Steel grid roofwalks where they don't belong

mopacfirst

I have a couple of IM 40' boxcars on the bench now. Bought them a couple of years ago, and so I was going to upgrade the couplers. These are Burlington 32xxx XM-32 cars, so as I was checking the Burlington Bulletin issue that covers these cars, I noticed that the prototypes had wood roofwalks which were apparently never replaced with steel.

What does the model have? A metal grid running board. Usually, if the running board is wrong, it's the other way around because it seems to be easier to make a wood roofwalk out of plastic like the rest of the model than try to attach a metal one.

Has anyone tried to remove one of these? These walks look decent enough, so I'd like to salvage them and re-mount them on something where they belong, so I'm wondering if they would come off in one piece and decently straight.

Ron Merrick

Rich C

Ron, Since the XM-32 covered a lot of box cars over a fairly long period of time, the best bet would be to change a few digits as the Post-War XM-32f's had steel running boards.

Rich Christie

On Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:43 PM, mopacfirst wrote:

[...]

Right, but not these. These are pre-war cars (actually 1942) with 5-5 round corner Dreadnought ends with rectangular Murphy roof. In model terms, this is the 10'6" modified AAR box.

About the only other thing I need to do to this car is fill or remove the poling pockets. Not sure about the trucks yet, since the existing IM truck looks OK but the Tahoe truck might be closer.

Sorry for not making this clear.

Ron Merrick