Accurail Single Sheathed Box Car - Straight Sill

Rossiter, Mark W <Mark.Rossiter@...>

I am looking for an article that appeared in one of the modeling magazines back in the 1990’s that described replacing the stock fishbelly underframe on an Accurail single sheathed box car with a straight sill.  I am aware of the Tim T. Swan article that appeared in the June 1997 issue of Model Railroading, but that is not the article I had in mind.  A search using the TRAINS.COM magazine index was of no further help.  I’m hoping someone on this list has more organized reference notes than I do.

Mark Rossiter

John Sykes III

Mark:

Just take a piece of Evergreen styrene channel, trim one of the flanges off and glue that edge into the slot the fishbelly beam would go in.  I forget the channel size I used, it is just one out of the parts box that looks right.

-- John

Benjamin Hom

Mark Rossiter asked:
"I am looking for an article that appeared in one of the modeling magazines back in the 1990’s that described replacing the stock fishbelly underframe on an Accurail single sheathed box car with a straight sill.  I am aware of the Tim T. Swan article that appeared in the June 1997 issue of Model Railroading, but that is not the article I had in mind.  A search using the TRAINS.COM magazine index was of no further help.  I’m hoping someone on this list has more organized reference notes than I do."

Try John Nehrich's "Bettendorf Boxcar" from the August 1996 issue of Mainline Modeler, where he describes doing stand-in models for M-K-T and C&NW cars from the Accurail kits.

Mainline Modeler plays hell with the magazine index - one of Hundman's bad habits was using completely vague non-descriptive titles for articles.

Ben Hom

Jeremy Dummler

Ben,
I’m not familiar with the article you are looking for, however, Central Valley Model Works sells a steel under frame kit for 40’ cars that will fit the Accurail cars.  http://www.shop.cvmw.com/40ftSteelUnderFrameKit-3-1000.htm

Hope that helps.

Jeremy Dummler
Wauconda, IL

Mark Rossiter asked:

Jeremy Dummler wrote:
"I’m not familiar with the article you are looking for, however, Central Valley Model Works sells a steel under frame kit for 40cars that will fit the Accurail cars." http://www.shop.cvmw.com/40ftSteelUnderFrameKit-3-1000.htm

It's from their NP stock car kit; however, it WILL NOT fit the Accurail car without work as it's too wide for the original prototype, much less a single-sheathed boxcar.  Also, IIRC, the kingpin-to-striker spacing may not work for the SS prototypes that can be represented by the Accurail boxcar.

Ben Hom

destorzek@...

One of the reasons I've never bothered to make straight sill parts for the Accurail "4000 Series" floor is they are so easy to make from strip styrene.

Prototype straight center sills from the era depicted by the kit were universally 12" channel, with a steel cover plate riveted to their tops. The cover plate and top flanges are already modeled on the floor. Scale 12" channel would be .138" deep, and the easiest way to get there is to combine .125 (1/8") strip (I use .030 thick as it's a good fit in the grooves in the floor) with .015 x .060 strip for the bottom flange. This totals .140 deep, a scale 1/8" off, and works well with the crossbearer cover plates molded on the floor, which end up looking like they pass under the sills, as they should.

Dennis Storzek
Accurail, Inc.

Mark.Rossiter@...

Thanks Dennis!  That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Mark.Rossiter@...

Thanks for the info Ben.  I have a complete set of MM, so I'll ltake a look when I get home tonight.  The font size on the magazine summary page included in each issue got smaller and smaller to the point of being microscopic towards the end.   TRAINS.COM didn't tag the article you referenced at all.

Mark Rossiter

David Vinci

The article you’re looking for can be found in The Keystone Modeler No. 84, Spring 2013.  It is written by Bruce Smith and has the details you need.

Dave Vinci

O=='=::

Bruce Smith

Well, to be precise, the article describes doing this with the Accurail Reefer to model FGE family cars, and is based on Greg Martin and Company's Shake and Take for the Kahn's reefers at Cocoa.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL