C&NW freight car brown color


O Fenton Wells
 

Any suggestions for a paint color for C&NW boxcars for the late 1940's.  Floquil Freight Car Brown looks close but if anyone has a better story let me know.

Thanks
Fenton Wells


gary laakso
 

Ted Culotta used Floquil boxcar red for the CNW single sheathed boxcars in his Essential Freight Cars #7 in the October, 2003 RMC.  From the Jack Delano photos, we know that paint faded to brown.
 
gary laakso
south of Mike Brock
 

Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2014 10:51 AM
Subject: [STMFC] C&NW freight car brown color
 
 

Any suggestions for a paint color for C&NW boxcars for the late 1940's.  Floquil Freight Car Brown looks close but if anyone has a better story let me know.

Thanks
Fenton Wells



This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.



O Fenton Wells
 

Thanks Gary, that is what I thought but I wasn't sure.
fenton wells


On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 11:19 AM, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:
 

Ted Culotta used Floquil boxcar red for the CNW single sheathed boxcars in his Essential Freight Cars #7 in the October, 2003 RMC.  From the Jack Delano photos, we know that paint faded to brown.
 
gary laakso
south of Mike Brock
 
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2014 10:51 AM
Subject: [STMFC] C&NW freight car brown color
 
 

Any suggestions for a paint color for C&NW boxcars for the late 1940's.  Floquil Freight Car Brown looks close but if anyone has a better story let me know.

Thanks
Fenton Wells




This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.





--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...


Norm Buckhart
 

Fenton - I heartily recommend the new TCP paints.  They have put a great effort into mixing the correct formulas to match the original ACF and P-S paint chips.  Ed Hawkins is a consultant on this and he and Pat Wider have clippings from all the actual bill of materials Bowles drift cards from the ACF factory before it closed.  Between 1943 and 1959, the C&NW used a lot of DuPont CNW #3 which matches TCP-925.  You can buy this either from Protocraft or TCP directly.  The original and correct colors are rather dark and you may want to experiment with replicating some oxidation using a few drops of TCP-179 gray.  Norm Buckhart

On Feb 1, 2014, at 7:51 AM, <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

 

Any suggestions for a paint color for C&NW boxcars for the late 1940's.  Floquil Freight Car Brown looks close but if anyone has a better story let me know.


Thanks
Fenton Wells



O Fenton Wells
 

Thanks Norm, I've never used these paints so maybe this is a good time to try.  I've got to figure out where to buy them.  
Fenton Wells


On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Norm Buckhart <norm@...> wrote:
 

Fenton - I heartily recommend the new TCP paints.  They have put a great effort into mixing the correct formulas to match the original ACF and P-S paint chips.  Ed Hawkins is a consultant on this and he and Pat Wider have clippings from all the actual bill of materials Bowles drift cards from the ACF factory before it closed.  Between 1943 and 1959, the C&NW used a lot of DuPont CNW #3 which matches TCP-925.  You can buy this either from Protocraft or TCP directly.  The original and correct colors are rather dark and you may want to experiment with replicating some oxidation using a few drops of TCP-179 gray.  Norm Buckhart


On Feb 1, 2014, at 7:51 AM, <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

 

Any suggestions for a paint color for C&NW boxcars for the late 1940's.  Floquil Freight Car Brown looks close but if anyone has a better story let me know.


Thanks
Fenton Wells





--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...


Norm Buckhart
 

Thanks Norm, I've never used these paints so maybe this is a good time to try.  I've got to figure out where to buy them.  
Fenton Wells

The TCP 900 series are part of a group developed by TCP for Protocraft with Ed Hawkins as a consultant.  The 900 numbers are not in stores but can be purchased directly from TCP individually or you can buy a paint package from Protocraft.

