Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:45 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Opening End Door Boxcars

Fellas,

I am curious what roads (other than SP) had auto boxcars with opening end doors.   I was searching on google and while I saw model images, I was not able to source any prototypical information or articles.   Any and all relevant info would be appreciated.    I also noticed lionel did various road names; curious if they are actually a scale model as their ps cars are...

With thanks,
Brad Andonian

Brian Carlson

Brad I would say most. PRR Erie CV and LV and ones I have photos of.
Brian Carlson

On Nov 19, 2013, at 10:45 AM, Brad Andonian <cereshill@...> wrote:

Fellas,

I am curious what roads (other than SP) had auto boxcars with opening end doors.   I was searching on google and while I saw model images, I was not able to source any prototypical information or articles.   Any and all relevant info would be appreciated.    I also noticed lionel did various road names; curious if they are actually a scale model as their ps cars are...

With thanks,
Brad Andonian

Eric Lombard

Brad,

I just did a quick filter on my box car data and came up with 495 series with auto end doors. It is indeed "a long list." This dump includes new cars built with the doors as well as renumbered cars and includes cars with doors functional and doors fixed in place. It includes all such cars built between 1910 and 1944 and those rebuilt during that time and after. No distinction was made for construction and so wood, composite and all-steel cars are included. If there are some particular parameters that interest you I can narrow the output but am glad to send you the whole dump off-list if you want it.

Eric Lombard

Homewood, IL

---In STMFC@..., <prrk41361@...> wrote:

Brad I would say most. PRR Erie CV and LV and ones I have photos of.
Brian Carlson

On Nov 19, 2013, at 10:45 AM, Brad Andonian <cereshill@...> wrote:

Fellas,

I am curious what roads (other than SP) had auto boxcars with opening end doors.   I was searching on google and while I saw model images, I was not able to source any prototypical information or articles.   Any and all relevant info would be appreciated.    I also noticed lionel did various road names; curious if they are actually a scale model as their ps cars are...

With thanks,
Brad Andonian

Dave Sarther

Brad,

The CB&Q had auto cars with end doors.  If you have Volume 12 of the RPCYC a few photos of these cars can be referenced in an article co-authored by Bat Masterson, Hol Wagner and Al Hoffman of the BRHS along with a photo of their unique extended height "Bomber Box Cars".

Later,  Dave Sarther    Tucson, AZ