CRI&P 53' war gons

twinstarcars

Does anyone have photos from the late '50's showing the 53' war gons in revenue service that were not converted to TOFC service?

Thanks,
Ross

Richard Hendrickson

On Jan 28, 2014, at 8:27 AM, twinstarcars@... wrote:

Does anyone have photos from the late '50's showing the 53' war gons in revenue service that were not converted to TOFC service?

ross, the attached photo shows a car after the wood side sheathing had been replaced with sections of corrugated steel gondola ends.  Reweigh date is 1955.  I hope this is useful.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

Richard is it possible that the corrugated panels are actually drop-doors
from General Service style gondolas? They kinda look that way to me, and I
think Rock Island had a supply of those cars built in the 1930's...

Tim O'

On Mar 5, 2014, at 9:17 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Richard is it possible that the corrugated panels are actually drop-doors
from General Service style gondolas? They kinda look that way to me, and I
think Rock Island had a supply of those cars built in the 1930's…

Tim, they appear to be either Dreadnaught drop doors with one edge cut off or Dreadnaught gondola ends cut in half.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

I agree. I was just thinking this might be a good use for a stash of the
Detail Associates plastic GS drop doors. :-)

Tim O'

On Mar 5, 2014, at 9:17 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@... > wrote:

Richard is it possible that the corrugated panels are actually drop-doors
from General Service style gondolas? They kinda look that way to me, and I
think Rock Island had a supply of those cars built in the 1930's�

Tim, they appear to be either Dreadnaught drop doors with one edge cut off or
Dreadnaught gondola ends cut in half.

Richard Hendrickson

Does anyone make this car without the wood sides molded in?

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@opendoor.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] CRI&P 53' war gons

On Mar 5, 2014, at 9:17 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net> wrote:

Richard is it possible that the corrugated panels are actually drop-doors
from General Service style gondolas? They kinda look that way to me, and I
think Rock Island had a supply of those cars built in the 1930'sŠ
Tim, they appear to be either Dreadnaught drop doors with one edge cut off
or Dreadnaught gondola ends cut in half.

Richard Hendrickson

Sunshine did, I think

At 3/5/2014 04:23 PM Wednesday, you wrote:
Does anyone make this car without the wood sides molded in?

Brian Ehni

On Mar 5, 2014, at 9:17 AM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net> wrote:

Richard is it possible that the corrugated panels are actually drop-doors
from General Service style gondolas? They kinda look that way to me, and I
think Rock Island had a supply of those cars built in the 1930's�
Tim, they appear to be either Dreadnaught drop doors with one edge cut off
or Dreadnaught gondola ends cut in half.

Richard Hendrickson

Unless they redid the kit, no; I have a Sunshine from the days when F&C cast
them from the yellow resin, and it has sides cast in. I’m thinking the Tichy
kit would be the best to use, but you’d have to carve off the sides somehow

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net>
Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 3:45 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>

On Mar 5, 2014, at 1:45 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Sunshine did, I think

At 3/5/2014 04:23 PM Wednesday, you wrote:
>Does anyone make this car without the wood sides molded in?
>
>Brian Ehni

The old Ulrich kits, if you could find one, had die cast side framing and wood sheathing.  They were very good, despite their age - light years ahead of what MDC, Varney, Silver Streak, etc. were doing at that time - and with some additional detailing make up into very nice models by current standards.

Richard Hendrickson

This seems to have complete die cast sides. http://tinyurl.com/ltvz9hv
I did see another Ulrich SS box kit with die cast bracing, though.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@opendoor.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 3:55 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>

On Mar 5, 2014, at 1:45 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net> wrote:

Sunshine did, I think

At 3/5/2014 04:23 PM Wednesday, you wrote:
Does anyone make this car without the wood sides molded in?

Brian Ehni
The old Ulrich kits, if you could find one, had die cast side framing and
wood sheathing. They were very good, despite their age - light years ahead
of what MDC, Varney, Silver Streak, etc. were doing at that time - and with
some additional detailing make up into very nice models by current
standards.

Richard Hendrickson

Rod Miller

On 3/5/14, 1:23 PM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:
Does anyone make this car without the wood sides molded in?

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Not applicable for scales other than O, however
Pecos River Brass imported them in O scale. Sold out,
they sometimes come up on eBay and at O scale meets.