We are all hoping that Ed will do an updated article in a forthcoming RP CYC on freight car colors and TCP



On Feb 1, 2014, at 8:57 AM, O Fenton Wells wrote:

 




On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Norm Buckhart <norm@...> wrote:
 

Fenton - I heartily recommend the new TCP paints.  They have put a great effort into mixing the correct formulas to match the original ACF and P-S paint chips.  Ed Hawkins is a consultant on this and he and Pat Wider have clippings from all the actual bill of materials Bowles drift cards from the ACF factory before it closed.  Between 1943 and 1959, the C&NW used a lot of DuPont CNW #3 which matches TCP-925.  You can buy this either from Protocraft or TCP directly.  The original and correct colors are rather dark and you may want to experiment with replicating some oxidation using a few drops of TCP-179 gray.  Norm Buckhart


On Feb 1, 2014, at 7:51 AM, <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

 

Any suggestions for a paint color for C&NW boxcars for the late 1940's.  Floquil Freight Car Brown looks close but if anyone has a better story let me know.


Thanks
Fenton Wells






--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...



gary laakso
 

TCP-183 is Freight Car Brown for CNW from 1944-1960s while TCP-190 is for CMO. for the same years.

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

From: Norm Buckhart
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2014 12:06 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [STMFC] C&NW freight car brown color

Thanks Norm, I've never used these paints so maybe this is a good time to try. I've got to figure out where to buy them.
Fenton Wells

The TCP 900 series are part of a group developed by TCP for Protocraft with Ed Hawkins as a consultant. The 900 numbers are not in stores but can be purchased directly from TCP individually or you can buy a paint package from Protocraft.

We are all hoping that Ed will do an updated article in a forthcoming RP CYC on freight car colors and TCP





On Feb 1, 2014, at 8:57 AM, O Fenton Wells wrote:








On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Norm Buckhart <norm@protocraft.com> wrote:


Fenton - I heartily recommend the new TCP paints. They have put a great effort into mixing the correct formulas to match the original ACF and P-S paint chips. Ed Hawkins is a consultant on this and he and Pat Wider have clippings from all the actual bill of materials Bowles drift cards from the ACF factory before it closed. Between 1943 and 1959, the C&NW used a lot of DuPont CNW #3 which matches TCP-925. You can buy this either from Protocraft or TCP directly. The original and correct colors are rather dark and you may want to experiment with replicating some oxidation using a few drops of TCP-179 gray. Norm Buckhart


On Feb 1, 2014, at 7:51 AM, <srrfan1401@gmail.com> wrote:



Any suggestions for a paint color for C&NW boxcars for the late 1940's. Floquil Freight Car Brown looks close but if anyone has a better story let me know.


Thanks
Fenton Wells







--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@gmail.com



---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com


Tim O'Connor
 

Ya know, I saw an incredible variety of TCP "box car red" colors for
sale at the Big E train show, and I even bought a few bottles. But I
basically chose them by COLOR, not road name.

WHEN are people going to let go of the idea that there is a "correct"
freight car color for a particular railroad freight car model? If you
use a variety of shades, and a variety of weathering and fading techniques,
your freight car fleet is going to look very good. If you simply buy
"C&NW #3" and apply that to all of your C&NW freight cars, they're not
going to look right, unless you only model a new car assembly line.

Which is not to bash TCP. I love the variety of colors they offer!

Tim O'Connor

Fenton - I heartily recommend the new TCP paints. They have put a great effort into mixing the correct formulas to match the original ACF and P-S paint chips. Ed Hawkins is a consultant on this and he and Pat Wider have clippings from all the actual bill of materials Bowles drift cards from the ACF factory before it closed. Between 1943 and 1959, the C&NW used a lot of DuPont CNW #3 which matches TCP-925. You can buy this either from Protocraft or TCP directly. The original and correct colors are rather dark and you may want to experiment with replicating some oxidation using a few drops of TCP-179 gray. Norm Buckhart


Anspach Denny <danspachmd@...>
 

Fenton Wells comments-

>I've never used these paints [TCP Tru Color] so maybe this is a good time to
>try. I've got to figure out where to buy them.

These are indeed extremely fine paints; very forgiving, and very familiar to those who used and loved the old Accupaints (TCP purchased the Accupaint business remnants), and are currently essentially the same formulation. The high gloss with its slightly reduced cover is a little off-putting for those of us who have spent a lifetime (YES) with high cover flat paints.  

Rick Galazzo at TCP relates that they might be coming out with some flat finishes by this summer.  In the meantime, while husbanding my inventory of Floquil finishes, I am having to figure out how I can be more comfortable in developing routines for managing routine gloss finishes where flat finishes would have done best (sigh!).

