metal tank cars

The posts about the new Tangent tank car and other tank car models prompted me to think about the Globe and Athearn metal tank cars from the forties and fifties.  I still have the Union 76 tank car that I built as a teenager.  I have an Athearn three-dome SHPX tank car on my circa-1953 layout.  I have a second three-dome car that is in need of restoration - something I don't think I will do.  I regret selling the Globe two-dome tank cars that I had a few years ago.  Have not found any more anywhere.  HO needs a two-dome tank car.  The metal box cars and reefers were interesting too.  I still have the NYC Pacemaker box car that I built as a teen modeler.  Hugh T. Guillaume

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 10/28/2013 8:05 AM, mguill1224@... wrote:
I regret selling the Globe two-dome tank cars that I had a few years ago.  Have not found any more anywhere.  HO needs a two-dome tank car.

    I have a brass 2-dome tank and I just don't remember who made it.  Was a no box Ebay purchase long ago.  Think it was Sunset but don't remember.  It seems to be correct for size (8K?) and I put a picture with it, SHPX 84.  Most details seem correct except for the rivets, picture shows two rows in center and model has four.
    As to the Globe cars.  Seem to remember that these were actually accurate cars which is probably why you can't find any.  Ebay used to have some and they went for high prices.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

john.allyn@...

Jon, I think your tanker was a Sunset PRR tank car.  I had one and sold it.

I also have a Globe.  The sheet metal tank is excellent.  Extremely good rivet detail.  Castings are what you'd expect off of a 1949 model.  Rebuilding the coupler pockets was an interesting engineering project.  Trucks had fallen victim to zinc disease but probably weren't worth saving.  Mine cost (in 2012)
around $50 but I think that it was worth it.

John B. Allyn

I regret selling the Globe two-dome tank cars that I had a few years ago.  Have not found any more anywhere.  HO needs a two-dome tank car.

    I have a brass 2-dome tank and I just don't remember who made it.  Was a no box Ebay purchase long ago.  Think it was Sunset but don't remember.  It seems to be correct for size (8K?) and I put a picture with it, SHPX 84.  Most details seem correct except for the rivets, picture shows two rows in center and model has four.
    As to the Globe cars.  Seem to remember that these were actually accurate cars which is probably why you can't find any.  Ebay used to have some and they went for high prices.

-- Jon Miller For me time stopped in 1941 Digitrax--Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User NMRA Life member #2623 Member SFRH&MS

Tony Thompson

     I believe Soho did a brass two-dome tank car also, with elbow safety valves.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 10/28/2013 10:35 AM, Tony Thompson wrote:

     I believe Soho did a brass two-dome tank car also, with elbow safety valves.

    Probably a Sunset as no elbow valves.  Looking in Ed's book on page 43 is another of the cars but numbered 91.  They are ICC-103s.  To bad about the incorrect rivets as otherwise they are nice looking cars.  Numbering 84 to 91 means there were at least 8 of them?????  With the correct lettering it's at least a stand-in.  Number 91 was for printers ink, maybe of use for Tony? :-D

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Tim O'Connor

Tony

Yes, I have 2-dome and 1-dome Sohos from my dad's collection.

They are 'simplified' (to be kind). The tank sits on the center sill,
there is no saddle, and no bolster. I think the 2-dome is oversize, a
10k (more or less). The platforms are pseudo-GATC style. And the elbows
are funky too. On the other hand they are brass, and will stand up to
handling better than the super-detailed plastic stuff.

What was the name of that vendor who makes beautiful lost wax elbows?
If I recall they were discussed on the espee list?

Tim O'

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Yes, I have 2-dome and 1-dome Sohos from my dad's collection.

They are 'simplified' (to be kind). The tank sits on the center sill,
there is no saddle, and no bolster. I think the 2-dome is oversize, a
10k (more or less). The platforms are pseudo-GATC style. And the elbows
are funky too. On the other hand they are brass, and will stand up to
handling better than the super-detailed plastic stuff.

What was the name of that vendor who makes beautiful lost wax elbows?
If I recall they were discussed on the espee list?

   Owl Mountain Models. And yes, they are beautiful.

On 10/28/2013 10:31 AM, john.allyn@... wrote:
Jon, I think your tanker was a Sunset PRR tank car.  I had one and sold it.

    Actually, after a review of Ed's other AC&F book, it appear to more closely resemble the NATX 6201 on page 82.  The sheet design (three sheets) as opposed to the SHPX (2 sheets?) design.  Where Sunset got the 2 extra row of rivets, for the dividers, I don't know.
    I believe someone had good decals for NATX but have forgotten who.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941