Rutland in time for the county
fair that year. It is unknown if PS offered the 8 cars to get rid of them
and the Rutland, being a frugal New England road, got a deal. Or if the
Rutland went to PS and asked if they could get something quick in the new
scheme to show off. We likely will never know that. Either way, many
photos, colour and black and white, were taken of 100 when on display, and
it had a yellow roof.

From Martin's article, "If this theory holds water, the yellow roofs of

<bschneider424@...>wrote:

> I'm well aware of the "yellow/silver roof". discussions.. But this thread
> has presented some additional information that I was not aware of and might
> shed a little light on this.
>

> Erie cars of that time period often had unpainted galvanized roofs (note -
> Not "painted silver"). If the first Rutland cars were in fact ex-Erie
> orders, is it not likely that PS just painted the sides/ends as they would
> have on the rest of the Erie order, leaving the roof unfinished?
>

> Just sayin'..
>

> Bill Schneider

I don't know if I can agree with that Bill. Car exteriors were painted
after the whole car was assembled, so why wouldn't they paint the WHOLE
car according to the Rutland's instructions?

On the other hand, Pullman-Standard did produce some oddly painted cars.
For example, most C&NW PS-1 box cars had black ends and roofs -- but the
#24739 was delivered with box car red ends and roof. There's a beautiful
builder photo of this car so many vendors have painted some C&NW PS-1's
incorrectly, including Intermountain.

Tim O'