Denny


Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

Please make note of my new eMail address.


Tony Thompson
 

Norm Buckhart wrote:

Fenton - I heartily recommend the new TCP paints.  They have put a great effort into mixing the correct formulas to match the original ACF and P-S paint chips.  Ed Hawkins is a consultant on this and he and Pat Wider have clippings from all the actual bill of materials Bowles drift cards from the ACF factory before it closed.  Between 1943 and 1959, the C&NW used a lot of DuPont CNW #3 which matches TCP-925.  You can buy this either from Protocraft or TCP directly.  The original and correct colors are rather dark and you may want to experiment with replicating some oxidation using a few drops of TCP-179 gray.  

       And Rick Galazzo at TCP has been calling on other experts for color information too. I shared with him my SP color chips (Bowles Color Drifts) for SP depot colors, and can verify that the ones they produced are spot on.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history





Tim O'Connor
 


Tony, I second that opinion. I bought the yellow and green depot colors
(need to get the trim brown too) as well as Daylight Red and Orange (which
is also PFE Orange) and they look perfect as well. I didn't notice if he
had an SP Sea Foam Green...

Tim O'Connor


  And Rick Galazzo at TCP has been calling on other experts for color information too.
  I shared with him my SP color chips (Bowles Color Drifts) for SP depot colors, and can
  verify that the ones they produced are spot on.
  Tony Thompson


Tim Meyer
 

Hi All 

While we are talking about CNW boxcar colors and TCP. Can someone recommend a TCP paint that would be suitable for the Westerfield CNW Fowler boxcars?

An article in The O Scale Resource states the following: “In a 1910 history of the C&NW, they called for the paint to be made from ore mined in North Freedom, Wisconsin.”

Thanks:

Tim Meyer

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In a 1910 history of the

C&NW, they called for the paint to be

made from ore mined in North Freedom,

Wisconsin.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In a 1910 history of the

C&NW, they called for the paint to be

made from ore mined in North Freedom,

Wisconsin.

 

 

 

Thanks:

Tim Meyer


hubert mask
 

Des plaines hobbies carries a complete line as well as high ball graphics. 

Hubert mask 


On Feb 1, 2014, at 2:08 PM, "Anspach Denny" <danspachmd@...> wrote:

 

Fenton Wells comments-


>I've never used these paints [TCP Tru Color] so maybe this is a good time to
>try. I've got to figure out where to buy them.

These are indeed extremely fine paints; very forgiving, and very familiar to those who used and loved the old Accupaints (TCP purchased the Accupaint business remnants), and are currently essentially the same formulation. The high gloss with its slightly reduced cover is a little off-putting for those of us who have spent a lifetime (YES) with high cover flat paints.  

Rick Galazzo at TCP relates that they might be coming out with some flat finishes by this summer.  In the meantime, while husbanding my inventory of Floquil finishes, I am having to figure out how I can be more comfortable in developing routines for managing routine gloss finishes where flat finishes would have done best (sigh!).

Denny


Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

Please make note of my new eMail address.


O Fenton Wells
 

Than sk Hubert.
Fenton Wells


On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Hubert Mask <maskisland@...> wrote:
 

Des plaines hobbies carries a complete line as well as high ball graphics. 

Hubert mask 


On Feb 1, 2014, at 2:08 PM, "Anspach Denny" <danspachmd@...> wrote:

 

Fenton Wells comments-


>I've never used these paints [TCP Tru Color] so maybe this is a good time to
>try. I've got to figure out where to buy them.

These are indeed extremely fine paints; very forgiving, and very familiar to those who used and loved the old Accupaints (TCP purchased the Accupaint business remnants), and are currently essentially the same formulation. The high gloss with its slightly reduced cover is a little off-putting for those of us who have spent a lifetime (YES) with high cover flat paints.  

Rick Galazzo at TCP relates that they might be coming out with some flat finishes by this summer.  In the meantime, while husbanding my inventory of Floquil finishes, I am having to figure out how I can be more comfortable in developing routines for managing routine gloss finishes where flat finishes would have done best (sigh!).

Denny


Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

Please make note of my new eMail address.




--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...