HO Scale Freight Car Truck Document Update

Richard Hendrickson

My online illustrated survey of HO scale plain journal freight car trucks has been updated.  For the latest version, go to:

or for an easier URL, courtesy of the online Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine:

As always, comments and corrections are welcome.

Richard Hendrickson

Maxine Cooper <burgerbits20@...>

Hi:I wish to thank mr. Hendrickson for his work on freight car trucks. I am puzzled by his lack of interest in roller bearing trucks. While most roller bearings were used in high speed passenger , locomotives (including steam engines) and tenders, increasing use for freight service could be seen. The 1925 car builders cyc. Has a photo of an arch bar truck with roller bearings. GN express box cars in the mid 40s used roller bearings. I don't know which model trucks with roller bearings would be suitable for our time period, but it would be useful to find out. Marty Cooper

To: STMFC@... <STMFC@...>;
Subject: [STMFC] HO Scale Freight Car Truck Document Update
Sent: Sat, Nov 23, 2013 7:34:36 PM

My online illustrated survey of HO scale plain journal freight car trucks has been updated.  For the latest version, go to:

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

Marty, there's very little choice in RB trucks for 1960 and earlier.

Athearn and MDC in the 1960's produced 50 ton RB truck models with Hyatt
(convex caps) roller bearings and National C-1 style sideframes. They are
very crude to say the least.

Athearn made a 70 ton Timken RB truck with, I think, Barber sideframes,
and this was their standard "roller bearing" truck for 40 years more or
less. I think Atlas also makes a Timken RB Barber 70 ton truck.

Kadee and Kato make Timken RB ASF A-3 70 ton trucks The Kato has rotating
RB caps which suck, IMO. (They perform poorly and the caps fall off.)

That's about it, except for some express trucks and 3-axle trucks out there.

No one to my knowledge has made an HO scale Timken 50 ton RB truck with Barber
or ASF sideframes. Photos of such trucks can be found in the 1961 CBC and drawings
for ASF A-3, Barber Stabilized S-2-A-0, National C-1 and Chrysler FR-5E sideframes
for roller bearings can be found on pages 980-981 of the 1953 CBC.

Richard's lack of interest is understandable. Very few freight cars before 1950
were ordered with roller bearings, and they were mostly in restricted service.

Tim O'Connor

Hi:I wish to thank mr. Hendrickson for his work on freight car trucks. I am puzzled by his lack of interest in roller bearing trucks. While most roller bearings were used in high speed passenger , locomotives (including steam engines) and tenders, increasing use for freight service could be seen. The 1925 car builders cyc. Has a photo of an arch bar truck with roller bearings. GN express box cars in the mid 40s used roller bearings. I don't know which model trucks with roller bearings would be suitable for our time period, but it would be useful to find out. Marty Cooper

Bill Welch

The only group freight cars in revenue service during the period of this list that I know of were the 1000 plus 50-ft. Mechanical reefers operated by the FGE/WFE/BRE System built from 1953 through 1957.

Bill Welch

---In STMFC@..., <burgerbits20@...> wrote:

To: STMFC@... <STMFC@...>;
Subject: [STMFC] HO Scale Freight Car Truck Document Update
Sent: Sat, Nov 23, 2013 7:34:36 PM

Richard Hendrickson

Guy Wilber

Bill wrote:
The only group freight cars in revenue service during the period of this list that I know of were the 1000 plus 50-ft. Mechanical reefers operated by the FGE/WFE/BRE System built from 1953 through 1957.
Bill,

From the AAR's Committee on Journal Roller Bearings 1959 Report.  As of December 12, 1958, cars equipped with roller bearings; FGE~1,809, WFE~160 and BRE~100 reefers and 200 box cars.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Richard Hendrickson

On Nov 24, 2013, at 10:12 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

or ASF sideframes. Photos of such trucks can be found in the 1961 CBC and drawings
for ASF A-3, Barber Stabilized S-2-A-0, National C-1 and Chrysler FR-5E sideframes

Thank you, Tim, both for explaining why there are no RB trucks in my truck document and for listing the very few HO scale RB trucks that represent prototypes in use before 1960.  In the truck clinic that I have presented at several prototype modelers’ meetings (and will present again at Prototype Rails in Cocoa Beacvh FL in January) I do mention and show illustrations of a number of early roller bearing trucks, including the ‘20s RB arch bars, but they’re not in my survey of HO scale trucks because at present there really are no set-of-the-art early RB trucks in HO scale.

