Red Devil Coal Loader

Richard Townsend

Red Devil Coal Loaders sometimes were used to load steam era freight cars, as well as to load steam era locomotive tenders with coal hauled in steam era freight cars. I am looking for steam era diagrams of Red Devil Coal Loaders or steam era advertising or other promotional materials plainly showing what a Red Devil Coal Loader looked like.  Any suggestions?  Google comes up with nothing.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Bruce Smith

Richard,

A simple Google search with "red devil coal loader" generates a number of photos of these loaders, including a partial diagram as well as some conversations on other forums.  That in turn indicates that "no two were the same" a phenomenon I have also observed with Fairbanks Morse and other similar coal loaders.  It would therefore be useful for you to specify in more detail exactly what you are looking for.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: STMFC@... [STMFC@...] on behalf of richtownsend@... [richtownsend@...]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2013 7:59 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Red Devil Coal Loader

Red Devil Coal Loaders sometimes were used to load steam era freight cars, as well as to load steam era locomotive tenders with coal hauled in steam era freight cars. I am looking for steam era diagrams of Red Devil Coal Loaders or steam era advertising or other promotional materials plainly showing what a Red Devil Coal Loader looked like.  Any suggestions?  Google comes up with nothing.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

william darnaby

Overland Models imported these in brass about 30 years ago.  I have one installed on my layout.  You might look on ebay.

Bill Darnaby

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of richtownsend@...

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Roland Levin

Hi Richard

Red Devil coal loaders were used in both Alamosa and Antonito to load steam engines. They did not have the same construction. You can see some differences between the two if you compare photos. I have not seen any drawings for any of the two but there is lots of photos available through Internet.

This is a link to one of the photos:

http://narrowgaugememories.com/index.php/Rio-Grande-in-the-60s/alamosatochama/DRGWalareddevil950

Regards

Roland Levin

Stockholm, Sweden

http://hem.bredband.net/drgw/

http://www.usms.se

Från: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] För richtownsend@...
Skickat: den 29 oktober 2013 01:59
Till: STMFC@...
Ämne: [STMFC] Red Devil Coal Loader

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Don <riverman_vt@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce F. Smith" <smithbf@...> wrote:

Richard,

A simple Google search with "red devil coal loader" generates a number of photos of these loaders, including a partial diagram as well as some conversations on other forums. That in turn indicates that "no two were the same" a phenomenon I have also observed with Fairbanks Morse and other similar coal loaders. It would therefore be useful for you to specify in more detail exactly what you are looking for.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com

Red Devil Coal Loaders sometimes were used to load steam era freight cars, as well as to load steam era locomotive tenders with coal hauled in steam era freight cars. I am looking for steam era diagrams of Red Devil Coal Loaders or steam era advertising or other promotional materials plainly showing what a Red Devil Coal Loader looked like. Any suggestions? Google comes up with nothing.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Not so sure about "no two were the same", Bruce. I have two of the Overland Models R.D. coal loaders because they look almost exactly like that used by the Boston & Maine (you know, that railroad that Mike Brock never heard of until he saw a photo of a B&M car on Sherman Hill) at their small Woodsville, NH roundhouse and two track
shop. It is just the thing for smaller terminals and could well be used as Rich Townsend is suggesting. From what has been seen I suspect the Woodsville Red Devil Loader was a "standard" design but
that many may have been "customized" to some extent.

Cordially, Don Valentine

np328

asychis@...

Overland did indeed import a Red Devil coal loader, but it is only one of many different types.  I had to scratch build mine for Bush, Illinois, since it seems to be one of a kind.

Jerry Michels

Richard Townsend

Well, to be really precise, I really would like a photo or drawing of the Red Devil on the Colorado & Southern in Fort Collins, Colorado.  I have found nothing useful at the Colorado Railroad Museum (although that does not mean there isn't anything useful in this regard there: I just didn't find it).  I have some photos with the Red Devil hazily in the background, or largely obscured by a locomotive.  With this specificity failure, I want to be able to show, generically, what a Red Devil looked like.  That's why I asked about promotional material, as I suspect they might have a more or less generic photo or drawing. That partial diagram looks like it could be useful if it were an entire diagram, but it isn't.  This is for a steam era history of the C&S between Denver and Cheyenne.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Mon, Oct 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Red Devil Coal Loader

Richard,

A simple Google search with "red devil coal loader" generates a number of photos of these loaders, including a partial diagram as well as some conversations on other forums.  That in turn indicates that "no two were the same" a phenomenon I have also observed with Fairbanks Morse and other similar coal loaders.  It would therefore be useful for you to specify in more detail exactly what you are looking for.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

bierglaeser@...

Richard,

I, too, have been looking for useful modeling information on the Red Devil coalers and have found nothing.   I've gone through hundreds of issues of Railway Age, Railway Mechanical Engineer and the like.  No luck!  I surely hope you come up with a new search idea that bears fruit.

