CRIX Dri Protecto cars

Steve and Barb Hile

Please excuse the cross posting.

I seem to recall seeing drawings for these mid to late 50’s era insulated boxcars, one of which still exists in sad shape at the Illinois Railway Museum.  I thought that it was in MM, but a search in the MR index comes up empty.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Steve Hile

Tim O'Connor

Steve, which ones? The composite double sheathed cars, or the all-steel cars?

I really like these cars and Hubert Mask once said he was thinking about making decals
for them. I can't recall ever seeing a drawing of either car. Perhaps Abacus (the stillborn resin
kit maker) had some information?

Tim O'Connor

Please excuse the cross posting.

I seem to recall seeing drawings for these mid to late 50�s era insulated boxcars, one of which still exists in sad shape at the Illinois Railway Museum.  I thought that it was in MM, but a search in the MR index comes up empty.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Steve Hile

hubert mask

Yes I am still thinking about it but what car can we out it on. Hubert Mask.

On Dec 7, 2013, at 4:04 PM, "Tim O'Connor" <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Steve, which ones? The composite double sheathed cars, or the all-steel cars?

I really like these cars and Hubert Mask once said he was thinking about making decals
for them. I can't recall ever seeing a drawing of either car. Perhaps Abacus (the stillborn resin
kit maker) had some information?

Tim O'Connor

Please excuse the cross posting.

I seem to recall seeing drawings for these mid to late 50’s era insulated boxcars, one of which still exists in sad shape at the Illinois Railway Museum.  I thought that it was in MM, but a search in the MR index comes up empty.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Steve Hile

Douglas Harding

Accurail did a Rock Island car with CRIX Dri Protecto lettering, car #2257. Item 8514 announced Oct/Nov 2013

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/8500/8514.jpg

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Steve and Barb Hile

This is the lettering scheme I was thinking about, but on a rebuilt (in 1960, apparently) car in the 205xx series.  The car at IRM can be seen at

http://www.irm.org/gallery/CRIX20519/aaa

(not a terribly good angle.)

Frankly, I was presuming that this could be an interesting kitbash, with the partial wood sides and a fishbelly underframe.

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. There were some all steel CRIX cars, too, although I am not sure how they match up with the Accurail car.

Accurail did a Rock Island car with CRIX Dri Protecto lettering, car #2257. Item 8514 announced Oct/Nov 2013

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/8500/8514.jpg

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

caboose9792@...

I think that may have been part of the set I gave Bob K for the IRM website. If not I got identical shots,in higher resalution. The lettering on the other side was just about gone. Anyhow, what was the box under the door in the linked photo?
Mark Rickert

In a message dated 12/7/2013 5:20:16 P.M. Central Standard Time, shile@... writes:

This is the lettering scheme I was thinking about, but on a rebuilt (in 1960, apparently) car in the 205xx series.  The car at IRM can be seen at

http://www.irm.org/gallery/CRIX20519/aaa

(not a terribly good angle.)

Frankly, I was presuming that this could be an interesting kitbash, with the partial wood sides and a fishbelly underframe.

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. There were some all steel CRIX cars, too, although I am not sure how they match up with the Accurail car.

Accurail did a Rock Island car with CRIX Dri Protecto lettering, car #2257. Item 8514 announced Oct/Nov 2013

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/8500/8514.jpg

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Tim O'Connor

Good grief. That's an ice refrigerator car!! Did Accurail even look
at a prototype photo?

Tim O'Connor

Accurail did a Rock Island car with CRIX Dri Protecto lettering, car #2257.
Item 8514 announced Oct/Nov 2013
http://www.accurail.com/accurail/ART/8500/8514.jpg

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Douglas Harding

Tim, this may have been what Accurail had in mind.

http://www.pbase.com/rocksosalla/image/132223810/original

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Tim O'Connor

exactly. you see any ice hatches on that?

Accurail makes a 40 foot plug door insulated box car.

Whatever inspired them to model a box car with an ice reefer?

Tim, this may have been what Accurail had in mind.
http://www.pbase.com/rocksosalla/image/132223810/original

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Douglas Harding

Tim, good question and one I cannot answer. Steve was asking about insulated boxcars, I can not imagine where Accurail got the idea it was a reefer.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org