Richard Hendrickson

martincooper@...

----- Original Message -----
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 19:21:37 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [STMFC] HO Scale Freight Car Truck Document Update

Hi:thanks for your response. Since I model GN in 1947 a RB truck for the express box cars is of interest. Marty Cooper

Thank you, Tim, both for explaining why there are no RB trucks in my truck document and for listing the very few HO scale RB trucks that represent prototypes in use before 1960.  In the truck clinic that I have presented at several prototype modelers’ meetings (and will present again at Prototype Rails in Cocoa Beacvh FL in January) I do mention and show illustrations of a number of early roller bearing trucks, including the ‘20s RB arch bars, but they’re not in my survey of HO scale trucks because at present there really are no set-of-the-art early RB trucks in HO scale.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

There were certainly FAR MORE cars than FGE/WFE/BRE with roller bearings before 1961,
which is the period of the list (1900-1960).

Some cars with roller bearings had cast journal boxes and LOOKED like plain bearing cars.

Some cars you would not expect to, got roller bearings. For example, the Great Northern
and CGW purchased coal hoppers in 1957 with roller bearing trucks.

Tim O'Connor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill,

From the AAR's Committee on Journal Roller Bearings 1959 Report.  As of December 12, 1958, cars equipped with roller bearings; FGE~1,809, WFE~160 and BRE~100 reefers and 200 box cars.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

martincooper@...

----- Original Message -----
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 19:21:37 -0000 (UTC)

Hi again: not to be critical , but a lack of interest leads to a lack of manufacturer's response. The GN and a few others used dalman- Andrews trucks, too few for manufacturers interest. So here I sit trying to cut up Andrews trucks and glue little pieces to dalman trucks. Alas! Marty Cooper

Richard Hendrickson

Guy Wilber

Tim wrote:

"There were certainly FAR MORE cars than FGE/WFE/BRE with roller bearings before 1961,
which is the period of the list (1900-1960)."

December 12, 1958 tally was; 31,865 railroad owned cars and 6,555 private cars equipped with roller bearings.   The total of 38,420 cars represented less than 2% of all freight cars in 1958.  As of June, 1959, an additional 12,000 plus cars had been ordered equipped with roller bearings.     

"Some cars you would not expect to, got roller bearings. For example, the Great Northern
and CGW purchased coal hoppers in 1957 with roller bearing trucks."

Hopper cars dominated the railroad owned car types with a total of 13,145.  GN had 797 and CGW had 175 hoppers with roller bearings.  ACL was number one with a total of 3,580 followed by WM with 2,454. 

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Richard Townsend

The closest you will find for the GN express box cars is Central Valley T-57.  At least that is the closest I have found, and what I use.  They show up from time to time on eBay and at swap meets.
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Cc: STMFC
Sent: Sun, Nov 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi:thanks for your response. Since I model GN in 1947 a RB truck for the express box cars is of interest. Marty Cooper

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

Thanks Guy -- Any chance you could just list the top 20 railroads with roller bearing cars in 1959 or 1960?

Hopper cars were 29% of the railroad owned fleet in 1960. Your numbers show they were 34% of cars with
roller bearings. So hopper cars were slightly more likely to have them -- with a lot of help from the ACL! :-)

Tim O'Connor

Hopper cars dominated the railroad owned car types with a total of 13,145.  GN had 797 and CGW had 175 hoppers with roller bearings.  ACL was number one with a total of 3,580 followed by WM with 2,454. 

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Tim O'Connor

Richard

The T-57 closely resembles the National C-1 with capped roller bearings shown on
page 981 of the 1953 Car Builder's Cyc -- except that I think it represents the 50 ton
version (5 ft 6 in wheelbase) while the drawing shows a 70 ton truck (5 ft 8 in wheelbase)

Tim O'Connor

The closest you will find for the GN express box cars is Central Valley T-57.  At least that is the closest I have found, and what I use.
They show up from time to time on eBay and at swap meets.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Andy Sperandeo

Regarding roller bearing installations within the period of this list, 
the Union Pacific equipped a large group of S-40-10 class rebuilt stock cars with roller bearings in 1947 for fast Day Live Stock (symbol DLS) trains between Salt Lake City and Los Angeles. The rollers were installed in conventional journal boxes, but the box lids were painted yellow to mark the special equipment.

