From: ed_mines@... ;
To: ;
Subject: [STMFC] canopy cement
Sent: Tue, Nov 26, 2013 10:04:55 PM

Haven't found it for sale on the internet. Who makes it?

Ed Mines

Benjamin Hom

Ed Mines asked:
"Haven't found it for sale on the internet. Who makes it?"

This might help (and was mentioned by Tony Thompson further upthread):
http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-few-words-in-praise-of-canopy-glue.html

Ben Hom

no1detail@...

Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst, IL sells it.  They will ship any where.  Call them 630 832-4908.

Steve Cerka

---In STMFC@..., <b.hom@...> wrote:

Ed Mines asked:
"Haven't found it for sale on the internet. Who makes it?"

This might help (and was mentioned by Tony Thompson further upthread):
http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-few-words-in-praise-of-canopy-glue.html

Ben Hom

Dave Sarther

Ed,

Mr. Foscale has been selling this glue through his on-line store for several years now.  If you are an HO scale modeler you might want to spend some time looking through his craftsman kits.  They are super kits.

I have bought canopy glue through FOS as well as at a local hobby store that sells radio controlled cars and planes.  So you may also be able to find it locally depending upon where you live.

Later,  Dave Sarther    Tucson, AZ

Haven't found it for sale on the internet. Who makes it?

Ed Mines

Patrick Wade

I use Microscale Industries Micro Kristal Clear. A 1oz bottle was for $3.89 at my local hobby shop.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM, <no1detail@...> wrote:

Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst, IL sells it.  They will ship any where.  Call them 630 832-4908.

Steve Cerka

---In STMFC@..., wrote:

Ed Mines asked:
"Haven't found it for sale on the internet. Who makes it?"

This might help (and was mentioned by Tony Thompson further upthread):
http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-few-words-in-praise-of-canopy-glue.html

Ben Hom

Jim Hayes

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Patrick Wade <patwadesb@...> wrote:

I use Microscale Industries Micro Kristal Clear. A 1oz bottle was for $3.89 at my local hobby shop.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM, <no1detail@...> wrote:

Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst, IL sells it.  They will ship any where.  Call them 630 832-4908.

Steve Cerka

---In STMFC@..., wrote:

Ed Mines asked:
"Haven't found it for sale on the internet. Who makes it?"

This might help (and was mentioned by Tony Thompson further upthread):
http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-few-words-in-praise-of-canopy-glue.html

Ben Hom

Tony Thompson

Pat Wade wrote:

I use Microscale Industries Micro Kristal Clear. A 1oz bottle was for $3.89 at my local hobby shop.

      This may be a similar adhesive, but when I tested it, it is not as strong as canopy glue. Microscale urges its use for model windows, which I can only get to work decently for rather small windows (some HO automobiles).

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

    As I buy DCC stuff I noticed that Litchfield Station sells a "Formula 560" canopy glue (made by Pacer).  It's 2 oz for 3.69.  Got some but haven't used it yet.
    Reading the bottle it contains vinyl acetate polymer emulsion, whatever that is!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Tim O'Connor

I ordered some yesterday after Tony posted the blog item... This stuff
better be the greatest thing since sliced bread, after all the gushing praise
I have heard here! :-)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006O8EVM/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Tim O'

North Model Railroad Supplies <nmrs@...>

Pacer are the manufacturers of Canopy Glue.

The stock number is PT-56

And as both Tony and Rob McLear said, it works.

Cheers

Dave North

midrly

For attaching running boards to plastic model STMFC rooves, I use solvent.  Place the running board on the roof, applying solvent to the running board brackets with a small brush. I apply more solvent to these after a few minutes.  And more yet, the grid of the running board will hold a fair bit of solvent.

With the running board supports softened a bit by solvent, turn the carbody upside down and push the running board against a flat sheet of glass.  Hold the carbody for a few minutes to allow the solvent-covered styrene supports to push themselves through the running board grid.

Turn the model back over and allow ti to cure for a few days.

Steve Lucas.

---In STMFC@..., <nmrs@...> wrote:

Pacer are the manufacturers of Canopy Glue.

The stock number is PT-56

And as both Tony and Rob McLear said, it works.

Cheers

Dave North

North Model Railroad Supplies <nmrs@...>

Hi Steve,

The added benefit I have found with Canopy Glue is that it dries flexible and provides a flexible membrane between the styrene and etched metal.

This helps to deal with the different expansion/contraction rates of the two materials when temperature changes occur.

This is certainly an improvement over the super glue used by the manufacturers, which lacks both the flexibility and sheer strength to deal the different expansion rates.

Your method sounds like it would provide a much stronger bond.

Cheers

Dave North

Tony Thompson

Dave North wrote:

The added benefit I have found with Canopy Glue is that it dries flexible and provides a flexible membrane between the styrene and etched metal.

This helps to deal with the different expansion/contraction rates of the two materials when temperature changes occur.

This is certainly an improvement over the super glue used by the manufacturers, which lacks both the flexibility and sheer strength to deal the different expansion rates.

Your method sounds like it would provide a much stronger bond.

     But "stronger" is not what you want. Thermal expansion and contraction forces are REALLY big. You want flexible, which is why canopy cement is better than CA (CA is far sronger but NOT flexible).

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Rob & Bev Manley

Hey gang. I thought I’d chime in as I’m using it on my F&C Wabash Gon.

I have been using Aileens craft glue for fabrics for my running boards and similar etched parts. It is also a white glue with flexibility similar to canopy glue. The aircraft modelers turned me on to this years ago and I can attest to it’s strength over the years. Available at craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels it comes in different versions. I have been using the Gold bottle and it is much cheaper than hobbyshop stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you that inspire me to be a more accurate modeler.

Sincerely,

Rob Manley

Midwest Mod-U-Trak

"Better modeling through personal embarassment"