Merchandise Service X26c

Bill Lane

I am looking for a Merchandise Service X26c  prototype photo to add to my collection. http://www.ebay.com/itm/321270565805 My friend that made this car said they do exist.

Please reply directly if you have a photo. bill@...

Thank You,
Bill Lane

Modeling the Mighty Pennsy & PRSL in 1957 in S Scale since 1987

See my finished models at:
http://www.lanestrains.com
Look at what has been made in PRR in S Scale!

See my layout progress at:

http://www.lanestrains.com/My_Layout.htm

Custom Train Parts Design
http://www.lanestrains.com/SolidWorks_Modeling.htm

PRR Builders Photos Bought, Sold & Traded
(Trading is MUCH preferred)
http://www.lanestrains.com/PRRphotos.xls

***Join the PRR T&HS***
The other members are not ALL like me!
http://www.prrths.com
http://www.lanestrains.com/PRRTHS_Application.pdf

Join the Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines Historical Society
It's FREE to join! http://www.prslhs.com
Preserving The Memory Of The PRSL

Benjamin Hom

Bill Lane wrote:
"I am looking for a Merchandise Service X26c prototype photo to add to my collection. http://www.ebay.com/itm/321270565805 My friend that made this car said they do exist."

Your friend overeggs the pudding a bit.  Only two Class X26C boxcars (105136 and 107324) were equipped to handle LCL freight, and there is no evidence to date, either photo or written documentation, that these were ever painted in MS1.  It's highly likely they were as the other classes so equipped received MS1, so if your search turns something up, it would be great.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Bill

Your friend may also have mistaken an X29b for an X26C. There were
at least two X29b's (28049, 30901) painted in MS1. Still it's funny
that the model has the right number -- 107324. How'd your friend
know that, if he has no photo?

Tim O'Connor

Bill Lane wrote:
"I am looking for a Merchandise Service X26c prototype photo to add to my collection. http://www.ebay.com/itm/321270565805 My friend that made this car said they do exist."

Your friend overeggs the pudding a bit. Only two Class X26C boxcars (105136 and 107324) were equipped to handle LCL freight, and there is no evidence to date, either photo or written documentation, that these were ever painted in MS1. It's highly likely they were as the other classes so equipped received MS1, so if your search turns something up, it would be great.

Ben Hom

Greg Martin

Tim,

Ben's information has been posted on the PRR-Modeling site several times. I once thought I had a shot of an X26c in MS1 but by the number Ben set me Square. We would love to see that photo(s) if one exists.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 12/10/2013 7:56:05 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, timboconnor@... writes:

Bill

Your friend may also have mistaken an X29b for an X26C. There were
at least two X29b's (28049, 30901) painted in MS1. Still it's funny
that the model has the right number -- 107324. How'd your friend
know that, if he has no photo?

Tim O'Connor

>Bill Lane wrote:
>"I am looking for a Merchandise Service X26c prototype photo to add to my collection. http://www.ebay.com/itm/321270565805 My friend that made this car said they do exist."
>
>Your friend overeggs the pudding a bit. Only two Class X26C boxcars (105136 and 107324) were equipped to handle LCL freight, and there is no evidence to date, either photo or written documentation, that these were ever painted in MS1. It's highly likely they were as the other classes so equipped received MS1, so if your search turns something up, it would be great.
>
>Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Your friend may also have mistaken an X29b for an X26C. There were
at least two X29b's (28049, 30901) painted in MS1. Still it's funny
that the model has the right number -- 107324. How'd your friend
know that, if he has no photo?"

The Class X26C boxcars equipped for LCL service are called out in the notes section of ther ORER - that's how we know 105136 and 107324 are the cars.  Additionally, Rich Burg identified these cars in a letter speculating that they might have been painted in MS1 that was published in a Schleicher "Freight Car Feedback" column in an early issue of Railmodel Journal.  BTW, there were more than two Class X29B painted in MS1 - see my article in the October 2004 issue of The Keystone Modeler listing documented cars in the three Merchandise Service paint variations.  Stranger things have happened, but I sincerely doubt there was any photo.

Back to the S Helper Service model.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321270565805
Upon further review, this model is in the rare MS3 scheme with Shadow Keystone, photo documented on only four cars - 3 Class X29 and one Class X41C boxcars.  I really have my doubts that one of the two Class X26C boxcars received this scheme - it would be a rarity among rarities.  Additionally, the model itself is the root of evil - it's the first iteration of the so called "USRA Rebuilt Boxcar" that is the Athearn gon of boxcar models, first offered by S Helper Service and copied by Atlas and spread to the other scales like a poorly modeled cancer.

Ben Hom