CNJ sinlge sheathed box car similar to Accurail

ed_mines

Can anyone lead me to a good photo of a car with a sinlge sheathed end? Anyone have solid data regarding the roofs? Underframes? (was it a fishbelly like the Accurail cars or the Tichy flat car)?

With the abundance of photos of cars with Murphy ends is it possible that the single sheathed ended cars were rebuilt with replacement steel ends?

Anyone have an e-mail address for vic Roseman?

Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...>

CNJ did a lot of end replacements with both Murphy and Hutchins end. The series you mean with a steel framed end is 17000-17499 built by ACF in 1916. The diagrams have a note "Hutchins Dry Lading roof applied for repairs." The original roof was "Chicago Common Sense. 17000-17499 also built by ACF in 1916, but apparently Hutchins all steel roof was original on these. There is no indication than any of these had their ends replaced, however CNJ had some other orders of single sheathed box cars that were built with steel ends. The 1919 CBD has a photo of 17239.

Eric

Can anyone lead me to a good photo of a car with a sinlge sheathed end? Anyone have solid data regarding the roofs? Underframes? (was it a fishbelly like the Accurail cars or the Tichy flat car)?

With the abundance of photos of cars with Murphy ends is it possible that the single sheathed ended cars were rebuilt with replacement steel ends?

Anyone have an e-mail address for vic Roseman?

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 18, 2013, at 1:55 PM, ed_mines@... wrote:

Can anyone lead me to a good photo of a car with a sinlge sheathed end? Anyone have solid data regarding the roofs? Underframes? (was it a fishbelly like the Accurail cars or the Tichy flat car)?
 With the abundance of photos of cars with Murphy ends is it possible that the single sheathed ended cars were rebuilt with replacement steel ends?
Ed, I’m sending you some scans off-list.

Richard Hendrickson

Benjamin Scanlon

hi

please see:

http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/168/12176/february-2003-page-22

third shot here shows what looks to be a car from the CNJ series 17000-17499 or 17500-17599

http://www.gingerb.com/lehigh_gap_station.htm

Bossler's CNJ/LV Color Guide pg 62 shows a car from either of the series (the radial roof was replaced by hutchins peaked roofs on the later series on many cars) but it's not possible to say which as all lettering faded by that time.  car has a 7/7 end by that point. no idea when it got it.

two builders' photos are linked to from the pdf here:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Feaneubauer.ipower.com%2Fc1918.pdf&ei=Q62yUtebJ6Ww7AbP8oGQCg&usg=AFQjCNGGAeUsncR3InFXh2oUqvu5ZJuaJA&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZGU

eaneubauer.ipower.com/c1918.pdf

an end shot of a very similar CB&Q series:

http://www.burlingtonroute.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=12&pid=95#top_display_media

regards,

Benjamin S.

On Dec 18, 2013, at 1:55 PM, ed_mines@... wrote:

Can anyone lead me to a good photo of a car with a sinlge sheathed end? Anyone have solid data regarding the roofs? Underframes? (was it a fishbelly like the Accurail cars or the Tichy flat car)?
 With the abundance of photos of cars with Murphy ends is it possible that the single sheathed ended cars were rebuilt with replacement steel ends?

Eric Neubauer <eaneubauer@...>

Gee, I totally forgot about that demo CNJ photo roster I had up  on my own site. Doh! Looking at the car Craig attributes to 17000-17999 and comparing to the photos of the 17000s, the differences in several small details like the gussets between the side braces and the striker casting makes me question his attribution. It doesn't seem to match any of the other CNJ cars, so perhaps it isn't even a CNJ car at all.

Eric

[...]

Thanks Richard. You are indeed the dean of steam era freight car modelers. Seasons greetings to all.

Ed Mines

Benjamin Scanlon

Hullo Eric

Thanks for your thoughts on this.  For my TT one, I stuck to your photos and the RMJ article.

That said, the car in the Bossler book does look interesting; does anyone have any ideas about its origin if it is not a CNJ car?  It's on pg 63, btw, not pg 62,, and earlier I referred to the second CNJ series as 17500-17*5*99 ; should be 17500-17999.

Benjamin S.