Steam freight car modeling tools - a decent pair of tweezers

Marty McGuirk

I've had it with the collection of "Tool Man" and "Tool Lady" tweezers - I spent a frustrating half hour looking for a part that I managed to flick halfway to the next dimension last night...only to find it on the floor under the modeling desk, pick it up, and flick it off into space again.

Anyone have a recommendation on a pair of modeling tweezers that they absolutlely love? I'm afraid most of mine are going to end up stuck in the wall after being tossed in frustration.

TIA,

Marty McGuirk

Tom Vanwormer

I was given a pair of Surgical Tweezers by my wife's surgeon after he removed her stitches long ago.  It seems most of the instruments are now "throw aways."  I now "swear by" rather than "swear at" them.
Tom VanWormer
Monument CO

Marty McGuirk wrote:

I've had it with the collection of "Tool Man" and "Tool Lady" tweezers - I spent a frustrating half hour looking for a part that I managed to flick halfway to the next dimension last night...only to find it on the floor under the modeling desk, pick it up, and flick it off into space again.

Anyone have a recommendation on a pair of modeling tweezers that they absolutlely love? I'm afraid most of mine are going to end up stuck in the wall after being tossed in frustration.

TIA,

Marty McGuirk

Tony Thompson

 Marty McGuirk wrote:

I've had it with the collection of "Tool Man" and "Tool Lady" tweezers - I spent a frustrating half hour looking for a part that I managed to flick halfway to the next dimension last night...only to find it on the floor under the modeling desk, pick it up, and flick it off into space again.

Anyone have a recommendation on a pair of modeling tweezers that they absolutlely love? I'm afraid most of mine are going to end up stuck in the wall after being tossed in frustration.

     I have used Dumont (Swiss) #3 and #5 tweezers for many years (often specified for electron microscopy, something I did in a previous life) and they are great. Not cheap, though.
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Armand Premo

Join the club Marty.It's all in the game----- Original Message -----
I've had it with the collection of "Tool Man" and "Tool Lady" tweezers - I spent a frustrating half hour looking for a part that I managed to flick halfway to the next dimension last night...only to find it on the floor under the modeling desk, pick it up, and flick it off into space again.

Anyone have a recommendation on a pair of modeling tweezers that they absolutlely love? I'm afraid most of mine are going to end up stuck in the wall after being tossed in frustration.

TIA,

Marty McGuirk

Armand Premo

 My problem seems to be the sea of silver tools and those round ones that roll off the bench.Armand Premo

I've had it with the collection of "Tool Man" and "Tool Lady" tweezers - I spent a frustrating half hour looking for a part that I managed to flick halfway to the next dimension last night...only to find it on the floor under the modeling desk, pick it up, and flick it off into space again.

Anyone have a recommendation on a pair of modeling tweezers that they absolutlely love? I'm afraid most of mine are going to end up stuck in the wall after being tossed in frustration.

TIA,

Marty McGuirk

Bill Welch

Marty:
Hopefully this will not cause a "gold rush" but there are several vintage Dumonts on Ebay right now at nice prices, one pair of #5's starting at .25 cents with four days to go. Other are Buy Now.
Bill Welch

Jack Burgess

Marty...

I wrote an article on tweezers for Model Railroad Hobbyist a year or so ago...this is the main part:

My tweezers were made by Vigor of Switzerland. Vigor has now merged with Peer and their tweezers are sold under the Peer-Vigor name. Similar tweezers are marketed by Dumont. Mine are stainless steel, which is more expensive than the carbon steel ones but stainless steel won’t rust. Carbon steel tweezers are less expensive than stainless steel but harder which makes the tips more durable. But carbon steel tweezers are more likely to break if stressed, are easily magnetized, and can rust when exposed to plain water or even high humidity conditions. Plus, they require proper cleaning, oiling and storage.

I purchased my tweezers from Otto Frei, a jewelers supply outlet in Oakland, CA which now has an extensive online store. This following link will lead to a set of Dumont No. 3 stainless steel tweezers:

                                http://www.ottofrei.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

The number 3 tweezers are near the bottom of the page. These tweezers cost about $25 a pair which probably seems high for such a small tool. That is twice as much as the “tweezers sets” available from some hobby vendors. However, I have never found any need for more than my one pair of No. 3 tweezers. Keep in mind that $25 for my pair of tweezers is only $1 per year for the time that I’ve owned them so far. I fully expect to still be using them 10-15 years from now.

