From: STMFC@... [STMFC@...] on behalf of richtownsend@... [richtownsend@...]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2013 7:59 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Red Devil Coal Loader

Red Devil Coal Loaders sometimes were used to load steam era freight cars, as well as to load steam era locomotive tenders with coal hauled in steam era freight cars. I am looking for steam era diagrams of Red Devil Coal Loaders or steam era advertising or other promotional materials plainly showing what a Red Devil Coal Loader looked like.  Any suggestions?  Google comes up with nothing.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

william darnaby

Overland Models imported these in brass about 30 years ago.  I have one installed on my layout.  You might look on ebay.

Bill Darnaby

Red Devil Coal Loaders sometimes were used to load steam era freight cars, as well as to load steam era locomotive tenders with coal hauled in steam era freight cars. I am looking for steam era diagrams of Red Devil Coal Loaders or steam era advertising or other promotional materials plainly showing what a Red Devil Coal Loader looked like.  Any suggestions?  Google comes up with nothing.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Roland Levin

Hi Richard

Red Devil coal loaders were used in both Alamosa and Antonito to load steam engines. They did not have the same construction. You can see some differences between the two if you compare photos. I have not seen any drawings for any of the two but there is lots of photos available through Internet.

This is a link to one of the photos:

http://narrowgaugememories.com/index.php/Rio-Grande-in-the-60s/alamosatochama/DRGWalareddevil950

Regards

Roland Levin

Stockholm, Sweden

http://hem.bredband.net/drgw/

http://www.usms.se

Red Devil Coal Loaders sometimes were used to load steam era freight cars, as well as to load steam era locomotive tenders with coal hauled in steam era freight cars. I am looking for steam era diagrams of Red Devil Coal Loaders or steam era advertising or other promotional materials plainly showing what a Red Devil Coal Loader looked like.  Any suggestions?  Google comes up with nothing.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Don <riverman_vt@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce F. Smith" <smithbf@...> wrote:

Richard,

A simple Google search with "red devil coal loader" generates a number of photos of these loaders, including a partial diagram as well as some conversations on other forums. That in turn indicates that "no two were the same" a phenomenon I have also observed with Fairbanks Morse and other similar coal loaders. It would therefore be useful for you to specify in more detail exactly what you are looking for.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL