2014 SHAKE N TAKE Scope of project and sign up begins

Greg Martin

Hey Yuze Gize,

This is the official announcement for the 2014 Prototype Rails SHAKE N TAKE for our 14th annual event and in the words of our own Mont Switzer a "Bash at the Beach".

This year with the help from Des Plaines Hobbies/Centraila Shops our project will be the  1937 rebuilt USRA Double Sheathed CNW/CMO 40-foot boxcars. The ends will be a composite (resin) from rebuilt Tichy ends (thanks again to Don Tichy) and reproduced by Aaron Gjermundson as well as a drill jig for the hand rails and a fishbelly center sill and crossbearers.

The donated kit comes from Des Plaines Hobbies/Centraila Shops and will include the correct IMWX 40-forty-foot boxcar with the Viking Roof.

Archer Fine Rivets will contribute the rivet decals that will be needed to recreate a car for the CNW/CMO.

5th Avenue Car Shops is working on the CNW/CCMO white decals.

Seeing how the ends will be useful for another rebuilt for Rock Island as well as the Ft. Dodge, Des Moines & Southern car SHAKE N TAKE will make available the compete resin parts to reproduce these cars as "aftermarket."

We will also offer in the month following the event (read as mid February) we will offer ends for the Santa Fe's BX28 and BX31 rebuild programs from their owned fleet of USRA Double Sheathed cars.

Jon Greedy will open with the documentation of the CNW/CMO and Rock Island and Ft.D.D.M,& S. cars and Richard Hendrickson will focus on the Santa Fe rebuilt cars.

The Aftermarket parts will have a separate sign up sheet.

I will post the SIGN UP Sheet and AFTERMARKET Sheet separately.

Thank You,

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

Gene Semon <mopac1@...>

Please add my name to the Shake N Take 14th annual event.

Thanx,

Gene Semon

[...]

No virus found in this message.

william darnaby

Greg,

How is this car different than the 64.xx Sunshine cars?

Thanks,

Bill Darnaby

[...]

Gene,

3rd Stand by.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 11/30/2013 6:37:17 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, mopac1@... writes:

[...]

Bill,

I am not familiar with the Sunshine cars so I couldn't answer that. It may not be.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 11/30/2013 6:43:27 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, wdarnaby@... writes:

[...]

Greg, Hopefully someone will make a decal set for the CMO yellow & green version.

Rich Christie

ps - looking forward to this one. I already have a DPH Viking roof in my spares

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 9:03 PM, "tgregmrtn@..." wrote:

[...]

Rich,

Not likely as we have gone over this offline and matching the green and making it opaque enough and the same for the yellow is just not in the cards.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 9:03 PM, "tgregmrtn@..." <tgregmrtn@...> wrote:

[...]

The Sunshine kits covered CNW cars 65000-67418 (even only) and CMO 37100-37498 (even only).  The CMO cars were rebuilt again into the 1658-1844 series and painted green and yellow.

Bill Darnaby

[...]

Very same cars. We will not be doing the Green and Yellow CMO (2nd) rebuilds.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 11/30/2013 7:16:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, wdarnaby@... writes:

[...]

Bill, I had a few of those in the "early" Sunshine kits, that I never built. The resin was so bad that they basically disintegrated, so I salvaged a few parts and tossed them.

Rich

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 9:16 PM, William Darnaby wrote:

[...]

Not to mention two of Sunshine's earliest kits, 2.2 (box car red)
and 2.4 (green & yellow).

Still, I am interested in the Santa Fe and especially the FDDM&S cars,
so I look forward to parts and decals that will enable me to model those.

Tim O'Connor

  > The Sunshine kits covered CNW cars 65000-67418 (even only) and
    CMO 37100-37498 (even only). The CMO cars were rebuilt again into
    the 1658-1844 series and painted green and yellow.
    Bill Darnaby

This is the official announcement for the 2014 Prototype Rails SHAKE N TAKE for our 14th annual event and in the words of our own Mont Switzer a "Bash at the Beach".
This year with the help from Des Plaines Hobbies/Centraila Shops our project will be the  1937 rebuilt USRA Double Sheathed CNW/CMO 40-foot boxcars. The ends will be a composite (resin) from rebuilt Tichy ends (thanks again to Don Tichy) and reproduced by Aaron Gjermundson as well as a drill jig for the hand rails and a fishbelly center sill and crossbearers.
The donated kit comes from Des Plaines Hobbies/Centraila Shops and will include the correct IMWX 40-forty-foot boxcar with the Viking Roof.
Archer Fine Rivets will contribute the rivet decals that will be needed to recreate a car for the CNW/CMO.
5th Avenue Car Shops is working on the CNW/CCMO white decals.
Seeing how the ends will be useful for another rebuilt for Rock Island as well as the Ft. Dodge, Des Moines & Southern car SHAKE N TAKE will make available the compete resin parts to reproduce these cars as "aftermarket."
We will also offer in the month following the event (read as mid February) we will offer ends for the Santa Fe's BX28 and BX31 rebuild programs from their owned fleet of USRA Double Sheathed cars.
Jon Greedy will open with the documentation of the CNW/CMO and Rock Island and Ft.D.D.M,& S. cars and Richard Hendrickson will focus on the Santa Fe rebuilt cars.
The Aftermarket parts will have a separate sign up sheet.
I will post the SIGN UP Sheet and AFTERMARKET Sheet separately.

