Rapido Meat Reefers - Brake Reservoir

webotkin

just picked up my three Rapido meat reefers from Caboose Hobbies and though they don't exhibit any problems as previously discussed, I have a question about the brake reservoir:

Viewed from the side of the car, the reservoirs on all three cars are all mounted at an angle with the right side noticeably higher off the rail than the left side.  I have not noticed this on other models and wondered if this correct or a manufacturing defect. 

At first I thought perhaps the part was not seated properly, but without breaking it loose from its mounting, it doesn't shift.

Finally, if any one is still looking for these models, Caboose Hobbies in Denver still has  good supply of both the decorated and undecorated kits on the shelf as of yesterday.

Bill Botkin

Centennial,CO

Ed Hawkins

On Feb 4, 2014, at 8:55 AM, <webotkin@ecentral.com> wrote:

Viewed from the side of the car, the reservoirs on all three cars are
all mounted at an angle with the right side noticeably higher off the
rail than the left side.  I have not noticed this on other models and
wondered if this correct or a manufacturing defect. 

At first I thought perhaps the part was not seated properly, but
without breaking it loose from its mounting, it doesn't shift.
Bill,
One I received was the same way with a reservoir that wasn't level.
Check the reservoir bracket that extends to the center sill. On my
model this bracket was pushed under the center sill flange (when
looking at the car upside down). I carefully maneuvered the bracket to
rest on top of the center sill flange, and this straightened the
reservoir to become level. Hope this helps.

Bill Schneider, please chime in if I'm giving out bad advice.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

feddersenmark

Bill,

When I talked about misaligned parts in my original post, less than horizontal air reservoirs were one of the problems...4 out of 7, along with 3 out of 7 non-vertical brake wheels, 2 warpped roof walks, 50% bent stirrup steps, 100% non-attachment of piping to triple valve, 4 out of 7 cut levers, wire grabs pushed all the way in, leaving no space between the car body, brake levers and rodding not connected and all over the place. The lever hangers are in no way attached to the frame as they should be. Throw away the couplers.

I find it incredulous that others on this list, many involved in the development and research of this model, have experienced no problems.  Mark Feddersen

James E Kubanick

I had the same problem with two of my reefers and corrected them as Ed suggested, above. A third car had a loose cut lever which I corrected with a drop of ACC. My fourth car needed no repairs. All four came from Walthers. Very nice cars once fixed, though.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Rapido Meat Reefers - Brake Reservoir

On Feb 4, 2014, at 8:55 AM, <webotkin@...> wrote:

> Viewed from the side of the car, the reservoirs on all three cars are
> all mounted at an angle with the right side noticeably higher off the
> rail than the left side.  I have not noticed this on other models and
> wondered if this correct or a manufacturing defect. 
>
> At first I thought perhaps the part was not seated properly, but
> without breaking it loose from its mounting, it doesn't shift.

Bill,

One I received was the same way with a reservoir that wasn't level.
Check the reservoir bracket that extends to the center sill. On my
model this bracket was pushed under the center sill flange (when
looking at the car upside down). I carefully maneuvered the bracket to
rest on top of the center sill flange, and this straightened the
reservoir to become level. Hope this helps.

Bill Schneider, please chime in if I'm giving out bad advice.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Armand Premo

My only complaint,if you can call it that,is that the reweight dates need minor adjustment.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 2:02 PM
Subject: [STMFC] RE: Rapido Meat Reefers - Brake Reservoir

Bill,

When I talked about misaligned parts in my original post, less than horizontal air reservoirs were one of the problems...4 out of 7, along with 3 out of 7 non-vertical brake wheels, 2 warpped roof walks, 50% bent stirrup steps, 100% non-attachment of piping to triple valve, 4 out of 7 cut levers, wire grabs pushed all the way in, leaving no space between the car body, brake levers and rodding not connected and all over the place. The lever hangers are in no way attached to the frame as they should be. Throw away the couplers.

I find it incredulous that others on this list, many involved in the development and research of this model, have experienced no problems.  Mark Feddersen

Bill Schneider

Mark,

As a modeler, normally my first reaction would be… jeez, what did the manufacturer say when you told them about this?

