From: Tim O'Connor
To: stmfc
Sent: Sat, Feb 1, 2014 12:01 am
Subject: [STMFC] pause for yard identification

Any ideas? My only guess is East St Louis, Alton & Southern -- but
I can't find the diesel's paint scheme on the web.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12237647925/

Tim O'Connor

David Sieber

Tom, Tim,
     I flipped it horizontally, which helps a bit; the tank car looks to be Monsanto.  I don't recognize either the location or the diesel paint scheme.  The Barriger website says it's from an SP set and it is tagged as Southern Pacific; however, I can't find any identifying info such as location or date.  The EXIF data is no help since it just documents that the original was scanned today.  Anyone recognize the skyline (reversed)?
Dave Sieber, Reno NV

To: STMFC@...
From: tyesac@...
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 01:17:33 -0500
Subject: Re: [STMFC] pause for yard identification

It probably doesn't help that the image is reversed, look at the NKP box car just after the switcher.   Also, that insulated  tank car with the dome platform, is that the Wabash "follow the flag" logo?

Tom Casey

From: tyesac@...
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 01:17:33 -0500

It probably doesn't help that the image is reversed, look at the NKP box car just after the switcher.   Also, that insulated  tank car with the dome platform, is that the Wabash "follow the flag" logo?

Tom Casey

Any ideas? My only guess is East St Louis, Alton & Southern -- but
I can't find the diesel's paint scheme on the web.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12237647925/

Tim O'Connor

Barry Bennett

Alton & Southern in the original Alcoa livery?

Barry Bennett
Coventry, England

To: STMFC@...
From: tyesac@...
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 01:17:33 -0500

From: tyesac@...
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 01:17:33 -0500

It probably doesn't help that the image is reversed, look at the NKP box car just after the switcher.   Also, that insulated  tank car with the dome platform, is that the Wabash "follow the flag" logo?

Tom Casey

Any ideas? My only guess is East St Louis, Alton & Southern -- but
I can't find the diesel's paint scheme on the web.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12237647925/

Tim O'Connor

wlhoss@...

Tim,
The switcher is one of the Alton & Southern's Alco's with a crew cab in the short hood, so your guess seems pretty good.  If you view the picture at the "original size" you can see the window on the side.

Bill Hoss

In a message dated 2/1/2014 12:01:57 A.M. Central Standard Time, timboconnor@... writes:

Any ideas? My only guess is East St Louis, Alton & Southern -- but
I can't find the diesel's paint scheme on the web.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12237647925/

Tim O'Connor

Aley, Jeff A

For those who aren’t into reading HTML, here’s a link to the photo (so you can reverse it in your favorite image editor):

//farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/12237647925_07c11ba939_h.jpg

Regards,

-Jeff

The switcher is one of the Alton & Southern's Alco's with a crew cab in the short hood, so your guess seems pretty good.  If you view the picture at the "original size" you can see the window on the side.

Bill Hoss

In a message dated 2/1/2014 12:01:57 A.M. Central Standard Time, timboconnor@... writes:

Any ideas? My only guess is East St Louis, Alton & Southern -- but
I can't find the diesel's paint scheme on the web.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12237647925/

Tim O'Connor

Aley, Jeff A

Oops, wrong one; that’s the high-res version (the “h” at the end); the original is even higher-resolution:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/12237647925_631fa3366e_o.jpg .

Regards,

-Jeff

The switcher is one of the Alton & Southern's Alco's with a crew cab in the short hood, so your guess seems pretty good.  If you view the picture at the "original size" you can see the window on the side.

Bill Hoss

In a message dated 2/1/2014 12:01:57 A.M. Central Standard Time, timboconnor@... writes:

Any ideas? My only guess is East St Louis, Alton & Southern -- but
I can't find the diesel's paint scheme on the web.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12237647925/

Tim O'Connor

Craig Zeni

7a. pause for yard identification
Posted by: "Tim O'Connor" timboconnor@... cf5250
Date: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:01 pm ((PST))

Any ideas? My only guess is East St Louis, Alton & Southern -- but
I can't find the diesel's paint scheme on the web.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12237647925/
FWIW the RS-2 wears the same livery as the Atlantic & Danville RS-2s...but I doubt it's on the A&D...Danville VA is not that flat and I don't think that the other end of the railroad in Norfolk.

I seem to recall that livery was an Alco standard and that I've seen another railroad's engines wearing it but I can't recall which one.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

wlhoss@...

Craig,

The Alton & Southern was an Alcoa subsidiary at this time.  I believe the yard was named Davis Yard.  The large Gateway hump yard came later.

Bill Hoss

In a message dated 2/1/2014 9:08:59 A.M. Central Standard Time, clzeni@... writes:

On Feb 1, 2014, at 1:17 AM, STMFC@... wrote:
> 7a. pause for yard identification
> Posted by: "Tim O'Connor" timboconnor@... cf5250
> Date: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:01 pm ((PST))
>

> Any ideas? My only guess is East St Louis, Alton & Southern -- but
> I can't find the diesel's paint scheme on the web.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12237647925/

FWIW the RS-2 wears the same livery as the Atlantic & Danville RS-2s...but I doubt it's on the A&D...Danville VA is not that flat and I don't think that the other end of the railroad in Norfolk.

I seem to recall that livery was an Alco standard and that I've seen another railroad's engines wearing it but I can't recall which one.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

D. Scott Chatfield

Tim O'Connor asked:

Any ideas? My only guess is East St Louis, Alton & Southern -- but
I can't find the diesel's paint scheme on the web.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12237647925/

Definitely an Alton & Southern RS2. And since the image is flipped,
you're looking west or southwest. The sun angle makes me think it's
close to midday. Time frame is early to mid '50s. Dr. Hendrickson
could probably narrow it now to a year, maybe even a month....

Scott Chatfield

Steven D Johnson

As for the date, perhaps this will help narrow it down a bit:  the L&N boxcar coupled to the A&S RS2 wears “The Old Reliable” slogan, which made its debut on freight cars in late 1951.

Steve Johnson