Thank You,
Greg Martin
Norman Maclean

mopacfirst

Photo suggestions?

Not in the CNW Guide volume 2 and not in rr-fallenflags.

Oh, there's a CNW 65000 car in rr-fallenflags, but not the right one.

I built, almost to the point of being ready for paint, one of the Sunshine kits. The Viking roof was awful, to say the least. I set it aside, and I actually have a spare DPH roof to put on it, so I'd like to resume this after having it sit on the shelf for ten or more years.

I don't know about the fit, but I should use this car as a guinea pig because there are a number of Sunshine kits I have where the roof is the weak point of the kit detail-wise. It never was easy to get those two-piece roofs to look right, in my opinion, and I have plenty of plastic roofs that would work. But I'm also not sure of the era, since a quick check of ORERs shows that the CNW cars may have been dwindling in numbers in 1955 and essentially all gone in 1965.

Ron Merrick

--- In STMFC@..., "William Darnaby" <wdarnaby@...> wrote:

[...]

_____

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com/> protection is active.

---

mopacfirst

As is often the case, if you think about it longer you can answer some of your own questions.

This car kit was reissued. So the first one, which I have, is listed in sunshinekets.com as (Discontinued - very early kit) and the flyer is sun02a.pdf. Some history is given, and a photo of the model but not a prototype photo.

The second issue is also listed, and its flyer is sun64g.pdf. This time there is a photo of the prototype, although not good quality.

But, new questions. Were these cars equipped with vertical staff handbrake when first rebuilt? For CNW in 1937, it would seem likely. Did they keep same? The CMO cars were noted for being rebuilt again, and having the brakestaff replaced with a power handbrake.

Were any of these CNW cars sold to RI, as mentioned in the flyer? When? And did they get full repaint, rather than patch jobs?

Ron Merrick

--- In STMFC@..., "mopacfirst" <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

[...]

Benjamin Hom

Ron Merrick asked:
"Were any of these CNW [65000-seires] cars sold to RI, as mentioned in the flyer?  When?  And did they get full repaint, rather than patch jobs?"

Yes, but leased, not sold.  500 cars were sold to US Railway leasing and leased to Rock Island in 1955 in the RI 38000-series and received full Rock Island paint jobs.  A number of cars were also leased to the Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific in the 1960s.

Do not confuse the ex-CNW cars with the Rock Island's own 134000-series rebuilt USRA DS boxcars, which were rebuilt in 1936 and 1940 and featured 10 ft IH, 5/B/5/5 Murphy Ends, 8 Panel Sides, rectangular paneled Roof, 6 ft Youngstown Door.  Some of these cars were leased to FtDDM&S in 1960.

Ben Hom

Greg Martin

Ron,

I have amassed quiet a few from several private sources for the CNW/CMO, Rock Island, FtDDM&S, and then of course the Santa Fe cars.

Are you coming to Cocoa Beach? The handout will have some the SHAKE N TAKE Yahoo Group will have lots more after they are uploaded.

Everyone who is planing on attending Shake N Take this January please try to pre-register so we have a show of strength to the folks in Registration who get uncomfortable this time of year. Tell them SHAKE N TAKE sent you and your doing your part.

Thanks,

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

--- In STMFC@..., "William Darnaby" wrote:

> The Sunshine kits covered CNW cars 65000-67418 (even only) and CMO 37100-37498 (even only). The CMO cars were rebuilt again into the 1658-1844 series and painted green and yellow.
>

> Bill Darnaby
>

> Bill,
>

> I am not familiar with the Sunshine cars so I couldn't answer that. It may not be.
>

> Greg Martin
>

> Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through it.
> Norman Maclean
>

> In a message dated 11/30/2013 6:43:27 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, wdarnaby@... writes:
>

> Greg,
>
> How is this car different than the 64.xx Sunshine cars?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill Darnaby

Clark Propst

Ron,
As was pointed out to me a couple weeks ago. Everything you need to know about those cars is in RPCyc 24.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

mopacfirst

Well, now that you mention it.....pages 104-106.

Several other cars done by Sunshine, some not done, and the KCS rebuild that might have been done by SHAKE N TAKE are also there.

At least you were nicer about reminding me about something I once knew than my wife is.

Ron Merrick

--- In STMFC@..., <cepropst@...> wrote:

Ron,
As was pointed out to me a couple weeks ago. Everything you need to know about those cars is in RPCyc 24.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Scott H. Haycock

What was the rationale behind even (or odd) only car numbering?

Scott Haycock
ent

  > The Sunshine kits covered CNW cars 65000-67418 (even only) and
    CMO 37100-37498 (even only). The CMO cars were rebuilt again into
    the 1658-1844 series and painted green and yellow.
    Bill Darnaby

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 5, 2013, at 1:04 AM, Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

What was the rationale behind even (or odd) only car numbering?

Scott, this keeps coming up on the list and, since no one else has responded to your query, I’ll answer it yet again.

This numbering system was practiced on a number of (mostly midwestern) RRs - e.g., C&NW, M&StL, Soo,CGW - and acted as an error checking device in the days when paperwork was actually on paper and was entered by human (and therefore fallible) car clerks.  Typically, box cars had even numbers, open top cars odd numbers, and if a number didn’t correspond with the car type, it was obviously wrong.

Richard Hendrickson

Norm Buckhart

Richard thank you for that.  It makes sense, however I had not previously known that.  Norm Buckhart