Topics

NP Stock Cars represented by Central Valley kit

Alexander Schneider Jr

I’ve had a CV stock car kit for some time and just got around to examining it. I have heard that it is too wide and that the NPHA offers replacement ends, but I guess I am more in doubt about the sides. The cars have lettering boards reading NORTHERN PACIFIC to the left of the doors and the car number to the right. There is a rectangular lettering board with capacity, load limit and light weight over the right truck, but no board over the left. See http://www.shop.cvmw.com/StockCarKit-1001.htm  This generally conforms to the equipment diagram on the NPHA web site. It also conforms to a photo of #83083 dated 7/13/47 on page 124 of “The Postwar Freight Car Fleet” by Larry Kline and Ted Culotta.

When did the location of reporting marks, number and capacity data over the left truck become mandatory? Are any photos of these cars with such relocated lettering available? If this arrangement was still in use in late 1952 I’m OK, but there is no reason to build an anachronism.

Thanks.

Alex Schneider

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 22, 2013, at 3:17 PM, Alex Schneider <aschneiderjr@...> wrote:

[...]

Alex, the location of reporting marks, numbers, and weight data above the left truck was AAR standard practice but was never mandatory, at least not in the period covered by this list, and the lettering arrangement you describe continued to be used by the NP for many years.  I have a photo of an NP stock car with that lettering arrangement dated 1974.  I’m sending you off-list a scan of a photo taken in October of 1952.

Richard Hendrickson

npin53

Just a couple pointers regarding the brake parts and lumber door included with the central Valley kit.

83250-83499 built in 1930, and 82750-83249 built in 1931-32.  Miner Ideal hand brake and lumber door on A end.

82500-82749 built in 1936, used Ajax brake and had NO lumber door.

Aaron Gjermundson

Alexander Schneider Jr

Richard, thanks for sharing your knowledge. I look forward to the photo.

Alex Schneider

[...]

Andy Harman

At 05:20 PM 12/22/2013 -0800, you wrote:
I have a photo of an NP stock car with that lettering arrangement dated
1974.

Me too. I wasn't into shooting freight cars at the time, but it struck me as unusual and I snapped a Kodachrome - slightly blurred but the number is readable.

Andy

Rob & Bev Manley

Alex,

You would also want the Spring 2006 Volume 25 Issue #1 of the Manistreeter. Our own Ed Ursem covered the correcting of the original kit car extremely well. His 82990 model does not have the lumber door. Mine were originally built when I trusted model manufacturers for accuracy, so I have the lumber doors. Having built 3 of the original kits, I am quite familiar with all of their assembly issues.

Of note I can tell you the ends and sides need to have their beveled edge cleaned up to fit properly. They have a bevel but at the extreme end is a right angle that needs to go. I used a 1” wide nail board to sand the edges and parting lines. You can get the boards from Walgreens or most cosmetic shops. If you look closely on the roof top and underside, you will see a centerline to use in sectioning.

I used cast metal cows for weight. I’ll use sheet lead next time. The Dyna-Models cows cost me $15 back then.  Woodland Scenics tall grass was chopped with a single edge razor to make hay for the floor covering. The usual plastic for metal grabs and 23 years later, PanPastel for the roof and some highlights on the side boards and trucks.

The photos I later found showed various shades of Gray and Oxide Red on the horizontal boards .I duplicated these with glazes of gray and Flat Clear Poly Scale. Hand mixing on a recycled margarine tub lid used as a palette.

I have found photos available on the web including the Fallen Flags site (Jim Sands) and RailPictures.net ( Jeff Terry). Decals were available from Champ and A-Line

Sincerely,

Rob Manley

Midwest Mod-U-Trak

"Better modeling through personal embarassment"

[...]

James SANDIFER

Be careful with the "straw" stuff. Straw was commonly used in cold climates
with hogs, but sand was the most common bedding in stock cars.

Steve Sandifer
12027 Mulholland Drive, Meadows Place, TX 77477
713-376-0684
www.ssandifer.com

[...]

Jared Harper

The CV NP stock car is too wide.  The NP historical society offered parts to narrow the body to scale.

Jared Harper

Athens, GA

---In STMFC@{{emailDomain}}, <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

[...]

Jared,

I already have 4 pairs of ends for the next gen of cars I will build. Eds article shows the narrowing process in great detail with scratch-bashed ends.

[...]

Tom Madden

Ed Ursem made the beautiful patterns for the cast resin correct width ends the NP Society sells. I did the casting until recently, must have done over 1000 pairs, and Aaron will be doing them now. Or will be, as soon as I get off my butt and send him the patterns and submasters.

Tom Madden

Andy Harman

At 07:17 PM 12/23/2013 -0600, you wrote:

I already have 4 pairs of ends for the next gen of cars I will build. Eds article shows the narrowing process in great detail with scratch-bashed ends.
How far off is the CV width? I've been sitting on one of these kits since they were first released, and was never sure what to do with it until someone ID'd my photo as being the CV car - by then I had forgotten I had one. I think I even have the decals somewhere.