As the manufacturer, I’d tell you that we stand behind our products and if they really are as bad as you say they are, they should have been returned. I’m sorry that you’ve had these issues and I’ll check with Mike and Dan in the main office to find out how they have handled your call. Unfortunately, I believe that we are sold out, but we’ll see what we can do for you as we may have one or two warranty cars left.

I am quite perplexed about some of the issues that you mention though. The brake reservoir issue does seem to be more common than I would like (an… improvement… that the factory seems to have implemented during production and oddly not universal…) but Ed’s suggested fix seems simple enough. ALL of the other issues that you mention (broken steps, loose pipes, loose brake components) really seem to describe a model that has had some VERY rough handling somewhere in shipment.

I have eight production models of my own (chosen at random and shipped via UPS) and about a dozen (don’t ask…) samples from various times during the design process. With the exception of crooked reservoirs on two of the production cars and one crooked brake wheel (easily pushed back vertical) none of these cars seem to suffer from the numerous ills that you describe.

I am working on a document for the factory listing changes that I want to see made in both tooling and production before the next release is produced, chief among these being to beef up the screw mounting boss on the inside floor to prevent the weights breaking loose (again, an issue had not come up before even during packing drop tests) and going back to the “old” way of attaching the reservoir. I’d appreciate if you could send me (off list) some photos of the cars that you have and the issues that you’ve encountered so that we can see if we can identify the cause of the problems and make sure that they don’t happen again. Meanwhile, I’ll see what the guys have been able to do for you.

Bill Schneider

Rapido Trains

From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of feddersenmark@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:03 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com

Bill,

When I talked about misaligned parts in my original post, less than horizontal air reservoirs were one of the problems...4 out of 7, along with 3 out of 7 non-vertical brake wheels, 2 warpped roof walks, 50% bent stirrup steps, 100% non-attachment of piping to triple valve, 4 out of 7 cut levers, wire grabs pushed all the way in, leaving no space between the car body, brake levers and rodding not connected and all over the place. The lever hangers are in no way attached to the frame as they should be. Throw away the couplers.

I find it incredulous that others on this list, many involved in the development and research of this model, have experienced no problems. Mark Feddersen

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

Received my 3 cars today;
    Car 1 nothing wrong
    Car 2 had the "slightly" drooping brake reservoir
    Car 3 nothing wrong

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax--Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tony Thompson

Bill Schneider wrote:

I am quite perplexed about some of the issues that you mention though. The brake reservoir issue does seem to be more common than I would like (an… improvement… that the factory seems to have implemented during production and oddly not universal…) but Ed’s suggested fix seems simple enough. 

I do have one car with a slightly angled reservoir, and Ed's suggestion does not fix it. It appears to me that on my car, the reservoir's support post toward the B end of the car is quite a bit too long. I rotated the reservoir to get at that post and simply clipped it shorter, then re-cemented. Problem solved.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

feddersenmark

Bill,

I bought these cars from my local hobby shop the same day they were received by them. All models came from unopened 4-packs with absolutely no sign of rough handling. I do not believe any damage occurred in shipping. There does not seem to be ANY evidence that any attempt was made to glue the airline to the triple valve or hangers to the frame. I did not open the boxes and remove the models until I got home. Some of the problems I have mentioned and some I have not talked about, are design issues and others are assembly issues. For instance; Two roof walks were prominently bent near their end, approximately at the sprue location...curiously one bent up, the other down. I checked the undecorated kit I bought and it exhibited the same upward bend while still attached to the sprue. The end support was firmly attached to the car body and the roof walk. Yes, an easy fix, but should have been caught by the factory. Same for the three misaligned brake wheels. Very obvious.

On 4 out of 7 assembled models, the brake rodding from the brake wheel housing to the end sill is prominently bent outward. The part seems to be ever so slightly too long and could be easily addressed during assembly. Damaged stirrup steps were mostly bent inbound and seem to have been damaged in the packaging process. In an attempt to very, very carefully straighten them, most broke due to their very small cross section where they meet the side sills. There is not enough material for a good glue joint, so they will need to be replaced.

