CofG PS-2 2-Bay Covered Hoppers (Revisited)

Scaler164@...

Looking for a few good reference photos to use for modeling some CofG PS2 2-Bay Covered Hoppers from the following series :

     CG 960-999 (blt 1960, Pullman)
     CG 1000-1199 (blt 195760, Pullman)
     CG 1475-1499 (blt 1956, Pullman)

I have found that the S-Helper Service (S scale) model of this car appears to be an out-of-box EXACT (or darn near so) representation of these cars (based on the only 4 photos I have), so it looks like a quick and easy job with near perfect results.  I already have decals for them, so I'm good and ready to go.

Click the link below for an image of the model :

Would like to know what other roads (especially southeastern roads) had these cars in the same configuration as this CofG car (round hatches, etc)...?

Who says S scale has nothing to offer?!?   >wink<

John Degnan
Scaler164@...

John Evans

John,

Have you tried the Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery?  freight.railfan.ca

They have builders photos of CofG 970, 1000, and 1475.

Hope this helps.

John Evans
Easton, PA

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:20 AM, "Scaler164@..." wrote:

[...]

O Fenton Wells

John, I have some I took in 1983 on a visit to Saluda NC.  I'll send them off line.
fenton wells

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

hubert mask

Fenton, would you mind sending me those photos also.  I have a decal set of the CofG 1000. 1970 rebuild.
 Looking for additional information for other series of the cars.

Hubert Mask

To: STMFC@...
From: srrfan1401@...
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:26:32 -0500
Subject: Re: [STMFC] CofG PS-2 2-Bay Covered Hoppers (Revisited)

[...]

Hubert I would be glad to but I would like to have you do the 1954 cu ft
decals as well. I'll send those photos and lettering diagrams in a
separate email. Will you do the C of G in the original lettering? Some of
us are OLD and model the 1950's.
Here you go;

------------------------------
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: srrfan1401@gmail.com
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:26:32 -0500

www.trainweb.org/seaboard/TEMP/SHSPS2CoveredHopper.jpg

Scaler164@comcast.net
Scaler187@comcast.net

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

hubert mask

Sure if I can read all the data off the photo. You know I like to get as much as 95 percent of the data detail correct or preferably 100. Thanks. Hubert

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: srrfan1401@gmail.com
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:26:32 -0500

[...]

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

O Fenton Wells

I'm with you let me see what I can do.

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

Todd Horton

The CGRHS worked with Microscale to produce a set for the C of G covered hoppers in the original lettering scheme. They are still available as far as I know.

Todd Horton

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    STMFC-digest@...
    STMFC-fullfeatured@...

O Fenton Wells

Thanks for the input, I'll check it out.
Fenton Wells

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    STMFC-digest@...
    STMFC-fullfeatured@...

Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

Justin May <jmay59@...>

Will you do the C of G in the original lettering? Some of us are OLD and model the 1950's.
Fenton,
There is no need to reinvent the wheel as the Microscale set has all of the variations of the appropriate monogram, four different "THE RIGHT WAY" slogan for both two and three bay covered hoppers with and without center posts, four different reporting marks styles used by the Central, the appropriate dimensional data for the 1958, 2003, and 2893 cuft covered hoppers, several loading stencils for both clay and feed service, caution data for removal of lading, and many different reweigh stations and dates. All in all, there is not much more one could want in the way of as delivered Central of Georgia covered hopper decals, and what Microscale does not offer, Mask Island does for the post-'63 paint schemes. The Microscale Central of Georgia covered hopper and boxcar sets are some of the best Microscale sets to date.

Justin May

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Justin, that has been pointed out to me and is one of the reasons I enjoy this Yahoo group.  I probably should have checked my resources first but failed to do that.  Many eyes are better than two, at least the way mine seem to be connected.
By the way, did these first versions come with "The Right Way" slogan or was that added later?
Thanks to all who replied.
Fenton Wells

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Justin May <jmay59@...> wrote:

> Will you do the C of G in the original lettering? Some of us are
> OLD and model the 1950's.

