Tichy open grid roof walks

ed_mines

Anyone care to make a comment? Better/worse than etched roof walks?

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

What's bad about etched running boards?
Pierre Oliver

ed_mines

They are a little bit difficult to attach & paint, they may detach/bend due to differences in thermal expansion.

Plastic ones can be solvent welded & are a lot cheaper.

--- In STMFC@..., <stmfc@...> wrote:

What's bad about etched running boards?
Pierre Oliver

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

True but they're lumpy and oversized.
Pierre Oliver

Tony Thompson

       Use Canopy Glue! No problems with differential expansion. Done it for years with both running boards and diesel grilles.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

mopacfirst

I bought one a couple years ago, never installed it. It's a little thick, and the grid may be too big (not enough bars so the holes are bigger than prototype). But, it's styrene so should mount easier than the metal ones.

Don't know if you can sand the Tichy one so it's thinner. That might be an idea worth trying. I'm not home so can't look at it in person. No doubt there would no difficulty installing wire corner grabs on it.

I've been quite happy with the Branchline ones, which are closer to scale in terms of number of bars but of course not open, except the very ends. And I use a lot of the Kadee ones, but for some reason they like to curl up at the ends.

So I'd recommend trying one and letting us know how it looks.

Ron Merrick

mrprksr <mrprksr@...>

Tony...Is Canopy Glue a generic name...Is there one brand better than an other for our uses....Thanks...Larry Mennie

       Use Canopy Glue! No problems with differential expansion. Done it for years with both running boards and diesel grilles.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony Thompson

Tony...Is Canopy Glue a generic name...Is there one brand better than an other for our uses....Thanks...Larry Mennie

       Yes, that's the generic name. I wrote about this in a blog post, which covers brands. If interested, you can see it at:

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

mrprksr <mrprksr@...>

Thanks Tony....Larry Mennie

Tony...Is Canopy Glue a generic name...Is there one brand better than an other for our uses....Thanks...Larry Mennie

       Yes, that's the generic name. I wrote about this in a blog post, which covers brands. If interested, you can see it at:

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Michael Watnoski

Greetings,

Another product similar to canopy cement is Alene's Tacky glue. It may be more readily available. Wal-Mart also has pack of 5 different versions of this in sample size bottles.

Michael

Bill Welch

Bowser offers the open grid running board that comes with their covered hopper as a separate item, two to a tube. For a forty-foot boxcar they need to be spliced together which is very easy. It is a much finer part, thinner than the Tichy item. There is also the Kadee running board available now for a couple of years I think.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Pierre" <pierre.oliver@...> wrote:

True but they're lumpy and oversized.
Pierre Oliver

Greg Martin

I have used the Tichy running boards see my article in the Zephyr of the Sioux City Dressed beef NX reefer. I know Stand Rydarowicz swears by them.  They can be trimmed easily to shorter lengths with no issue.

I do thin mine down by turning it upside down on masking tape and sanding it slightly thinker and beveling the edge.

I have and use some Etched running board (still don't get why they are not brass) but in profile they are too thin.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

--- In STMFC@..., wrote:

What's bad about etched running boards?
Pierre Oliver

Greg Martin

Lumpy? Oversized? vs. smooth and undersized? And in some cases the wrong visual profile.

Pierre have you actually tried them?

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 9/8/2013 12:16:41 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, pierre.oliver@... writes:

True but they're lumpy and oversized.
Pierre Oliver

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

Yes I have.
And my preference remains with etched.
I concede that the Plano etched running boards can present challenges for mounting, but the variety of flexible adhesives available can solve most issues.
And we're working on a variation of etched running boards that are the correct thickness and nice fine patterns. Stay tuned.
Pierre Oliver

Michael Watnoski wrote:

Another product similar to canopy cement is Alene's Tacky glue. It may be more readily available. Wal-Mart also has pack of 5 different versions of this in sample size bottles.

      Similar, yes, but not the same. For one thing, it's not as strong when fully dry.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Greg

I've posted before -- an APEX running board is 1" thick, and the closest in scale
to this is an etched stainless steel running board. The Kadee running board is 100%
oversize in thickness. YMMV.

Stainless steel is stiffer than brass, and that's the reason. Brass parts deform easily.

Tim O'

  > I have and use some Etched running board (still don't get why they are not brass) but in profile they are too thin.
    > Greg Martin

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

So part of the issue with etched running boards is a limitation of the process.
Current etched running boards are indeed too thin, compared to the prototype. When designing an etched running board, the grid cannot be thinner than the thickness of the sheet material. So if you desire the lacy look of an Apex design you have to sacrifice thickness.
Some people have tried to deal with this by designing a running board that is 2 pieces and you fold over onto itself. The new S scale CNR 8 hatch reefers use this approach.
Experiments are underway right now to try a slightly different approach to the design process and get correct thickness running boards. Stay tuned.
Typical white or yellow brass is far too soft for this application. Stainless steel or nickel silver has been used for it's resistance to kinking and Phosphor bronze is also a good choice.
Having said all that, for a metal running board I prefer a too thin item over a too thick item. Just my opinion.

Pierre Oliver wrote:

Current etched running boards are indeed too thin, compared to the prototype.

      Nope. As Tim O'C corre4ctly stated, the Apex grid bars are 1 inch high. The Plano etched board is 0.0085" which in HO is 3/4-inch. The Kadee, to cite one of the best plastic ones out there, is 0.0205" or more than 1-3/4 inch. As Tim says, it is close to DOUBLE the prototype size.

Having said all that, for a metal running board I prefer a too thin item over a too thick item. Just my opinion.

       I agree, and the "too thin" product is CLOSEST to correct thickness. I fail to understand why this set of measurements has to be repeated every year or so, Apparently it is embedded in the consciousness of some modelers that etched metal is "too thin for correct size" -- and then they recommend Kadee, or worse, other brands. Time to face the physical facts, gentlemen or ladies.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

OTOH, replacement OPEN GRID walkways for the Atlas, Red Caboose,
and Intermountain tank cars -- that would be sweet. After 1950 I
think they stopped being built with solid walkways.

As Pierre said you could do these with bendable etchings, for
appearance (tank cars walkways are much thicker than box car
running boards) and also for strength and stiffness.

Plano made parts for tank car but they were not bendable and are
much too thin for tank cars.

Tim O'

 tony@... writes:

" I agree, and the "too thin" product is CLOSEST to correct thickness. I fail to understand why this set of measurements has to be repeated every year or so, Apparently it is embedded in the consciousness of some modelers that etched metal is "too thin for correct size" -- and then they recommend Kadee, or worse, other brands. Time to face the physical facts, gentlemen or ladies.

Tony Thompson"

Not that I don't use them I do but when the lacy-ness of the grid is thicker than the running board there is a visual problem that detracts from scale effectiveness. The Tichy can be made thinner and I have done that more than once, but you have to be careful removing it from the masking tape.

Bill Welch mentions the KADEE running boards and in my most humble opinion they may be thicker but that thickness is a small sacrifice for the lacy appearance of the APEX running boards. By far my favorite APEX running board on the market.

My criteria include that it must stand up to handling (the Tichy once thinned doesn't perform well here except for my own personal handling and etched have issue here as well), it has to be see through (there are exceptions), and they must represent the running board they are imitating... in the case here APEX. Plano has done a good job.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean