intermountain 1958 cu.ft. 2 bay hoppers

steel77086@...

To the Goup:

Can anyone tell me if the 1958 2 bay covered hoppers are/were originally the ones produced by KATO ??? Thanks in advance for the help.

Vince Altiere

Ed Hawkins

On Jan 11, 2014, at 11:08 AM, <steel77086@...> wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the 1958 2 bay covered hoppers are/were originally the ones produced by KATO ??? Thanks in advance for the help.

Vince,
The two models are based on the same ACF 1,958 cu. ft. 70-ton design, but the InterMountain models come with far better detailing. Among other improvements are wire grabs and locking bars on the IM model, whereas the Kato model is molded plastic. Also, there are differences with the end post arrangement.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

steel77086@...

Ed,

Thanks for the info.

Vince Altiere

In a message dated 1/11/2014 12:46:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, hawk0621@... writes:

On Jan 11, 2014, at 11:08 AM, wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if the 1958 2 bay covered hoppers are/were
> originally the ones produced by KATO ??? Thanks in advance for the
> help.

Vince,
The two models are based on the same ACF 1,958 cu. ft. 70-ton design,
but the InterMountain models come with far better detailing. Among
other improvements are wire grabs and locking bars on the IM model,
whereas the Kato model is molded plastic. Also, there are differences
with the end post arrangement.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Tim O'Connor

Ed, I thought the consensus was that the Kato models were more like
the GATC clones than actual ACF cars. Several builders built nearly
identical 1958 cft cars.

Tim O'Connor

The two models are based on the same ACF 1,958 cu. ft. 70-ton design, but the InterMountain models come with far better detailing. Among other improvements are wire grabs and locking bars on the IM model, whereas the Kato model is molded plastic. Also, there are differences with the end post arrangement.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Rich C

And also the IM kit version has 135 lines of assembly instruction! But a beautiful kit, I bought 3 of them cheap on eBay.

Rich Christie