3 3 3 dreadnaught ends

ed_mines

The GTW SS double door box car kits have this end. Originally from steam shack, now F&C. Maybe F&C will sell you end alone.

Ed Mines

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Ed I'll give them a try.  It may be cheaper than having my own cast.
fenton

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

Tom Madden

WestRail part #E-1001, Drednaught [sic] 3-3-3 Ends, Late '20s Auto Cars. Beautiful castings, I'll bring a pack of them to CB for you, Fenton. Richard, since you made them, are these suitable for Fenton's use?

Tom Madden

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Tom, That would be great.  I'd really appreciate that.
Fenton

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM, <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

WestRail part #E-1001, Drednaught [sic] 3-3-3 Ends, Late '20s Auto Cars. Beautiful castings, I'll bring a pack of them to CB for you, Fenton. Richard, since you made them, are these suitable for Fenton's use?

Tom Madden

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

Tim O'Connor

The RPI Rensselaer Railroad Shop offered #NGD-FP01 "auto end door" that
was a 3-3-3 end plus a dreadnaught end door. I don't know if these were the
same as the Steam Shack parts. I'm pretty sure Steve Funaro did the castings.
They are Alumilite resin.

Tim O'Connor

WestRail part #E-1001, Drednaught [sic] 3-3-3 Ends, Late '20s Auto Cars. Beautiful castings,
I'll bring a pack of them to CB for you, Fenton. Richard, since you made them, are these
suitable for Fenton's use?
Tom Madden

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Tim, I'll check it out.
Fenton Wells

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

The RPI Rensselaer Railroad Shop offered #NGD-FP01 "auto end door" that
was a 3-3-3 end plus a dreadnaught end door. I don't know if these were the
same as the Steam Shack parts. I'm pretty sure Steve Funaro did the castings.
They are Alumilite resin.

Tim O'Connor

WestRail part #E-1001, Drednaught [sic] 3-3-3 Ends, Late '20s Auto Cars. Beautiful castings,
I'll bring a pack of them to CB for you, Fenton. Richard, since you made them, are these
suitable for Fenton's use?
Tom Madden

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 29, 2013, at 1:16 PM, pullmanboss@... wrote:

WestRail part #E-1001, Drednaught [sic] 3-3-3 Ends, Late '20s Auto Cars. Beautiful castings, I'll bring a pack of them to CB for you, Fenton. Richard, since you made them, are these suitable for Fenton's use?
Fenton will have to make that decision, but they are tall enough for use on auto car models.  The pattern I used was the end from an old wood and cardboard kit for a 40’ single sheathed double door auto car that appeared briefly in the 1950s - sorry, I don’t recall who made the kit.

Richard Hendrickson

Jeff Pellas <jppellas@...>

Rich,
     The wood and cardboard kit you are likely referring to is by "Comet." They did a series of 40' SS, Double Door kits for a number of railroads which featured wooden construction with embossed card stock sides and ends which were glued over the wood body. Brass ladders or staples representing individual ladder rungs were added depending on which prototype car you happened to be building. The underside was just a straight center beam and a K brake cylinder/reservoir made out of turned wood. I used a Comet kit depicting a Wabash car as the jumping off point for my build. Among many changes I made to the kit was that I swapped out the embossed card stock ends for the harvested TYCO 3-3-3 ends --because I wanted deeper details. The Comet kits actually date from the late 1930's. Lehigh Models released an updated version of the Comet kit in the 1950s which utilized the same embossed card stock sides but had nice 3-3-3 plastic ends and a plastic radial roof. The underside of this kit was the same as Lehigh Models AAR boxcar kits so, like the Comet kit, there was no attempt to replicate the Fishbelly frame of the prototype. Still, I have found both the Comet and the Lehigh Models kits have features that can be worked with to end up with a fairly representative model.

Jeff
jppellas@...

WestRail part #E-1001, Drednaught [sic] 3-3-3 Ends, Late '20s Auto Cars. Beautiful castings, I'll bring a pack of them to CB for you, Fenton. Richard, since you made them, are these suitable for Fenton's use?
Fenton will have to make that decision, but they are tall enough for use on auto car models.  The pattern I used was the end from an old wood and cardboard kit for a 40’ single sheathed double door auto car that appeared briefly in the 1950s - sorry, I don’t recall who made the kit.

