Rapido Meat Reefers - Brake Reservoir

webotkin

just picked up my three Rapido meat reefers from Caboose Hobbies and though they don't exhibit any problems as previously discussed, I have a question about the brake reservoir:

Viewed from the side of the car, the reservoirs on all three cars are all mounted at an angle with the right side noticeably higher off the rail than the left side.  I have not noticed this on other models and wondered if this correct or a manufacturing defect.

At first I thought perhaps the part was not seated properly, but without breaking it loose from its mounting, it doesn't shift.

Finally, if any one is still looking for these models, Caboose Hobbies in Denver still has  good supply of both the decorated and undecorated kits on the shelf as of yesterday.

Bill Botkin

Centennial,CO

Ed Hawkins

On Feb 4, 2014, at 8:55 AM, <webotkin@ecentral.com> wrote:

Viewed from the side of the car, the reservoirs on all three cars are
all mounted at an angle with the right side noticeably higher off the
rail than the left side.  I have not noticed this on other models and
wondered if this correct or a manufacturing defect.

At first I thought perhaps the part was not seated properly, but
without breaking it loose from its mounting, it doesn't shift.
Bill,
One I received was the same way with a reservoir that wasn't level.
Check the reservoir bracket that extends to the center sill. On my
model this bracket was pushed under the center sill flange (when
looking at the car upside down). I carefully maneuvered the bracket to
rest on top of the center sill flange, and this straightened the
reservoir to become level. Hope this helps.

Bill Schneider, please chime in if I'm giving out bad advice.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

feddersenmark

Bill,

  When I talked about misaligned parts in my original post, less than horizontal air reservoirs were one of the problems...4 out of 7, along with 3 out of 7 non-vertical brake wheels, 2 warpped roof walks, 50% bent stirrup steps, 100% non-attachment of piping to triple valve, 4 out of 7 cut levers, wire grabs pushed all the way in, leaving no space between the car body, brake levers and rodding not connected and all over the place. The lever hangers are in no way attached to the frame as they should be. Throw away the couplers.

   I find it incredulous that others on this list, many involved in the development and research of this model, have experienced no problems.  Mark Feddersen

James E Kubanick

I had the same problem with two of my reefers and corrected them as Ed suggested, above. A third car had a loose cut lever which I corrected with a drop of ACC. My fourth car needed no repairs. All four came from Walthers. Very nice cars once fixed, though.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

> Viewed from the side of the car, the reservoirs on all three cars are
> all mounted at an angle with the right side noticeably higher off the
> rail than the left side.  I have not noticed this on other models and
> wondered if this correct or a manufacturing defect.
>
> At first I thought perhaps the part was not seated properly, but
> without breaking it loose from its mounting, it doesn't shift.

Bill,

One I received was the same way with a reservoir that wasn't level.
Check the reservoir bracket that extends to the center sill. On my
model this bracket was pushed under the center sill flange (when
looking at the car upside down). I carefully maneuvered the bracket to
rest on top of the center sill flange, and this straightened the
reservoir to become level. Hope this helps.

Bill Schneider, please chime in if I'm giving out bad advice.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Armand Premo

    My only complaint,if you can call it that,is that the reweight dates need minor adjustment.Armand Premo