So long,

Andy

Richard Townsend

I agree that they aren't ASF Ride Control, but except for the spring seat area their spotting features are close to what the GN used.  I am referring especially to the Timken-style capped roller bearings and the jaws that hold the journals.  They are far from perfect for this application but they are far better than anything else I have found.
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Sun, Nov 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Richard

The T-57 closely resembles the National C-1 with capped roller bearings shown on
page 981 of the 1953 Car Builder's Cyc -- except that I think it represents the 50 ton
version (5 ft 6 in wheelbase) while the drawing shows a 70 ton truck (5 ft 8 in wheelbase)

Tim O'Connor

The closest you will find for the GN express box cars is Central Valley T-57.  At least that is the closest I have found, and what I use.
They show up from time to time on eBay and at swap meets.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Curt Fortenberry

The C&O had a pioneering set of 1000 3-bay offset side hoppers delivered in 1949 with Timken roller bearings; 79000 series.  Bob Chapman had an article on modeling one in the April 1994 Mainline Modeler, plus  Al Kresse's article in a 2008 issue of the C&O HS magazine and his book on C&O hoppers.  I had to create my version of the truck by modifying a Kadee truck with Custom Finishing Timken caps.  Crude but it gets the point across.

Curt Fortenberry

Michael Palmieri

In Vol. 3 of Model Railroader's INDUSTRIES ALONG THE TRACKS there is a photo of a GN covered hopper from the 1950's.  The car has trucks with journal box lids, but there is lettering on the car which states that it is equipped with roller bearings.  Unlike the UP cars Andy mentioned, it doesn't look like there was anything on the trucks to indicate that they had roller bearings.  Unfortunately, I can't locate my copy of the publication, so I can't provide the car number; but how common was the use of journal box lids with roller bearings?

Mike Palmieri - Fort Worth, Texas

Tim O'Connor

Mike

It was not uncommon. OTOH, don't assume that painted journal box lids means
that the car has roller bearings. I've seen photos of cars with special types of
journal lubricators for plain bearings, with painted journal box lids.

The GN cars you're thinking of were the 71000 series ACF 1958's. They spelled out
"Timken Roller Bearing" on the car -- I think Champ made decals.

Tim O'Connor

In Vol. 3 of Model Railroader's INDUSTRIES ALONG THE TRACKS there is a photo of a GN covered hopper from the 1950's. The car has trucks with journal box lids, but there is lettering on the car which states that it is equipped with roller bearings. Unlike the UP cars Andy mentioned, it doesn't look like there was anything on the trucks to indicate that they had roller bearings. Unfortunately, I can't locate my copy of the publication, so I can't provide the car number; but how common was the use of journal box lids with roller bearings?

Mike Palmieri - Fort Worth, Texas

Guy Wilber

Tim asked:

"Any chance you could just list the top 20 railroads with roller bearing cars in 1959 or 1960?"

The only chart I have is the December/1958 copy.

1)  ACL~7057
2)  UP~2974
3)  WM~2552
4)  Southern~2303
5)  B&M~1965
6)  Trailer-Train~1874
7)  FGE~1809
8)  C&O~1653
9)  GN~1477
10)  SP~1440
11)  SF~1370
12)  PFE~1000
13)  NP~978
14)  CP~895
15)  L&N~697
16)  SL-SF~610
17)  CB&Q~558
18)  SAL~500
19)  REA~500
20)  NH~433

Guy WIlber
Reno, Nevada 

Brian Carlson

Just to chime in, while it may seem odd that coal hoppers received roller bearings, remember that when they were new, they were experimental, and cost  a little more. Tests were often carried out on cars that tended to stay n home rails. There was a better chance of that with hopper and similarly UP’s stock cars.  Why go to the added expense of installing roller bearings on boxcars when they could wander off line for years, and you receive none of the reduced maintenance benefit during that time.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga, NY