Railroad ties as car loads

gary laakso

This is a long vid but it features vintage equipment and lots of cheap, hard labor

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

O Fenton Wells

Check out the SAL Vent box in this carrying ties.  No watermelons there!
Fenton Wells

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

This is a long vid but it features vintage equipment and lots of cheap, hard labor

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

Both SP and MP had creosote plants in Houston, TX back in the day. The SP¹s
was near Englewood Yard, and the MP¹s was on Hardy Road, north of the
Burlington-Rock Island junction.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: gary laakso <vasa0vasa@earthlink.net>
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Railroad ties as car loads

This is a long vid but it features vintage equipment and lots of cheap, hard
labor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51AX8w9bt2I

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com/> protection is active.

wlhoss@...

Felton,

I think there was a SAL box car being loaded at the tie plant too.  At least the Ventilated box car wasn't carrying treated ties.  Nothing like a little creosote residue to flavor your watermelon.

Bill Hoss

In a message dated 1/29/2014 2:34:44 P.M. Central Standard Time, srrfan1401@... writes:
Check out the SAL Vent box in this carrying ties.  No watermelons there!
Fenton Wells

Steve SANDIFER

Santa Fe's was at Somerville, TX, just up the road.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...

From: gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM
To: STMFC List

This is a long vid but it features vintage equipment and lots of cheap, hard
labor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51AX8w9bt2I

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

This email is free from viruses and malware because
avast! Antivirus protection is active.

Yes! A little hard to get to on the back side of the yard. Judging from
Google Earth, it is still there.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: Steve Sandifer <steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 2:49 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>

Santa Fe's was at Somerville, TX, just up the road.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net
Office: Southwest Central Church of Christ, 4011 W. Bellfort, Houston, TX
77025, 713-667-9417

From: gary laakso <vasa0vasa@earthlink.net>
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>

This is a long vid but it features vintage equipment and lots of cheap, hard
labor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51AX8w9bt2I

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com/> protection is active.

granpa92@...

Interesting and informative video.

But, tell me one thing, how does a SEABOARD AIR LINE "watermelon" car
end up in Missouri hauling fresh cut railroad ties?

It looks like the serving RR comandered any and every car from any RR
they could to haul ties.

Thanks for sharing,

Larry Platt

This is a long vid but it features vintage equipment and lots of cheap,
hard labor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51AX8w9bt2I

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
Antivirus protection is active.

Steven D Johnson

The Cadiz Railroad, a now-defunct short line in western Kentucky, for many years relied on cross ties shipped out over their line as a major source of revenue.  They used pretty much any car they could to haul them out – mostly gondolas and flat cars as would be expected, but also boxcars and even stock cars.   There is a photo showing a Cadiz RR steam locomotive and a few cars which derailed in February 1942.  On the back of the photo, which is in the collection of the former president of the line, the caption notes that the stock car involved was loaded with ties due to a boxcar shortage.  Unfortunately, I cannot make out the stock car’s reporting marks or road number.  The date gives away the reason for the boxcar shortage.

Steve Johnson

This is a long vid but it features vintage equipment and lots of cheap,
hard labor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51AX8w9bt2I

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
Antivirus protection is active.

Bruce Smith

Larry,

I know it is the popular colloquialism , but I am not fond of the term "watermelon cars", as these cars are not restricted to the carrying of specific perishable fruit, but are ventilated boxcars, and as such were considered suitable for any load a boxcar could haul as well as loads that required ventilation. It would be entirely appropriate and not at all "commandeering" the car to load a ventilated boxcar with a cargo that was headed in the direction of the home road. So while it is certainly possible that the car has been commandeered, there is also a very reasonable chance that is it being used correctly within the service rules.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

This is a long vid but it features vintage equipment and lots of cheap,
hard labor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51AX8w9bt2I

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
Antivirus protection is active.

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Don <riverman_vt@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, granpa92@... wrote:

Interesting and informative video.

But, tell me one thing, how does a SEABOARD AIR LINE "watermelon" car
end up in Missouri hauling fresh cut railroad ties?

It looks like the serving RR comandered any and every car from any RR
they could to haul ties.

Thanks for sharing,

Larry Platt

If the tiesw came from a supplier located on SAL trackage this should come as no surprise given the the Class V-9 and V-10 SAL
ventilate3d box cars comprised a LARGE percentage of the SAL fleet until the late 1940's. If the photo was taken during WW II, with the
inherent car shortaqe, it comes as even ess of a surprise. Don't
forget that the Wine Ventilators in the V-9's and V-10's incused a lumber loading door. When used with the regular doors the "vents"
were little different than any other doubmle sheathed box car.

Still have Wright Trak V-9 and V-10 ressin vent kits s for sale
for anyone who wants one. Contact me off list for further info.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

I have a photo of a CB&Q composite gondola filled with ties. The unusual aspect of the photo is that the tie stacks on both ends were lengthwise, while the rest of the tie stacks were crosswise with respect to the rails. That arrangement made an interesting load for a war emergency gondola.

Nelson Moyer

On Feb 10, 2014, at 9:20 AM, "Don" <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., granpa92@... wrote:

> Interesting and informative video.
>
> But, tell me one thing, how does a SEABOARD AIR LINE "watermelon" car
> end up in Missouri hauling fresh cut railroad ties?
>
> It looks like the serving RR comandered any and every car from any RR
> they could to haul ties.
>
> Thanks for sharing,
>
> Larry Platt

If the tiesw came from a supplier located on SAL trackage this should come as no surprise given the the Class V-9 and V-10 SAL
ventilate3d box cars comprised a LARGE percentage of the SAL fleet until the late 1940's. If the photo was taken during WW II, with the
inherent car shortaqe, it comes as even ess of a surprise. Don't
forget that the Wine Ventilators in the V-9's and V-10's incused a lumber loading door. When used with the regular doors the "vents"
were little different than any other doubmle sheathed box car.

Still have Wright Trak V-9 and V-10 ressin vent kits s for sale
for anyone who wants one. Contact me off list for further info.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Cyril Durrenberger

There are photos of ties being stacked like that on flat cars on the D&IR in the early 1900's.

Cyril Durrenberger

--- In STMFC@..., granpa92@... wrote:

> Interesting and informative video.
>
> But, tell me one thing, how does a SEABOARD AIR LINE "watermelon" car
> end up in Missouri hauling fresh cut railroad ties?
>
> It looks like the serving RR comandered any and every car from any RR
> they could to haul ties.
>
> Thanks for sharing,
>
> Larry Platt

If the tiesw came from a supplier located on SAL trackage this should come as no surprise given the the Class V-9 and V-10 SAL
ventilate3d box cars comprised a LARGE percentage of the SAL fleet until the late 1940's. If the photo was taken during WW II, with the
inherent car shortaqe, it comes as even ess of a surprise. Don't
forget that the Wine Ventilators in the V-9's and V-10's incused a lumber loading door. When used with the regular doors the "vents"
were little different than any other doubmle sheathed box car.

Still have Wright Trak V-9 and V-10 ressin vent kits s for sale
for anyone who wants one. Contact me off list for further info.

Cordially, Don Valentine

CJ Riley

One of the RR Cyc reprints includes ARA(?) loading diagrams for that gondola load and I built one myself. It's obviously more stable that way with much of the mass below the sides.

CJ Riley
Bainbridge Island WA