Multi-dome tank car data

Clark Propst

I have some weigh bills for 2 and 3 dome tank cars. I’ve copied them below. Hope the info isn’t too mucked up?

1/25/1954 SVX  200 TM 8,000 gal 2 dome tank, Soc Vac Oil  Mueller Service and Supplies,  Watertown, MN GN-MW,  comp A 2532 gal kerosene comp B 5560 gal distillate
3/26/1954 SVX  202 TM 8,00 gal tank 2 dome, Soc Vac Oil  Mueller Service and Supplies,  Watertown, MN GN-MW,  comp A 2516 kero, comp B 5581 dist 8097 gals
10/27/1954 SVX  258 TM 8,000 gal 2 dome tank, Soc Vac Oil  Mueller Service, Watertown, MN GN-MW,  comp A kero 2485 gal, comp B dist 5418 gal
4/28/1954 UTLX  725 TM 2 dome tank, Soc Vac Oil  Mueller Service and Supplies,  Watertown, MN NP-MW,  gas A 2838, B 5131
3/10/1954 UTLX  2141 TM tank 3 dome, Standard Oil  Standard oil, Watertown, MN GN-MW,  gas comp A 2116, comp B 1973, comp C 2112, tal 6201 gals
5/17/1954 UTLX  2633 TM 3 dome tank, Soc Vac Oil  Mueller Service and Supples Watertown, MN NP-MW,  gas A 2194, B 2193, C 2190 tal 6577 gals
3/26/1954 UTLX  2799 TM tank 3 dome, Std Oil  Std Oil, Watertown, MN GN-MW,  dist comp A 2187, B 2211, C 2192 tal 6590 gals
3/22/1954 UTLX  2879 TM tank 3 dome, Std Oil  Standard Oil,  Watertown, MN GN-MW,  dist comp A 2195, comp B 2190, com C 2200 tal 6585 gals
4/2/1954 UTLX  3078 TM tank 3 dome, Std Oil  Standard Oil,  Watertown, MN GN-MW,  comp A 2200, B 2188, C 2200 tal 6588 gals dist

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

Clark,

This is very useful. What are the numbers in the third column? Is distillate
diesel fuel? Is tal the total car volume shipped?

Thanks.

Nelson Moyer

Iowa City, IA

[...]

Douglas Harding

Distilate was an early fuel, a cheap byproduct (some considered a waste product) of the petroleum refining process. It is not diesel nor is it gasoline. Distilate was commonly used over gasoline because it was half the cost. Diesel engines were expensive, thus were not commonly used in farming or highway trucks until the late 50’s when their higher torque proved popular. A lot of early farm tractors ran on distillate (but started with more expensive gasoline or kerosene), hence the large amounts of distilate delivered to local oil jobbers in the 30’s & 40’s. A three dome tank car could contain distilate, kerosene and gasoline in amounts a small dealer could receive. Distilate was also used in the earliest gas electrics, the UP’s M10000 burned distilate. The early Winton engines were designed to burn distilate. http://utahrails.net/loconotes/pcook-winton.php

The group files contains a spreadsheet “M&STL Station Books.xls” showing freight car delivery, and their contents, to two small towns on the M&StL, Minburn and Dallas Center IA. Years from the mid 40’s and mid 50’s are listed. The late Tim Gilbert took these spreadsheets and created one showing just the petroleum products and tank cars delivered to these towns in 1949, it is in the group files “49mslminburndallascenteroil.xls”. Note distilate is a common load, as is gasoline. A few loads of fuel oil (ie home heating oil), but no diesel in 1949.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

jon miller <atsfus@...>

On 10/21/2013 8:53 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:
A lot of early farm tractors ran on distillate (but started with more expensive gasoline or kerosene), hence the large amounts of distilate delivered to local oil jobbers in the 30’s & 40’s
    I just bought a Ford 8N.  Doing some research I noticed that you could buy it for either distillate or gas.  I don't remember the years for the option.

--

Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Clark Propst

What are the numbers in the third column? Is distillate
diesel fuel? Is tal the total car volume shipped?

Nelson, As near as I can tell, what you see as a third column is the car number. I do believe distillate is diesel fuel...?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

al_brown03

Very interesting that the SVX cars appear to have one compartment twice as big as the other. Now *that* would be an unusual model.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Tony Thompson

Al Brown wrote:

Very interesting that the SVX cars appear to have one compartment twice as big as the other. Now *that* would be an unusual model.

       There were a very few cars with one big and one small compartment, evidently built that way with equal-size domes. There were also cars with a big center dome and a small side dome, evidently conversions from single-compartment cars. Either could be readily kitbashed from the new Tangent car, either in kit form or in the primer-painted but unlettered version, and even in the lettered car--the location of lettering would make it easy to preserve, but then the car number and some other data would need replacing.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony Thompson

Doug Harding wrote:

Distilate was an early fuel, a cheap byproduct (some considered a waste product) of the petroleum refining process. It is not diesel nor is it gasoline. Distilate was commonly used over gasoline because it was half the cost. Diesel engines were expensive, thus were not commonly used in farming or highway trucks until the late 50’s when their higher torque proved popular. A lot of early farm tractors ran on distillate (but started with more expensive gasoline or kerosene), hence the large amounts of distilate delivered to local oil jobbers in the 30’s & 40’s. A three dome tank car could contain distilate, kerosene and gasoline in amounts a small dealer could receive. Distilate was also used in the earliest gas electrics, the UP’s M10000 burned distilate.

        We should be a little careful here with terms. "Distillate" can be a general term to denote ANY product distilled from crude oil. Its meaning has varied over time. Today it tends to mean "medium" distillate, which is heavier than gasoline, such as diesel and kerosene. Back in the period Doug is talking about, it meant a light fraction that contained several components now usually separated, which is why it was cheap. Moreover, each refinery had a little different meaning of "distillate" in those days. But I think Doug's main point is excellent: before 1950, diesel was little used by consumers, with still a lot of kerosene for all kinds of utility uses around farms and homes. Gasoline and distillate would be the two other fuels that most dealers would receive, in addition to kerosene and fuel oil.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tom Birkett <tnbirke@...>

Recall the original purpose of the "dome" was to provide expansion
space for the product in the car, or compartment in this discussion.
Therefore, a smaller done would be required.

Thomas N. Birkett, PE

Tom Birkett wrote:

Recall the  original purpose of the “dome” was to provide expansion space for the product in the car, or compartment in this discussion. Therefore, a smaller done would be required.

     Yes, a minimum volume of 2 percent of the compartment. Not sure why you say "original purpose . . ." since AFAIK it was the only purpose.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Scott Pitzer

"Adding character" is a secondary purpose of the domes.
Scott Pitzer

On Oct 21, 2013, at 10:05 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Tom Birkett wrote:

Recall the  original purpose of the “dome” was to provide expansion space for the product in the car, or compartment in this discussion. Therefore, a smaller done would be required.

     Yes, a minimum volume of 2 percent of the compartment. Not sure why you say "original purpose . . ." since AFAIK it was the only purpose.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Joseph

Clark,
Am converting a couple of Kadee PS1 into CGW 93000s.  I have perused your posts on the Freight car list and M&StL list.  The last question ins the brake wheel.  Do you know what type?
Thx,
Joe Binish

Am attending the 27th modelers retreat as well.  I will talk to you there.