Gene Green 

---In STMFC@..., <stmfc@...> wrote:

Well, to be really precise, I really would like a photo or drawing of the Red Devil on the Colorado & Southern in Fort Collins, Colorado.  I have found nothing useful at the Colorado Railroad Museum (although that does not mean there isn't anything useful in this regard there: I just didn't find it).  I have some photos with the Red Devil hazily in the background, or largely obscured by a locomotive.  With this specificity failure, I want to be able to show, generically, what a Red Devil looked like.  That's why I asked about promotional material, as I suspect they might have a more or less generic photo or drawing. That partial diagram looks like it could be useful if it were an entire diagram, but it isn't.  This is for a steam era history of the C&S between Denver and Cheyenne.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

To: STMFC <STMFC@...>
Sent: Mon, Oct 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Red Devil Coal Loader

Richard,

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Richard Townsend

Gene,

You just saved me a trip to the University of Oregon Library.  I was thinking the RMEs would be likely to have advertisements for Red Devil Coal Loaders.  Did you check the ad indices, or did you focus on the editorial contents? Any idea of the name of the company that made them?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Sent: Tue, Oct 29, 2013 3:17 pm
Subject: RE: Re: [STMFC] Red Devil Coal Loader

Richard,
I, too, have been looking for useful modeling information on the Red Devil coalers and have found nothing.   I've gone through hundreds of issues of Railway Age, Railway Mechanical Engineer and the like.  No luck!  I surely hope you come up with a new search idea that bears fruit.
Gene Green 

drgwrail

Rich:

I think there is a Red Devil brocure in the CO RR Musuem Library.

Will search and get back to you.

Chuck yungkurth

Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Red Devil Coal Loader

Gene,

You just saved me a trip to the University of Oregon Library.  I was thinking the RMEs would be likely to have advertisements for Red Devil Coal Loaders.  Did you check the ad indices, or did you focus on the editorial contents? Any idea of the name of the company that made them?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Richard,
I, too, have been looking for useful modeling information on the Red Devil coalers and have found nothing.   I&apos;ve gone through hundreds of issues of Railway Age, Railway Mechanical Engineer and the like.  No luck!  I surely hope you come up with a new search idea that bears fruit.
Gene Green 

nick.gully@...

http://eadsrv.denverlibrary.org/sdx/pl/toc.xsp?id=WH512_d0e154020&qid=sdx_q0
&fmt=text&idtoc=WH512-pleadetoc&base=fa&n=1&ss=true&as=true&ai=collection-ca
t|

Apparently the Denver Public Library in their archive of D&RGW plans has structural drawings from 1946 of a Red Devil coal loader produced by Ross, White Engineers who made them under that brand name.

-Nick Gully

---In stmfc@..., <richtownsend@...> wrote:

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Douglas Harding

Here’s a link to a discussion regarding the Red Devil Coal Loader, which includes the following information:

Ross and White Company of Chicago was one of the engineering and construction companies that designed and sold locomotive coaling and ash handling plants (Roberts and Schaefer, and Ogle Const. Co. were others--all located in Chicago).

R&W sold the "Red Devil Engine Coaler", which was a heavier and more permanent version of the typical retail coal dealer's conveyor hoist (and R&W's competition had their own versions of the Red Devil). It was suited for modernizing smaller terminals where the massive 150-500 ton concrete coal docks were overkill, due to only a few locos being coaled daily.

At the high end, the Red Devil had a pull-down coal chute ("gate" as they were called) like the larger coal docks. The lower end was in a shallow concrete bin located under a slightly raised track, so that a coal car could dump directly onto the lower end of the conveyor. Pulling down the coal chute activated the drive motor and started the flow of coal up the conveyor into the tender. A simple, neat rig. Most of these replaced locomotive cranes with clamshells, or hand loading of tenders. Western Maryland Scenic Rwy. has rigged up something very similar at their Ridgely Yard.

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1618

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

bierglaeser@...

Richard,

I haven't been able to travel for the last few years  so I buy magazines on eBay and go through them.  Great thing about the individual magazines is that all the ads are still there while pages that are only ads on both sides are excluded from the Simmons-Boardman bound volumes.

I can send you a list of the magazines I've gone through but that should be off list.

I have the AFE for the M&StL's purchase of a Red Devil coaler and figured I'd find everything I needed in that file.  Ha!  I can tell you the cost and that's about it.

Gene Green

Gene,

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Richard,
Gene Green 

Jared Harper

I have two pictures and plans for the Red Devil coal loader.  Would you like me to send you copies.  E-mail me at harperandbrown@....

Jared Harper

Richard,

I haven't been able to travel for the last few years  so I buy magazines on eBay and go through them.  Great thing about the individual magazines is that all the ads are still there while pages that are only ads on both sides are excluded from the Simmons-Boardman bound volumes.

I can send you a list of the magazines I've gone through but that should be off list.

I have the AFE for the M&StL's purchase of a Red Devil coaler and figured I'd find everything I needed in that file.  Ha!  I can tell you the cost and that's about it.

Gene Green

Gene,

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Richard,
Gene Green