Westerfield kits for sale

teu6500

My interests have changed, and my time is occupied with other things, so it's clear that I won't be building this collection of Westerfield 1920s-era kits any time soon. So I'm offering them for sale at a reduced price so that maybe someone will give them more attention.

These are the older flat-cast kits, not the newer kits with one-piece bodies.

10 kits for $100, plus postage for USPS medium flat rate box. List is below.

I don't visit this group frequently, so if you're interested, please contact me by email.

Bob Edmonson

The kits:

1302 XL Box Car PRR Union Line

1351 Mod. XL Box Car Pennsylvania

1401 BX-Z Box Car Santa Fe

1601 HP Hopper Car Norfolk & Western

1701 B-50-1 Box Car Southern Pacific

1718 B-50-2 Box Saftey Appl. Chicago & Alton

2406 PSC Hopper, Pittsburg & Buffalo

4310 6' Door 36' Fowler Box GTR 107100 Series (1918)

4452 40' Fowler Box Car MODN CStPM&O (Omaha)

7312 B-50-9 Box Car 1913 PDN Chicago & Alton

teu6500

CORRECTION - Shipping will be USPS Large flat rate box. $16.95 to U.S. destinations, higher elsewhere.

Bob E

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "teu6500" <oldmancat@...> wrote:

[...]

Kits have been sold. Thanks for your prompt reply.

[...]

Bob – Please be sure the kits are urethane rather than polyester.  If the latter, better to just chuck them. – Al Westerfield

[...]

Jared Harper

Al,

And, how do we tell?

Jared Harper

Athens, GA

---In STMFC@..., <westerfieldalfred@...> wrote:

[...]

Andy Miller

Al,

Are the polyester kits the dark grey ones? In which case they are self-chucking. I am surprised if any of those have survived this long. The rotation of the earth is enough to cause them to disintegrate ;-)

Andy Miller

[...]

rwitt_2000

Al,

So remind me what happens to the polyester ones?

Bob Witt

---In STMFC@..., <harperandbrown@...> wrote:

[...]

Benjamin Hom

Al Westerfield wrote:
"Please be sure the kits are urethane rather than polyester."

Jared Harper asked:
"And, how do we tell?"

1. Castings are dark grey and have much less "flex".  (Note that hopper slope sheets and PRR Class H21/B&O Class W-1 hopper assemblies are still cast in polyester.)

2. The box label has the Elk Grove Village address.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Bob Witt asked:
"So remind me what happens to the polyester ones?"

They're brittle and harder to work.  That said, they will still build into a nice model.  For example, John Johnson's NYC rebuilt boxcar in the January 2010 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman was kitbashed from an early run Westerfield kit.

Just don't drop the model.  During my first sea tour, I built a PRR Class H21 using one of the early kits.  I didn't pack things away on my desk - the ship took a roll, and the model hit the deck and shattered into a bunch of pieces.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

I have a 50 ft GN single sheathed box car I built from the early castings.
The floor broke into two pieces but did so cleanly, and I repaired it, and
the car has held up perfectly well for 20 years. The castings are brittle
and can be tough to drill (I think I broke a bunch of #80 bits, but it was
one of my first resin kits.)

Tim O'Connor

Bob Witt asked:
"So remind me what happens to the polyester ones?"

They're brittle and harder to work. That said, they will still build into a nice model. For example, John Johnson's NYC rebuilt boxcar in the January 2010 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman was kitbashed from an early run Westerfield kit.

Just don't drop the model. During my first sea tour, I built a PRR Class H21 using one of the early kits. I didn't pack things away on my desk - the ship took a roll, and the model hit the deck and shattered into a bunch of pieces.

Ben Hom

Jared – Aside from looking at the castings (light gray vs. dark brownish green), the  box is a giveaway.  If the address is Elk Grove Village, it’s polyester for sure.  If the stock number is below 3800 it could be either – check the castings.  We made an attempt to remove all polyester kits from the market by offering to exchange hobby shop stock for free.  We did not offer to do this for modelers, but we did substitute castings if asked.  We stopped doing that when we went into semi-retirement.  From time to time I check eBay to see if polyester kits are still offered.  When I see them I contact the seller that he should warn potential bidders.

With the returns from hobby shops we offered them for $5.00 apiece at swap meets with the understanding that they were non-returnable.  Eventually we just saved the OEM parts and tossed the rest.

As I’ve explained before, polyester was the best choice when we started out; appropriate urethane wasn’t readily available.  It was cheap and easy on the rubber molds.  Except for the smell, environment wasn’t a problem.  The urethane was 5 times as expensive, went through molds quickly and required a dry environment.  But it was better for the product and modeler, so we switched. – Al Westerfield

Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 10:26 PM
Subject: RE: Re: [STMFC] Westerfield kits for sale

Al,

And, how do we tell?

Jared Harper

Athens, GA

[...]

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

I have a 50 ft GN single sheathed box car I built from the early castings. The floor broke into two pieces but did so cleanly, and I repaired it, and the car has held up perfectly well for 20 years. The castings are brittle and can be tough to drill (I think I broke a bunch of #80 bits, but it was one of my first resin kits.)

      I had an experience very similar to what Tim describes. I built the Westerfield UP auto car, and it fell to the floor )a short distance from my staging at the time) and broke into about five pieces. Someone once described the dark gray resin as "glass brittle" and that's a good term. As is the case with glass or most ceramics, you can easily glue everything back together if no pieces are lost or too small to deal with. I reassembled my UP car with CA and you would have to search to find the hairline of the crack. And like Tim's model, my car is still fine today. So the "super brittle" material isn't ALL bad.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history