I'll send you the photos that were part of that article directly...

Jack Burgess

I've had it with the collection of "Tool Man" and "Tool Lady" tweezers - I spent a frustrating half hour looking for a part that I managed to flick halfway to the next dimension last night...only to find it on the floor under the modeling desk, pick it up, and flick it off into space again.

Anyone have a recommendation on a pair of modeling tweezers that they absolutlely love? I'm afraid most of mine are going to end up stuck in the wall after being tossed in frustration.

TIA,

Marty McGuirk

Gene Deimling

Marty
I bought a pair of Wiha AA SA-ESD tweezers from Amazon for under $20 including shipping.  German made with a non-slip coating on the body.

Gene Deimling

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

I too was first introduced to the Dumont line of precision tweezers in a graduate school electron microscopy course. We used #5 for handling grids. I did a lot of electron microscopy over the next three years, and I kept some of these tweezers we ‘retired’ due to even a slight imperfection in the points. They have been invaluable in model building, and my oldest pair is 41 years old. I recently purchased a pair of #2a tweezers to facilitate installation of wire grab irons. The flat blade gives a good grip, and it’s helpful in adjusting the standoff distance. I’m with Jack; don’t buy hobby tools. Buy precision instruments, and you will only buy once.

Nelson Moyer

I've had it with the collection of "Tool Man" and "Tool Lady" tweezers - I spent a frustrating half hour looking for a part that I managed to flick halfway to the next dimension last night...only to find it on the floor under the modeling desk, pick it up, and flick it off into space again.

Anyone have a recommendation on a pair of modeling tweezers that they absolutlely love? I'm afraid most of mine are going to end up stuck in the wall after being tossed in frustration.

     I have used Dumont (Swiss) #3 and #5 tweezers for many years (often specified for electron microscopy, something I did in a previous life) and they are great. Not cheap, though.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...

Publishers of books on railroad history

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <mjmcguirk@...> wrote :

I've had it with the collection of "Tool Man" and "Tool Lady" tweezers - I spent a frustrating half hour looking for a part that I managed to flick halfway to the next dimension last night...only to find it on the floor under the modeling desk, pick it up, and flick it off into space again.

Not to worry, Marty. You've just propelled the part into the future. All you have to do is sit and wait patiently, and you are sure to catch up with it eventually.  :-)

Dennis

Tim O'Connor

Instead of trying to describe my tweezers I just took a photo.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45425384@N04/sets/72157642917479595/

The ones to the far left are my favorite -- cheap, light, good grip.
No idea where I found them.

The Xurons next to them are great for tiny stuff, and especially for
precise placement of decals (not to mention poking out air bubbles)

The lock-clamp tweezers are very useful, sometimes used for painting.

The 3 non-locking clamp tweezers are X-Acto, X-Acto, and Kadee, from
left to right.

Tim O'Connor

Peter Burr <pburr47@...>

Marty,

I was astonished to find these on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BG8WW2Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very fine non magnetic micro tweezers, both straight and curved for a ridiculously cheap price! I bought two sets (four tweezers in all) for the princely sum of $9.26! If you are looking for very delicate ones, these are the bee's knees. If you want something more substantial, I like Adson forceps, which you should be able to order from any surgical instrument supplier.

Peter Burr
Nashville, TN
931-808-5125

Make A Promise To Yourself:
I Will Research My News
I Will Accept No Fear Tactics

How tough is the metal? I have several pair of Gyros that look similar (just
all silver), and the stainless is so weak the tips bend easily.

(also in Nashville)

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: Peter Burr <pburr47@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Steam freight car modeling tools - a decent pair of
tweezers

Marty,

I was astonished to find these on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BG8WW2Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UT
F8&psc=1

Very fine non magnetic micro tweezers, both straight and curved for a
ridiculously cheap price! I bought two sets (four tweezers in all) for the
princely sum of $9.26! If you are looking for very delicate ones, these are
the bee's knees. If you want something more substantial, I like Adson
forceps, which you should be able to order from any surgical instrument
supplier.

Peter Burr
Nashville, TN
931-808-5125

Make A Promise To Yourself:
I Will Research My News
I Will Accept No Fear Tactics

Joe Bower <jnbower1@...>

As we all know…….find and substitute a duplicate part, install or assemble it, paint the model, and……there in plain sight is the original part where it’s been all along!

