From: Richard Hendrickson ;
To: STMFC@... <STMFC@...>;
Subject: [STMFC] HO Scale Freight Car Truck Document Update
Sent: Sat, Nov 23, 2013 7:34:36 PM

My online illustrated survey of HO scale plain journal freight car trucks has been updated.  For the latest version, go to:

or for an easier URL, courtesy of the online Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine:

As always, comments and corrections are welcome.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

Marty, there's very little choice in RB trucks for 1960 and earlier.

Athearn and MDC in the 1960's produced 50 ton RB truck models with Hyatt
(convex caps) roller bearings and National C-1 style sideframes. They are
very crude to say the least.

Athearn made a 70 ton Timken RB truck with, I think, Barber sideframes,
and this was their standard "roller bearing" truck for 40 years more or
less. I think Atlas also makes a Timken RB Barber 70 ton truck.

Kadee and Kato make Timken RB ASF A-3 70 ton trucks The Kato has rotating
RB caps which suck, IMO. (They perform poorly and the caps fall off.)

That's about it, except for some express trucks and 3-axle trucks out there.

No one to my knowledge has made an HO scale Timken 50 ton RB truck with Barber
or ASF sideframes. Photos of such trucks can be found in the 1961 CBC and drawings
for ASF A-3, Barber Stabilized S-2-A-0, National C-1 and Chrysler FR-5E sideframes
for roller bearings can be found on pages 980-981 of the 1953 CBC.

Richard's lack of interest is understandable. Very few freight cars before 1950
were ordered with roller bearings, and they were mostly in restricted service.

Tim O'Connor

Hi:I wish to thank mr. Hendrickson for his work on freight car trucks. I am puzzled by his lack of interest in roller bearing trucks. While most roller bearings were used in high speed passenger , locomotives (including steam engines) and tenders, increasing use for freight service could be seen. The 1925 car builders cyc. Has a photo of an arch bar truck with roller bearings. GN express box cars in the mid 40s used roller bearings. I don't know which model trucks with roller bearings would be suitable for our time period, but it would be useful to find out. Marty Cooper

Bill Welch

The only group freight cars in revenue service during the period of this list that I know of were the 1000 plus 50-ft. Mechanical reefers operated by the FGE/WFE/BRE System built from 1953 through 1957.

Bill Welch

---In STMFC@..., <burgerbits20@...> wrote:

Hi:I wish to thank mr. Hendrickson for his work on freight car trucks. I am puzzled by his lack of interest in roller bearing trucks. While most roller bearings were used in high speed passenger , locomotives (including steam engines) and tenders, increasing use for freight service could be seen. The 1925 car builders cyc. Has a photo of an arch bar truck with roller bearings. GN express box cars in the mid 40s used roller bearings. I don't know which model trucks with roller bearings would be suitable for our time period, but it would be useful to find out. Marty Cooper

My online illustrated survey of HO scale plain journal freight car trucks has been updated.  For the latest version, go to:

or for an easier URL, courtesy of the online Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine:

As always, comments and corrections are welcome.

Richard Hendrickson

Guy Wilber

Bill wrote:
The only group freight cars in revenue service during the period of this list that I know of were the 1000 plus 50-ft. Mechanical reefers operated by the FGE/WFE/BRE System built from 1953 through 1957.
Bill,

From the AAR's Committee on Journal Roller Bearings 1959 Report.  As of December 12, 1958, cars equipped with roller bearings; FGE~1,809, WFE~160 and BRE~100 reefers and 200 box cars.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Richard Hendrickson

On Nov 24, 2013, at 10:12 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Tim, both for explaining why there are no RB trucks in my truck document and for listing the very few HO scale RB trucks that represent prototypes in use before 1960.  In the truck clinic that I have presented at several prototype modelers’ meetings (and will present again at Prototype Rails in Cocoa Beacvh FL in January) I do mention and show illustrations of a number of early roller bearing trucks, including the ‘20s RB arch bars, but they’re not in my survey of HO scale trucks because at present there really are no set-of-the-art early RB trucks in HO scale.

Richard Hendrickson

martincooper@...