3-Dome GATX Type 30 Tank Car from Tangent make surprise debut

Bill Welch

Tangent quietly set out examples of the their new 3-dome 6K gallon tank car in the Model Display Room at the Lisle RPM meet today in several reporting marks. They will be on sale here tomorrow.

Bill Welch

Tom Madden

On sale through their web site, according to the following from trainorders.com:

"Tangent Scale Models introduces a HO scale 6,000 gallon, three-compartment General American Tank Car. Four paint schemes + undecorated kits and undecorated assembled versions.
http://tangentscalemodels.com/  "

Tom Madden

Brian Carlson

Now to wait for the experts to chime in on the car. I think a single dome car might sell more , but this one does have “cute” factor.

A quick review of my 1957 ORER. The Series in the July 1957 ORER is 1392-1601, 40 ton cars, 151 cars in the series. No other helpful information.  The Celanese cars do not appear as exceptions in my July 1957 ORER so they could  still in those numbers at that time. Unfortunately no prototype pics of this one on the site. The GATX ORER are less than helpful with respect to gallons and compartments.  Also, the STCX reporting mark appears to be retired by 1957 so I can’t use that and the other 2 are too new for me. So it appears I can save my money at this time unless more information on the Celanese cars comes to light.

Now if they do a single dome car. I’ll get 6-12 for the refinery in Warren Pa.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga, NY

jon miller <atsfus@...>

On 10/18/2013 6:10 PM, Brian Carlson wrote:
Now to wait for the experts to chime in on the car. I think a single dome car might sell more , but this one does have “cute” factor.
Not an expert but have always wanted a multi-dome for the cute factor.  A single dome 6K car would be nice also.  As interested in '41 for the cars.

--
Jon Miller For me time stopped in 1941 Digitrax--Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User NMRA Life member #2623 Member SFRH&MS

Douglas Harding

I took some photos of the Tangent car within the past hour, they were sitting on a display table. I have created a photo album and am uploading at the moment (very slow connection at the hotel). When posted they will be awaiting approval by Mike or Jeff, which hopefully will happen soon.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

jon miller <atsfus@...>

On 10/18/2013 5:20 PM, pullmanboss@... wrote:
"Tangent Scale Models introduces a HO scale 6,000 gallon, three-compartment General American Tank Car. Four paint schemes + undecorated kits and undecorated assembled versions.
http://tangentscalemodels.com/  "

    Yesterday I tried to order a couple of these but their site would not accept the order.  Today I tried to go to the site but it not there according to IE.  Anyone have any ideas?

--
Jon Miller For me time stopped in 1941 Digitrax--Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User NMRA Life member #2623 Member SFRH&MS

devansprr

!943 ORER only lists 4 SCTX cars under General American -   3 cars between 1000 and 2299, and car 9234 (one of the car numbers offered by Tangent)

Ted Culotta's tank car reference book shows MPCX 55 on pg 64 that seems to be a very good candidate for an undec model.

It's great to see Tangent take the plunge into the pre-war II fleet. But I hope they at least break even on this car. The data I have access to is pretty sketchy on the number of three-compartment cars, but photos would suggest that this is not a car for fleet purchases - one or two at the most.

This car may test the marketing question of which sells more - "cute" but relatively rare cars that a large percentage of modelers may buy one or two of, or common cars (like the Union type X cars) that are pretty plain, but large layout owners and the modular guys will buy a bunch of.

Wishing Tangent the best of luck and kudos for the model, and taking the risk.

I'll be buying STCX 9234 for sure, and maybe one or two undecs if the proper decals are/become available (e.g. MPCX 55, which the 1943 ORER suggests at least 10 cars like this existed (50-59), perhaps a few more.)

Dave Evans

---In stmfc@..., <doug.harding@...> wrote:

I took some photos of the Tangent car within the past hour, they were sitting on a display table. I have created a photo album and am uploading at the moment (very slow connection at the hotel). When posted they will be awaiting approval by Mike or Jeff, which hopefully will happen soon.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Tom Larsen

Had no problem going to the site using Google Chrome from Denmark, just tested again.
Maybe the rest of the production is for export only :-)

Nice looking cars by the way. What scheme would be the correct to use for the early 1950's on the western part of the Santa Fe system?
The STCX with a date patch,  the Celanese as is or is there an earlier GATX scheme not yet made by Tangent?

Kind regards

Tom Larsen
Holte, Denmark

"Tangent Scale Models introduces a HO scale 6,000 gallon, three-compartment General American Tank Car. Four paint schemes + undecorated kits and undecorated assembled versions.
http://tangentscalemodels.com/  "

    Yesterday I tried to order a couple of these but their site would not accept the order.  Today I tried to go to the site but it not there according to IE.  Anyone have any ideas?

--
Jon Miller For me time stopped in 1941 Digitrax--Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User NMRA Life member #2623 Member SFRH&MS

gary laakso

I was able to order these cars from Tangent last night using my iPad2.

gary laakso

"Tangent Scale Models introduces a HO scale 6,000 gallon, three-compartment General American Tank Car. Four paint schemes + undecorated kits and undecorated assembled versions.
http://tangentscalemodels.com/  "

    Yesterday I tried to order a couple of these but their site would not accept the order.  Today I tried to go to the site but it not there according to IE.  Anyone have any ideas?

--
Jon Miller For me time stopped in 1941 Digitrax--Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User NMRA Life member #2623 Member SFRH&MS

Tony Thompson

The STCX mark had been retired by the 50s. Celanese is fine (photo basis). The "58" scheme can be backdated as far back as late '40s.
Tony Thompson