DT&I 16000-16199 after rebuilding

Eric Lombard

Hello All,

Can anyone steer me to a photo of one of these cars after being rebuilt to 8-9 side door?

Back story -- In 1953 the DT&I received 200 cars from the ATSF. It appears from ORER data and bits and pieces of information in other sources that In 1955-56 131 were rebuilt to IH 10-3 and 8-9 side door opening without renumbering.  An additional 64 were rebuilt to IH 10-3 keeping the original 14-6 door and renumbered 16200-16263.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL

Ray Thibaut

The book "Wabash/Nickel Plate/DT&I Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment" published by Morning Sun written by James Kinkaid has images of four of these cars.16081 is shown in the middle of page 97. 16190-H is shown on the bottom of page 97. 16191-H is shown on the top of page 98. The end doors of 16192-H is shown in the middle of page 98.
Ray Thibaut
teabow1958@...

Eric Lombard

Thanks for alerting me to that reference, Ray.

Those photos show two of the three configurations for these box cars (as received with 11+ ft inside height with 14-6 door; as rebuilt to 10-3 inside height with 14-6 door). Still looking for a photo as rebuilt 10-3 inside height with 8-9 door opening. Anyone?

Eric Lombard

Homewood, IL