Richard Hendrickson

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Richard and I'll bring some $$.  I want to use them on a Red Caboose 10'-0" IH DD car to convert to the NYC 88xxx (594B) or 211xxx (585B) series cars.  By the way Richard any idea of roof type for these cars.  If I go by the Westerfield modern single door car (2951) they look like a Hutchins without the center line in each panel but it looks like some of these cars got the ARA straight panel roofs as well as in the RC kit.  Roof usage was not in the summary of the RPC Vol 21 on these cars.  Any suggestions?
I appreciate your help with my bash project.
Fenton

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:

On Dec 29, 2013, at 1:16 PM, pullmanboss@... wrote:

WestRail part #E-1001, Drednaught [sic] 3-3-3 Ends, Late '20s Auto Cars. Beautiful castings, I'll bring a pack of them to CB for you, Fenton. Richard, since you made them, are these suitable for Fenton's use?
Fenton will have to make that decision, but they are tall enough for use on auto car models.  The pattern I used was the end from an old wood and cardboard kit for a 40’ single sheathed double door auto car that appeared briefly in the 1950s - sorry, I don’t recall who made the kit.

Richard Hendrickson

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

rwitt_2000

Was it the old kit by Arden for a Wabash 40-ft SS automobile box car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Arden-Realistic-Model-Trains-WABASH-HO-40-AUTOMOBILE-CAR-Kits-NIB-RARE-/301040450452?nma=true&si=Eysh4hnZnlAgSA048Ize%252FnaAiSM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Regards,

Bob Witt

rwitt_2000

Was it the old Arden kit for a Wabash 40-ft SS box car?

On Jan 1, 2014, at 9:52 AM, rwitt_2000@... wrote:

Was it the old kit by Arden for a Wabash 40-ft SS automobile box car?
No, an even older kit than that, Bob, without end door and with embossed printed cardboard sides (the side framing wasn’t much more than suggested, which is why I didn’t build the kit).

Richard Hendrickson

Jeff Pellas <jppellas@...>

When I built the Comet boxcar, I attached styrene strips for the outside bracing and cut the cardstock sides into individual pieces that fit in between the styrene braces. I also cut out the doors and made them thicker by gluing thin strips of wood to their backs while adding other styrene for the upper and lower door tracks. Paint the boxcar before adding the card stock pieces.

Jeff
jppellas@...

Was it the old kit by Arden for a Wabash 40-ft SS automobile box car?
No, an even older kit than that, Bob, without end door and with embossed printed cardboard sides (the side framing wasn’t much more than suggested, which is why I didn’t build the kit).

Richard Hendrickson

Tom Madden

I checked the WestRail 3-3-3 ends against an IMWX 10' 0" IH boxcar shell and they are a perfect match - if you remove the rivet strip at the top of the ends. The castings are filled polyester and are slightly cupped. Don't know if they will flatten with heat.

Tom Madden

mrprksr <mrprksr@...>

Were these the same cars (kits) that Americas Hobby Center used to advertise in Model Railroader for 99  cents many moons ago.....I would guess the 60's.....Larry Mennie

When I built the Comet boxcar, I attached styrene strips for the outside bracing and cut the cardstock sides into individual pieces that fit in between the styrene braces. I also cut out the doors and made them thicker by gluing thin strips of wood to their backs while adding other styrene for the upper and lower door tracks. Paint the boxcar before adding the card stock pieces.

Jeff
jppellas@...

Was it the old kit by Arden for a Wabash 40-ft SS automobile box car?
No, an even older kit than that, Bob, without end door and with embossed printed cardboard sides (the side framing wasn’t much more than suggested, which is why I didn’t build the kit).

Richard Hendrickson

Jim Davis

Tom and All,

Tom wrote: "WestRail part #E-1001, Drednaught [sic] 3-3-3 Ends, Late '20s Auto Cars. Beautiful castings, I'll bring a pack of them to CB for you."

Where does one get these if not attending Cocoa Beach?  Are they available somewhere?  Thanks.

Jim Davis

Tom Madden

These are castings that Richard Hendrickson offered as part of his WestRail line many years ago. I happened to have two sets in the parts drawer and am giving one set to Fenton. They are long, long out of production.

Tom Madden

O Fenton Wells

And I do appreciate that Tom
Fenton Wells