Joe

I've had it with the collection of "Tool Man" and "Tool Lady" tweezers - I spent a frustrating half hour looking for a part that I managed to flick halfway to the next dimension last night...only to find it on the floor under the modeling desk, pick it up, and flick it off into space again.

Not to worry, Marty. You've just propelled the part into the future. All you have to do is sit and wait patiently, and you are sure to catch up with it eventually.  :-)

Dennis

John Sykes III

My workbench looks like a surgeon's office except for the paint on the instruments.  I have been using mostly surgical instruments for years (hell, decades).  I have instruments down to tiny ophthalmic forceps, which are used in cataract surgery.  I have many hemostats (curved & straight), which I use to hold small parts when airbrushing (hence the paint on them).  Good surgical instruments should be heat treated, so should not bend, but I have had one or two  break on me.  My favorites are two pairs of locking forceps, one straight and one curved.  I also have a pair of splinter forceps that work in reverse (you squeeze them to open them and let go to close them).

-- John

P.S.  Also, surgical scalpels are WAY better than anything x-acto makes.  The blades are actually cheaper (if you hunt around a bit), there are many different shapes, they are better balanced and they are a sharp as hell.  Just watch out for the business end of them, they'll slice open your finger in a heartbeat! (been there, done that).

Peter Burr <pburr47@...>

Well, Brian, the very aspect that disappoints you is a specific intentional design feature. The mild stainless is intended to not damage the part being handled. These are great as long as you underst6and that they are *not* intended to grasp something firmly; rather to handle delicate pieces gently.

I agree wholeheartedly with others about tool quality. Buying Jewelers' grade or surgical instruments is by far the best plan in the long run. Start with two or three pieces that are essential and pay the price, then get other nice shiny objects as funds permit over time.

Peter Burr
Nashville, TN
931-808-5125

Make A Promise To Yourself:
I Will Research My News
I Will Accept No Fear Tactics

Anspach Denny <danspachmd@...>

One gets what one pays for.

For years, I have used good German/Swiss/USA  surgical tweezers that came my way professionally many years ago (the major number from neophyte frustrated surgeons blaming their ham-handedness on perfectly good -and expensive- tools, which they threw across the room, to be never used again legally). I gathered them all up.  As these have worn I have repeatedly dipped my toe in the water of flea market and even Micro Mark cheap hand tools, almost always disappointed in their very low quality.

 I believe that it was Tony Thompson about 15 years ago that put me on to the extremely fine Swiss Dumont/Vigor tweezers used in the electronics industry,  the very type and line of  tweezers that Jack Burgess refers to. My very, very favorite is the curved-serrated-tip #7B Dumont. It is pricey, but worth every single cent (yes!), and they will last for years and years if you do not drop them on a concrete floor.  I keep two, placing a bit of tubing over the tips when not used. Like Jack Burgess, I also purchase them from on line Otto Frei in Oakland (they also have a lot of other neat stuff that appeals to critical modelers).  Mont Switzer uses the same tweezers. He about went into withdrawal when he recently lost them until I provided him the Otto Frei life line.

These fine tweezers are natural extensions of my fingers.

And for those who are interested….the reprehensible  surgical behavior that I described was frowned upon then, and to day would be rightly subject to termination.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

Marty McGuirk

Thanks to all who offered suggestions - and event those who couldn't help a laugh at my expense (yes, I'm looking at your Dennis....). As I told Jack Burgess last night, even though a good pair of tweezers isn't cheap they're cheaper than the last tool I bought (a milliing machine).

By way of update (again, I'm looking at you Dennis):

I'm happy to report the space/time continum has caught up with the missing part and it (a Details Associates brake reservoir) was found late last night.....Bad news it was discovered by Beauregard, our male Basset Hound who promptly decided it posed some sort of threat to the planet and had to be destroyed - or at least chewed up and spit out.

Tweezers - 1, Me - 0

Time to go shopping.

Thanks again,

Marty

gtws00

I see Dumont Tweezers on Amazon priced from 20 dollars to 50 dollars. Are the ones for 20 some dollars OK?

George Toman

riverman_vt@...

Hi folks,

    Those seeking tools might also try a good jewelers supply firm. Hub Jeweler's Supply on Washington St. in Boston used to be great for tools but I'm not certain they are still in business. But Stuller's is still around and have all sorts of things of use to the serious model maker or builder. They can be found at www.stuller.com and have a site for tools that will blow most folks' minds.

Cordially, Don Valentine