Andy

Douglas Harding

My understanding is the CV car is 1’ too wide, designed this way to accommodate the too wide trucks and have the car look right with proper overhang sitting on HO trucks. To narrow the car requires removing a section from both the roof and the floor, and using the new ends. It is not noticeable in a passing train when viewing from the side. Looking down from the top in a string of correct width cars you can see the excess width. And it is also noticeable if you built close clearance structures along your tracks or sidings, ie stockpens.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Guy Wilber

Aaron and all,

Curious if anyone has thoughts as to whether Northern Pacific referred to the end door on their stock cars as a lumber door or a drover's door?

Thanks,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

On Dec 22, 2013, at 7:14 PM, <npin53@...> wrote:

Just a couple pointers regarding the brake parts and lumber door included with the central Valley kit.

83250-83499 built in 1930, and 82750-83249 built in 1931-32.  Miner Ideal hand brake and lumber door on A end.

82500-82749 built in 1936, used Ajax brake and had NO lumber door.

Aaron Gjermundson

Tim O'Connor

Guy

They just called them "end doors". The ORER's also call them "end doors".
http://research.nprha.org/NP%20Stock%20Cars/Stock%20Cars%2040%20Ft.%2083250-83499.jpg

All of the stock car diagrams are here
http://research.nprha.org/NP%20Stock%20Cars/Forms/AllItems.aspx

Tim O'Connor

Aaron and all,

Curious if anyone has thoughts as to whether Northern Pacific referred to the end door on their stock cars as a lumber door or a drover's door?

Thanks,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

James SANDIFER

For those who still have not built their cars, this page may be helpful.

One suggestion: The NP society sells the ends 2 pair for $12.50. However, they require a $20 minimum sale and tack on shipping of course. So one would have to buy 4 pair for $25 plus shipping, a costly investment if you only want to build one car. It makes much better economic sense (cents) for several people who only want one car to go together and buy enough for the group and share the costs.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...

Ed Ursem made the beautiful patterns for the cast resin correct width ends the NP Society sells. I did the casting until recently, must have done over 1000 pairs, and Aaron will be doing them now. Or will be, as soon as I get off my butt and send him the patterns and submasters.

Tom Madden

Rich C

Andy, I am willing to buy one to two of those end sets from you if you want to part with them.

Rich Christie

On Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:43 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Guy

They just called them "end doors". The ORER's also call them "end doors".
http://research.nprha.org/NP%20Stock%20Cars/Stock%20Cars%2040%20Ft.%2083250-83499.jpg

All of the stock car diagrams are here
http://research.nprha.org/NP%20Stock%20Cars/Forms/AllItems.aspx

Tim O'Connor

>Aaron and all,
>
>Curious if anyone has thoughts as to whether Northern Pacific referred to the end door on their stock cars as a lumber door or a drover's door?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Guy Wilber
>Reno, Nevada

Clark Cooper

Steve, thanks for the clinic link. Long-shot question: Do you know if there's an appropriately narrower truck to use for that?

I did notice that the NPRHA web site indicates 4 pairs for $12.50:

http://www1.storehost.com/stores/xq/xfm/store_id.615/page_id.23/Item_ID.137488/parent_ids.0,0,1/qx/store.htm

I placed an order for one set of ends, plus a copy of volume 25-1 of the Mainstreeter for Ed Ursem's article on narrowing these kits. Total with $5 shipping was $24.50.

-Clark Cooper
(the other, other Clark)

http://atsfrr.net/resources/Sandifer/Clinics/Stk/Mod/CV.htm

One suggestion: The NP society sells the ends 2 pair for $12.50. However, they require a $20 minimum sale and tack on shipping of course. So one would have to buy 4 pair for $25 plus shipping, a costly investment if you only want to build one car. It makes much better economic sense (cents) for several people who only want one car to go together and buy enough for the group and share the costs.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
Ed Ursem made the beautiful patterns for the cast resin correct width ends the NP Society sells. I did the casting until recently, must have done over 1000 pairs, and Aaron will be doing them now. Or will be, as soon as I get off my butt and send him the patterns and submasters.

Tom Madden

WILLIAM PARDIE

Thanks for the information on using sand as bedding.  I don't  think that this is common knowledge.

Merry Christmas all.

Bill Pardie

[...]

Yes, sand, 1” or more, some railroads specified 2-4”. The ATSF called for 2” of sand, and noted that “cinders are very undesirable.”

Instructions for livestock bedding is contained in the AAR Pamphlet #19 “Methods for Loading and Handling Live Stock”. The copy I have was Issued 1925, revised 1942. Similar (if the not the same) instructions can be found in many livestock handling brochures published by the railroads themselves. I have found copies on the net, so they are out there.

Hay or straw was to be used in cold weather. If for hogs, the straw must be one foot high around the sides and ends of the car to act as a wind break. 1 ½ bales per deck, in extreme weather 2 bales. Bales to approximate 200lb in weight.

During stormy or severe weather the sides of the cars were to be papered or battened to provide additional protection while allowing for ventilation.

Cars were to be clean, in Canada disinfected, before each use. Soiled bedding was to be removed

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@{{emailDomain}}, <csc@...> wrote:

Steve, thanks for the clinic link. Long-shot question: Do you know if there's an appropriately narrower truck to use for that?

Well, Accurail trucks are very near scale width, within a scale inch or so, both the Andrews and the AAR "Bettendorf" trucks. I haven't measured some of the newer offerings... anyone measure the Tahoe trucks?

Merry Christmas

Dennis Storzek