On one model, the horizontal portion of the brake rod, part #RTR21-06-02, was actually installed over the top of the truck axle as you look at it from the bottom. I removed the truck to correctly position the part. The rest of the brake rigging is a mess...both design and assembly. The location of the rodding is all over the place and on some cars interferes with truck swing. The lever hangers are not and don't seem to be able to be connected to the frame. Therefore, they hang at all different distances and angles to the frame. There are no locator holes in the frame and the lever hangers are not long enough to even reach the frame properly. The air lines from the reservoir to the triple valve are not connected at the valve on 100% of my models seemingly because of a design flaw. We've already talked about the non-horizontal air reservoirs. The cut levers are both poorly executed and wrongly installed. I think the assemblers believe they are some kind of hose...most of mine hanging down like an air line. Scrap the couplers and use KD's. I've had a few loose parts issues such as ladders, door hardware and brake wheels.

Most of the problems I have encountered are an easy fix for me, but may not be for others. After all, that is one of the reasons why others buy pre-assembled models. But, why should they have to fix their models for which they have paid extra for factory assembly? Conversely, why shouldn't I be able to spend slightly less for a decorated kit that I am able to assemble properly in about the same amount of time it will take to fix your factory assembled models? Please consider offering decorated kits. 

I hope you and others can be candid about the assessment of these shortcomings and fix them in the future. You deserve credit for your efforts and I look forward to other paint schemes.  Mark Feddersen

---In STMFC@..., <bschneider424@...> wrote:

Mark,

As a modeler, normally my first reaction would be… jeez, what did the manufacturer say when you told them about this?

As the manufacturer, I’d tell you that we stand behind our products and if they really are as bad as you say they are, they should have been returned. I’m sorry that you’ve had these issues and I’ll check with Mike and Dan in the main office to find out how they have handled your call. Unfortunately, I believe that we are sold out, but we’ll see what we can do for you as we may have one or two warranty cars left.

I am quite perplexed about some of the issues that you mention though. The brake reservoir issue does seem to be more common than I would like (an… improvement… that the factory seems to have implemented during production and oddly not universal…) but Ed’s suggested fix seems simple enough. ALL of the other issues that you mention (broken steps, loose pipes, loose brake components) really seem to describe a model that has had some VERY rough handling somewhere in shipment.

I have eight production models of my own (chosen at random and shipped via UPS) and about a dozen (don’t ask…) samples from various times during the design process. With the exception of crooked reservoirs on two of the production cars and one crooked brake wheel (easily pushed back vertical) none of these cars seem to suffer from the numerous ills that you describe.

I am working on a document for the factory listing changes that I want to see made in both tooling and production before the next release is produced, chief among these being to beef up the screw mounting boss on the inside floor to prevent the weights breaking loose (again, an issue had not come up before even during packing drop tests) and going back to the “old” way of attaching the reservoir. I’d appreciate if you could send me (off list) some photos of the cars that you have and the issues that you’ve encountered so that we can see if we can identify the cause of the problems and make sure that they don’t happen again. Meanwhile, I’ll see what the guys have been able to do for you.

Bill Schneider

Rapido Trains

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of feddersenmark@...
Sent: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:03 PM
To: STMFC@...

Bill,

When I talked about misaligned parts in my original post, less than horizontal air reservoirs were one of the problems...4 out of 7, along with 3 out of 7 non-vertical brake wheels, 2 warpped roof walks, 50% bent stirrup steps, 100% non-attachment of piping to triple valve, 4 out of 7 cut levers, wire grabs pushed all the way in, leaving no space between the car body, brake levers and rodding not connected and all over the place. The lever hangers are in no way attached to the frame as they should be. Throw away the couplers.

I find it incredulous that others on this list, many involved in the development and research of this model, have experienced no problems. Mark Feddersen

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

webotkin

Tony, Ed and all,

Thanks for all the advice on remounting the brake reservoir.  Tony's fix to clip off the end of the post support on the B end of the car and trimming the ends of the mounting brackets above the post solved the problem!  To do that, I had to pop off the whole assembly and enlarge the hole for the post, which was quite easy.

Bill Botkin

Centennial,CO