branchline blueprint reefers

arnoldrandy5115@...

I have several Branchline Blueprint kits, they are wood sided reefers with fishbelly underframes, and I was wondering what prototype these represent. They have seperate side panels, which currently are painted and decaled in bill board schemes for various brand name products.
I also would like to ask again how to find the Scalecoat II weathering colors that someone said were available on ebay. I have done several searches on ebay for Scalcoat paint and I have never seen any colors like those mentioned..

Benjamin Hom

Randy Arnold asked:
"I have several Branchline Blueprint kits, they are wood sided reefers with fishbelly underframes, and I was wondering what prototype these represent."

AC&F reefers built between 1927-1931, mostly for URTCo and NWX.  See the linked article by Ed Hawkins in the May 2000 issue of Railmodel Journal for more information.
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/261/19468/may-2000-page-14

Ben Hom

David Sieber

Randy,

Other references (unfortunately not online), all discussing the prototype in detail and the last also featuring modeling several cars with Branchline reefers, are:

Railway Prototype Cyclopedia Vol 4, pg 52-70, " NMW 40ft AC&F Reefers," Pat Wider

Railway Prototype Cyclopedia Vol 5, pg 42-58, "URTCo and WRX 40ft AC&F Reefers," Pat Wider

Railroad Model Craftsman, Apr 06, "Essential Freight Cars: 29, American Car & Foundry's 1920s wood refrigerator cars," Ted Culotta

Hope this helps, Dave Sieber, Reno  NV

Michael Aufderheide

Has anyone used Branchline's reefers as a kitbash into another prototype than NWX/URTX?.  I'm thinking along the lines of the Bruce Smith, Greg Martin and Bill Welch conversions of Accurail's cars.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Bill Welch

I am going to use one of my undecorated Branchline AC&F kits to model the FGE group of cars purchased from the New Haven. I only have a photo of one of NYNH&H cars in express service-published at some point in their HS magazine-but have every reason to believe the freight reefers were pretty much the same as they were built at the same time. Although I do not have any photos in FGE service, I do plan to put the Accurail Hutchins reefer roof on it. I don't remember what other changes will be needed.

Bill Welch

al_brown03

Yes and no. With some underframe modifications, the Branchline reefer can be converted without much trouble into the NADX/Hormel cars of the 2011 Shake & Take project, as they were in the '40s with the original roof; but those cars came from NWX.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Tim O'Connor

Al Westerfield produced both Type II and Type III ACF reefers
(and subtypes) and his kits come with historical background too.
So that's another good source for some prototype info. I think
the Branchline cars are Type III but I haven't checked...

Tim O'Connor

AC&F reefers built between 1927-1931, mostly for URTCo and NWX. See the linked article by Ed Hawkins in the May 2000 issue of Railmodel Journal for more information.
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/261/19468/may-2000-page-14

Ben Hom

randy arnold

Bill
I did one of your kit bashes as described in Prototype Railroad
Modeling I believe it was vol I, great fun. I looked at the Accurail
web site and see that they are not offering roofs as separate detail
parts, which on of there kits would one have to buy to get the correct
roof?

--
Best Regards
Randy

Benjamin Hom

Randy Arnold asked:
"I looked at the Accurail web site and see that they are not offering roofs as separate detail parts, which on of there kits would one have to buy to get the correct roof?"

Randy, the roofs are integrally cast into one-piece car bodies and are NOT separate parts.  Your best bet is buy a complete kit as the carbodies are not listed separately.  Besides, you get a nice underframe and trucks for other kitbashes.

Ben Hom

Bill Welch

Yes unfortunately there is no way to purchase just the core body structure itself, formally at least it would appear. I would suggest writing them and see if they would sell you the body core. To make it worth their while, maybe ask to purchase two or three.

Alternatively, you might see if InterMountain will sell you their FGE Hutchins roof. Personally I think it is a wimpy version of the roof but compromises are often what we have to do.

Bill Welch

Michael Aufderheide

Randy,

Andrew Dahm of Westerfield Models posted a few weeks ago that he offers Hutchins roofs as a separate part. I would give you a STMFC message number to refer to, but I cannot figure out how to search the messages with this new Yee-haw system.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Jack Burgess <jack@...>

It is message 119500.

Jack Burgess

Randy,

Andrew Dahm of Westerfield Models posted a few weeks ago that he offers Hutchins roofs as a separate part. I would give you a STMFC message number to refer to, but I cannot figure out how to search the messages with this new Yee-haw system.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Bill Welch

Careful, the Hutchins roofs used on boxcars was different than those of the FGE/WFE/BRE System in that the roof panels between the ribs did not have the corrugation pressed in as on the boxcar version. My theory is that the System purchased only the roof ribs but fabricated their own roof panels.

Also the Hutchins roof on the Westerfield ex-PRR R7 FGE reefers needs to have this rib removed. I alerted Al W. to this after I received my kits but I am not sure he changed his patterns. Also the roof was only rebuilt between the hatches with the original Pennsy hatches remaining in place. Dimensionally they are different than those found on other FGE/WFE/BRE cars.

Bill Welch