They also imported the composite cars with pre-cut
stripwood for the sides and floors (also for the
floors in the CRI&P cars).

Rod

--

Custom 2-rail O Scale Models: Drives, | O Scale West / S West
Repairs, Steam Loco Building, More | 2015 Meet is Feb 5 - 7

Rich C

Right you are Tim, they are from GS gon drop doors. What also makes these cars unique is the "PS" style ends.

Around the fifties I guess many were converted to piggyback service with all side sheathing removed. They were just a skeletal frame.

Someone at one time was going to produce that version, anyone know if that ever came about?

Rich Christie

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:25 PM, Rod Miller wrote:

On 3/5/14, 1:23 PM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:
> Does anyone make this car without the wood sides molded in?
>
> Thanks!
> --
>
> Brian Ehni

Not applicable for scales other than O, however
Pecos River Brass imported them in O scale. Sold out,
they sometimes come up on eBay and at O scale meets.

They also imported the composite cars with pre-cut
stripwood for the sides and floors (also for the
floors in the CRI&P cars).

Rod

--

Custom 2-rail O Scale Models: Drives, | O Scale West / S West
Repairs, Steam Loco Building, More | 2015 Meet is Feb 5 - 7
http://www.rodmiller.com | http://www.oscalewest.com

twinstarcars

All the standard kits have had fully molded sides. There was one resin kit which I don't remember the MFG that did the TOFC car.  I personally built a fixture for my router table that can be adjusted to take off as little as .001". I have 5 cars in my UFO pile that need the the hitches completed now that I have the US Patent showing the design of the hitch.
I also have a couple more with the sides thinned and will be using the Detail Associates drop bottom gon doors to complete the sides.
Ross

Will you be doing resin kits for the hitches? And was it maybe Rocket
Express that did the cars? If so, I maybe have some in my stash! I SO want
to do the TOFC gon with auto trailer loaded with Cadillacs that was in the
Rock Island Color Guide to Freight & Passenger.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <twinstarcars@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>

All the standard kits have had fully molded sides. There was one resin kit
which I don't remember the MFG that did the TOFC car. I personally built a
fixture for my router table that can be adjusted to take off as little as
.001". I have 5 cars in my UFO pile that need the the hitches completed now
that I have the US Patent showing the design of the hitch.

I also have a couple more with the sides thinned and will be using the
Detail Associates drop bottom gon doors to complete the sides.
Ross

twinstarcars

Brian, I have been batting around the idea of doing a set of castings for the hitch. They would be über delicate. With very thin walled parts. I am trying to get my UFO file downsized before summer so I can paint a bunch. As for the trailer of Cadillacs, I'm doing them so you can't. Oh wait, that was childish. I have the Revell trailer but need to find the cars. I want to do the Adapto car with the trailer that is in the AFC ad I have.
Ross

We can do different number, Ross! LOL!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Ross I keep trying to send replies to your twinstarcars at yahoo.com
email address, and Yahoo keeps sending me rejections. Do you have an
alternative email address that works?

Tim O'Connor

All the standard kits have had fully molded sides. There was one resin kit which I don't remember the MFG that did the TOFC car. I personally built a fixture for my router table that can be adjusted to take off as little as .001". I have 5 cars in my UFO pile that need the the hitches completed now that I have the US Patent showing the design of the hitch.
I also have a couple more with the sides thinned and will be using the Detail Associates drop bottom gon doors to complete the sides.
Ross

Dan Sweeney Jr

Ross and list, the TOFC-version resin kit was a limited run by an outfit in Delaware called TMB Custom Models.  I believe it was commissioned by Lee Bertholf; not sure.  They produced both the double cut-out version and the much rarer single cut-out.  An expensive kit, and very difficult to add weight to, but it saved HOURS of shaving plastic off of the Tichy kit (ask me how I know).
Dan Sweeney, Jr., Alexandria, VA

twinstarcars

Dan, i dont remember the single cut out version and cant seem to find a picture either because of my ER meds or there isnt one in Steve's book. Please don't tell me you scraped with a razor blade. I too started with a few passes that way and figured out the five cars I wanted were never going to happen. The router fixture I made works awesome! It makes quick work of the boards and then a #11 blade to clean up the edges of the steel stamping.
Ross

twinstarcars

I can also be reached at
roscodando@...