C of G 40' door and a half cars

Brian Carlson

Cleaning my workbench today and found a sunshine mini-kit for a Central of
Georgia 40 ft' Door and a half boxcar. Looking at some pics of the cars I
believe they were W corners is this correct? Did these cars stay with 10 ft
openings for their service lives? Some RR's welded or removed the Aux door
when 40 ft cars with 10 ft openings went out of favor for Automobile
service.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga, NY

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 25, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Brian Carlson <prrk41361@yahoo.com> wrote:

Cleaning my workbench today and found a sunshine mini-kit for a Central of
Georgia 40 ft' Door and a half boxcar. Looking at some pics of the cars I
believe they were W corners is this correct?
Yes.

Did these cars stay with 10 ft
openings for their service lives? Some RR's welded or removed the Aux door
when 40 ft cars with 10 ft openings went out of favor for Automobile
service.
Yes. I have photos from as late as 1962 still with 10' doors. These cars were never in automobile service; they were intended for furniture loading and were used for that, as well as routine XM service, as long as they lasted on the C of G. Incidentally, they had Barber S-2 trucks with spring planks, the truck recently introduced in Ho scale by Tahoe Model Works. I'm sending you a photo off-list of a car reweighed and repainted in '54.

Richard Hendrickson

Rob Adams

Brian;

Yes, the 700 door and a half boxcars with 1937 AAR 10'-0" IH design
features built for the CofG door did have a round corner with W-section
corner post. They fell into the following groups:

Series 6300-6499, 200 cars, AC&F, Lot 2700 - delivered November, 1944
Series 6500-6574, 100 cars, Pullman-Standard, Lot 5678 - delivered
August, 1941
Series 6600-6999, 400 cars, Pullman-Standard, Lot 5778 - delivered
February, 1945

I'm not an expert about the service history of the cars, so can't help
with the second question.

Kind regards,

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA

On 8/25/13 5:41 PM, Brian Carlson wrote:

Cleaning my workbench today and found a sunshine mini-kit for a Central of
Georgia 40 ft' Door and a half boxcar. Looking at some pics of the cars I
believe they were W corners is this correct? Did these cars stay with
10 ft
openings for their service lives? Some RR's welded or removed the Aux door
when 40 ft cars with 10 ft openings went out of favor for Automobile
service.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga, NY

Todd Horton

Brian, The C of G had several lots of 40' and 50' door and a half's. The cars had this door arraignment up until the Sou takeover (1963) I'm not sure after that. The cars were all "W" corner design except for the first lot of 50' cars delivered in 1937.

Todd Horton

________________________________
Cleaning my workbench today and found a sunshine mini-kit for a Central of
Georgia 40 ft' Door and a half boxcar. Looking at some pics of the cars I
believe they were W corners is this correct? Did these cars stay with 10 ft
openings for their service lives? Some RR's welded or removed the Aux door
when 40 ft cars with 10 ft openings went out of favor for Automobile
service.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga, NY

Eric Lombard

A bit of post-1960 service history (for which I hope not to be arrested) because the cars are unusual and become even more so:
Over 1965-1966, 558 cars out of 6300-6499; 6500-6599; and 6600-6999 were rebuilt to IL = 50-6 by Transco and renumbered into CG 2441-2998. The original double doors were kept. The added 10' center roof sections were diagonal panels. A prominent side sill reinforcement was added between the bolsters, the running board removed, and ladders cut down.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/sout/cg2874ajs.jpg

In 1-1970 there were 549 of these cars in service.

They were renumbered into the Southern as SOU 521500-522057.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/sout/sou521701akg.jpg

Eric Lombard

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Carlson" <prrk41361@...> wrote:

Cleaning my workbench today and found a sunshine mini-kit for a Central of
Georgia 40 ft' Door and a half boxcar. Looking at some pics of the cars I
believe they were W corners is this correct? Did these cars stay with 10 ft
openings for their service lives? Some RR's welded or removed the Aux door
when 40 ft cars with 10 ft openings went out of favor for Automobile
service.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga, NY

Kenneth Montero

While they were renumbered and lettered for the Southern, they still carried a Central of Georgia subsidiary marking "C of G" in the upper left corner. Southern did this style of subsidiary markings (in different places) with locomotives, freight cars and passenger cars owned by its subsidiaries.

Ken Montero

[...]

Richard, I have never been able to determine the reason the C of G purchased so many to these cars with the 10' door and a half opening. Do you have information stating they were bought specifically for the furniture industry?

Todd Horton

On Aug 27, 2013, at 3:33 AM, Todd Horton <toddchorton@rocketmail.com> wrote:

Richard, I have never been able to determine the reason the C of G purchased so many to these cars with the 10' door and a half opening. Do you have information stating they were bought specifically for the furniture industry?
I have seen such information, I believe in an article in Railway Age or one of the other industry periodicals at the time the cars were built. But I can't document that.

Richard Hendrickson