Fenton,
There is no need to reinvent the wheel as the Microscale set has all
of the variations of the appropriate monogram, four different "THE
RIGHT WAY" slogan for both two and three bay covered hoppers with and
without center posts, four different reporting marks styles used by
the Central, the appropriate dimensional data for the 1958, 2003, and
2893 cuft covered hoppers, several loading stencils for both clay and
feed service, caution data for removal of lading, and many different
reweigh stations and dates. All in all, there is not much more one
could want in the way of as delivered Central of Georgia covered
hopper decals, and what Microscale does not offer, Mask Island does
for the post-'63 paint schemes. The Microscale Central of Georgia
covered hopper and boxcar sets are some of the best Microscale sets to
date.

Justin May

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

Rich C

This is beyond the scope of this groups era, but how about the green lettered scheme started in the 60's, after Southern absorbed it?

Rich Christie

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 1:38 PM, Justin May wrote:

> Will you do the C of G in the original lettering? Some of us are
> OLD and model the 1950's.

Fenton,
There is no need to reinvent the wheel as the Microscale set has all
of the variations of the appropriate monogram, four different "THE
RIGHT WAY" slogan for both two and three bay covered hoppers with and
without center posts, four different reporting marks styles used by
the Central, the appropriate dimensional data for the 1958, 2003, and
2893 cuft covered hoppers, several loading stencils for both clay and
feed service, caution data for removal of lading, and many different
reweigh stations and dates. All in all, there is not much more one
could want in the way of as delivered Central of Georgia covered
hopper decals, and what Microscale does not offer, Mask Island does
for the post-'63 paint schemes. The Microscale Central of Georgia
covered hopper and boxcar sets are some of the best Microscale sets to
date.

Justin May

Scott H. Haycock

Fenton,

See if this has what you need.

Scott Haycock
ent

Thanks Justin, that has been pointed out to me and is one of the reasons I enjoy this Yahoo group.  I probably should have checked my resources first but failed to do that.  Many eyes are better than two, at least the way mine seem to be connected.
By the way, did these first versions come with "The Right Way" slogan or was that added later?
Thanks to all who replied.
Fenton Wells

Scott H. Haycock

I forgot to note that this link is to the N scale set...

The HO set is listed as in stock as well.

Scott Haycock
ent

Fenton,

See if this has what you need.

Scott Haycock
ent

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Scott
Fenton

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

Fenton,

See if this has what you need.

Scott Haycock
ent

Thanks Justin, that has been pointed out to me and is one of the reasons I enjoy this Yahoo group.  I probably should have checked my resources first but failed to do that.  Many eyes are better than two, at least the way mine seem to be connected.
By the way, did these first versions come with "The Right Way" slogan or was that added later?
Thanks to all who replied.
Fenton Wells

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

Justin May <jmay59@...>

By the way, did these first versions come with "The Right Way" slogan or was that added later?

Fenton,
The following series of Central of Georgia two bay covered hoppers were delivered with a monogram only.

1300-1314, built 1940, Pullman Standard
1315-1339, built 1941, GATC
1340-1349, built 1944, ACF
1350-1374, built 1952, ACF
1375-1424, built 1953, Pullman Standard
1425-1474, built 1953, Pullman Standard
1475-1499, built 1956, Pullman Standard

The following series of Central of Georgia two bay covered hoppers were delivered with a monogram and lettered "THE RIGHT WAY".

960-999, built 1960, Pullman Standard
1000-1199, built 1957, Pullman Standard

Justin May

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Justin, so the slogan "The Right Way" wasn't added to the stencil diagrams until 1960?  I don't know the  C of G very well but I thought it was earlier than that, don't know why I felt that way.
Fenton Wells

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Justin May <jmay59@...> wrote:

[...]

The Right Way was added to the first covered hopper series in 1956 when series 1475-1499 were delivered from Pullman Standard. I erred initially when posting the series information as these should be included in the group of painted with monogram and The Right Way slogan.

Justin May

O Fenton Wells

I understand.  So for my layout which is set in Nov of 1952, it would be just the monograms no slogan.
Thanks